“Couldn't Be Better”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This was my second stay at this Westin, and I could not have asked for a better experience. I had to rush off as soon as I checked in, but I had two badly wrinkled articles of clothing which I left at the front desk. When I returned, they were beautifully ironed - and I discovered when I left that there was no charge for that.
The staff manages to mix professionalism and friendliness; I felt very welcome and well cared for. I would be more than delighted to return and would hope for the third time to have that lovely room adjoining the pool.

Room Tip: I adjoined the pool, down the hall from the gym. Although I didn't swim, sitting by the pool wa...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear JaniceB08,
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your stay. We aim to have our guests feel well-cared for and it thrills me to read that is how you felt. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back and having you enjoy your favorite poolside room.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel is very basic. There is a small gym and a small pool. Staff is friendly and effective. Environment is quiet and their heavenly beds are comfortable. The courtyard inside the hotel is beautiful. The hotel is next to Stanford University. We always walked to different spots in the University - 15 minute to the Visitor Centre and 25 minutes to the Main Quad. It was nice walking inside the beautiful Stanford. It is a five minutes walk to the Country and Town Village in which there are a couple of nice restaurants and shops.

Dear GOAL_spring,
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor,
I am pleased to hear that you were able to explore and enjoy our staff, the neighboring area, our Heavenly beds and serene courtyards. Please let us know if we might assist you with anything in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went here and it was amazing! I will definitely be coming back here. The rooms are clean, updated and fairly spacious, especially for the location. Right off the street from University Ave with a pool in the center. Loved it and will do it again when I need a stay vacation!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks into the pool or another area to maximize your experience :)

Dear Barbstheword,
Amazing! Love it, thank you for the glowing review. We look forward to welcoming you back for another staycation!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Always happy to arrive to a warm welcome, always a little sad to leave.

Counting the days till my return.

Great to see everyone again, felt like I had just left the day before instead of seven long months.

Somethings change, but the warmth and hospitality here does not.

Enjoyed two wonderful Sunday Brunches and many breakfasts in Soleil.

The ‘leftover take out breakfast’ made for great lunches when I was out and about.

Location is ideal for shopping and the cal-train.

Perfect weather made it ideal to enjoy the pool and spa.

See you in October.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear Pinky23_10,
It was great to see you again Pinky, thank you for being our guest! We look forward to seeing you in a few months. Let us know if you need anything at all.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed in a number of Westin hotels and while the location of this property cannot be beat, I would not consider this one of the chain's finest. The hotel was clean and as always the beds were outstanding, however, the hotel was very small with very tight facilities. There were limited dining options, a very small pool, and an incredibly small with a very limited number of equipment types and quantities. Given the location and the Westin branding, I would have looked for a bit more upscale amenities. Staff were nice, but didn't seem to have the relaxed nature that my other Westin experiences have demonstrated. They seemed rushed, a bit disorganized, etc. Overall not a bad experience, but not one I have come to expect from a premium brand like Westin.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear es_in_tx,
Thank you for being our guest. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness of our property and comfort of our Heavenly Beds, this makes us quite proud. I apologize that you found the overall experience disorganized and rushed. This is not at all the norm for us and any additional information that you could provide will help in remedying it for the future. I would very much appreciate it if you would reach out to me at tfleming@pahotel.com with more specifics.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed for a wedding weekend. Perfect location with a shopping center with various small restaurants and a Trader Joe's behind the hotel and a short walk to University St. with more and interesting restaurants and shops. Across the street from Stanford University. No restaurant in the hotel itself, just a breakfast room that closes at 10:30 AM. The Sheraton next door has a restaurant . Great week-end rate. Pool small, especially if you want to entertain children.

Dear vamanos,
Thank you for sharing your weekend experience at our hotel with the TripAdvisor community. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the surrounding area. I am very sorry to hear that a member of our staff provided incorrect information about our restaurant. Restaurant Soleil, located above the lobby on the second floor, offers breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, as well as 24 hour room service. Again, I am sorry for the misinformation.
We hope to serve you again,

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I am a Starwood Preferred member so wanted to use the Westin, but it was pretty underwhelming and dingy. I had a room on the pool (small pool) and it looked like it had been ridden hard. The carpet was stained in many places. The air conditioning never cooled the room. The room itself was not up to Westin standards and needed a facelift. The lobby is pretty ok, and the pool was quaint. The room service and meals were worse than average, albeit edible. The location is good for Stanford, which is why I'm guessing this place stays busy. I've since stayed at the Four Seasons on my last trip, and of course there is no comparison. But here's the kicker -- I paid less for the Four Seasons than for the Westin. And the Four Seasons was flawless in every respect -- rooms, meal quality, pool, spa, business operations, etc. I'd rather pay double for the Four Seasons, but it was actually cheaper on this past trip. Oh, and the room next to me had a barking dog all day and night, which made for sleepless nights during critical business. Calls to the office were met with: "There's nothing we can do." Not even an apology or refund or free cocktail. A lot of hotels (including the Four Seasons) are booked for my upcoming trips, but I am trying hard not to stay at the Westin honestly. One positive other than the location: the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the pool unless you have kids and want a vacation day -- doors open to pool. The...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LegalEyeDallasTexas

Dear LegalEyeDallasTexas,
Thank you for your feedback via TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to make amends. Please reach out to me at tfleming@pahotel.com or by calling 650.321.4422 to allow us the opportunity. Although our rooms will be completely renovated at the end of the year, our intent is always to maintain the rooms until then and we will address your room accordingly.
I hope to hear from you.