“Beautiful and convenient!”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Like every Westin we have ever stayed at, this one also proved to be very nice. The location is perfect, within walking distance to the cute strip mall (Town & Country) and to downtown Palo Alto. We parked for free on the street because it is a safe area. Our son was not given a kid's fun pack by the receptionist as other reviewers mentioned -- not sure if our receptionist was having a bad day or just didn't remember. The rooms are very elegantly adorned and the bathroom is absolutely gorgeous! There is also fresh coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning which I greatly appreciated. Would definitely stay here again next time we travel to Palo Alto.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cvliang
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear cvliang,
Thank you for sharing your experience via Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your visit, including our rooms and bathrooms, location and added touches such as coffee and tea in the morning. I was disappointed to hear that your young one did not receive a Westin Kids' Club bag and will address with our team to ensure consistency in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Call me cheap or call me thrifty, but for what we paid for this room, it had BETTER be decent. It was quite nice, although we were at the far back of the property, and the hallways are more confusing than a halloween corn maze. Beds are awesome. Bath was exquisite, though the shower was a just tad cramped (with the sq feet in the bathroom, making the shower stall a bit larger wasn't an issue.) Seperate tub was a nice size. Staff was very nice to work with and did their best to assure we were happy. Overnight parking was $10, and valet was $15...so we figured for the extra $5 it was worth it to have them park our car; when you see the underground parking you'll probably agree to let them deal with it.
We stayed here because a family member was in nearby Stanford Medical Center. We paid $135 for a Saturday evening, $255 for Sunday (same room), and couldn't get Monday because the hotel was booked. If we'd been able to keep the room, the price rose to $419. The $255 I can understand and might grumble about (but would pay), but there's no way I would've stayed here for the $419 price quoted for Monday. I understand Microsoft vendors stay here often and get a great corporate rate. Yay them and boo me.
With a walking mall just down the street, we chose to have dinner in one of the many local restaurants rather than at the hotel. (Another in our party tried it and said the food was good, and moderately priced.) We talked to a Palo Alto cop who assured us this was a safe neighborhood for walking to local shops and nearby Stanford Mall.
Didnt use the wifi because it was $15/day and I have 3G in my tablet. Didnt try the pool due to chilly weather but some brave souls were out in it and it looked well-maintained. Various water features around the property give a nice, relaxing, backyard sort of feel. Despite the higher-than-I'm-used-to rate, I'd stay again.

Room Tip: Quite, relaxing property. Great weekend rates, but find someplace else during the week.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug R
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Doug R,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of our hotel. We understand that the rates in the area can be higher than many are used to and are pleased that you were able to take advantage of our lower weekend rates. We hope that your family member is fairing well.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Westin for our vacation in Palo Alto California. The hotel was spotless clean. The gentleman behind the reception immediately whipped together a goodie bag of gifts for our young kids. All of us had a fabulous time.

If you are looking for a quiet place to stay right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of Silicon Valley, then this is the best place to stay. Especially so for families on vacation.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank RPI-Alum
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear RPI- Alum,
It's great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation at the Westin Palo Alto. I expect our team enjoys giving out the Westin Kids Club bags almost as much as the kids enjoy receiving them. We hope that you will come back and see us again.
All the best,

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not much has changed since I last stayed at the Westin Palo Alto five years ago. The hotel is comfortable and conveniently located, but customer service is not the hotel's strong point.

The staff is always polite and professional, but otherwise useless. Any special requests are met with a "sorry, we can't/won't do that." The staff at this Westin should read my other recent review for the Grand Hyatt Taipei and take some lessons - you're more likely get repeat business visitors if you try finding solutions rather than defaulting to "no."

On one evening, the hotel's internet service -- which is NOT free - broke. Multiple calls to the front desk got little more than a polite "I'm sorry" with no indication that the staff was trying to escalate the issue. If you're traveling on business, as I was, this is not acceptable, especially if the hotel charges about $15 daily for internet service.

The swimming pool had debris in it and didn't look like anybody had cleaned it in a while. (To be fair, the temperature outside never got above 60 while I stayed there, but that doesn't excuse a dirty pool.)

With all that being said, the beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean, the location is within walking distance to University Avenue, and the valet always returned my car quickly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NooYawkuh
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear NooYawkuh,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience via Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the cleanliness, location and comfort of our hotel but disappointed that interactions with a member of our team left something to be desired. I would appreciate further details so that we are able to address and improve for the future. Please feel free to reach out to me at tfleming@pahotel.com. Again, thank you for the feedback and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
Tanya

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Over the last 4 years, I have stayed at numerous hotels in the Palo Alto area, and none come close to my great experience at the Westin. It has the best location to Stanford & downtown. It is always immaculate (the room, lobby, fitness & pool areas). The room rates are always reasonable for the value you are receiving. And my favorite reason for staying here is that the staff never says no! The front desk always accommodates any request I have, which is very refreshing. In the future, whenever visiting the Palo Alto area, I will always stay at the Westin.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank j k
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This lovely hotel could appear to be too much like a museum where everything is beautiful but you don't want to touch it. The staff made all the difference in providing warmth and personality. Our check-in was prompt and efficient, though they won our 4 year old's heart. She was given a Westin kids pack that had a wonderful sun hat, "map of the world", and decorate your own postcards. What a surprise! We've stayed at other Westin properties but have never been offered such a sweet welcome for the kiddo. I'm not sure if we lucked into a more kid friendly property or if this is a new Westin program. Needless to say, after we unpacked in our spacious pool-view room, our little explorer was donning her new hat and pack.

Our room was bumped to a Starwood preferred room which gave us complimentary bottles of water and corner location. Our bathroom was the size of a small bedroom with a soaking tub on one side, an enclosed glass rain shower on the other. Our bed was luxurious and room super quiet, despite being next to a side street.

We did not eat in the hotel. Hubby used the gym and gave it the thumbs up. I should have worked out and taken advantage of the use of Nike workout clothes and shoes, as I did not bring my own. Hopefully this will be a feature in our next Westin stay so I can try it. Smart marketing.

Would love to stay here again as the location is prime and the room was perfect.

Room Tip: If you have the Starwood program but purchased on an external site, they still might upgrade you to...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LLori
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The valet met our vehicle immediately and unloaded our baggage onto a cart (hanging the jackets, of course!). We were checked in and shown to our room in a very prompt and courteous manner. We were given information about the area and engaged in pleasant conversation on the way to our room. Our bags were brought into our room and set on the luggage racks. Our jackets were hung in the closet and our ice bucket was filled. We were asked if we need anything further or any other assistance. The room was very nice and overlooked a courtyard garden. The spa-like bathroom was beautiful with marble and contemporary fixtures. It was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family