“Mini cockroach and terrible room service”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed January 10, 2013

So it was bad enough arriving and walking into my room which like other travellers evoked a La Quinta or Best Western feel for $459 a night. Then to have a tiny cockroach climb past my business associates head and have a room service menu of chili con carne or something else terrible was too much. Never coming back.

• Stayed: January 2013
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Dear travellnightmares,
I am very sorry to hear that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. I would appreciate it if you would reach out to me offline so that we might make amends, my email is tfleming@pahotel.com. It must have been very upsetting for you and your colleague and I hope that you will accept my sincerest apology Please know that I am probably as surprised as you to hear of the incident mentioned and we have addressed the matter accordingly. I am also sorry to hear that our limited overnight room service menu was not to your liking, I have shared this feedback with our Food and Beverage team for consideration. This overnight offering is intended as a convenience for our guests and we certainly want it to live up to the standard of our daytime offering.
Warmest Regards,
Tanya Fleming

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I've stayed in Westin hotels all over the world and this was one of the better Westin's I've stayed at. Here are some general comments on my stay.

Positives: - Service was very friendly and efficient. Everything I asked for was done on time and
effectively.
- Hotel is within walking distance to University avenue and the shops and restaurants in
downtown Palo Alto. Stanford University is more or less across the street. Thus the location is great for those with a stay focusing on Palo Alto.
- Rooms are clean and quite comfortable with all the needed amenities. Room had two free bottle waters which is not common for hotels in the US. I also received free Wifi as an SPG member.

Negatives: - The only one I could think of is that the hallways that lead to your room are a bit windy and confusing. This is nothing that the Westin can control at this point and wasn't a major issue.

Overall I had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel for those staying in the Silicon Valley area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NJtoSH
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Located right across the street from Stanford campus and close proximity to downtown Palo Alto. Great staff at front desk (Junious always welcomes me back by name) , restaurant and bar (Marilyn is the best!). Large, comfortable rooms, cozy sitting areas in lobby, and great breakfast buffet. I stay here four to five times a year and always have an exceptional stay.

1  Thank MLR179
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Spent a night here for a birthday celebration. This was a nice room. I was fortunate enough to stay in a room with the fireplace and jetted tub. Its a nice sized room with a loveseat in front of the fireplace and flat screen tv. The bathroom was pretty large, with the shower and toilet in one room and the vanity and jet tub in the other part. Shower had double dual head showers. This was a very nice hotel that I'd definitely stay at again. It was on the pricey side for us, but a nice stay and worth it.

Room Tip: "Away from an elevator" is a good walk from the elevators. Fireplace rooms are on 1 and 2...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank James B
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Pros:

- Oversized room in great condition with all the very best of comfy Westin trappings
- Beautiful large bathroom
- Friendly, well trained staff (GREAT lobby bartender and front desk clerks)
- Easily accessible, reasonably priced self parking
- Prime location in Palo Alto near Stanford and the downtown area
- Homey, elegant feel to the entire property

Cons:

- Room service food quality (particularly dinner) is downright awful
- Hallway and neighboring room noise was excessive, even with minimal occupancy
- Long walk through the windy hallway to the room proved mildly cumbersome at times
- Ancillary costs for bottled water, food, beverages, and service fees border on unreasonable

Summary:

This hotel is well managed. The base room rates seem fair and reasonable. Definitely stay here, but eat elsewhere -- the property is in need of major improvements to the room service food offerings.

Room Tip: Rooms away from El Camino Real are quieter.
1  Thank GlobalTrekPro
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was in Palo Alto recently for a visit to the Stanford campus. My husband made reservations at the Westin Palo Alto, and it was a great choice. The Westin is located right across the street from campus. Stanford is a large campus of about 1700 acres. Getting around could be difficult, but the Westin is just across the street. The Westin is located very close to the downtown Palo Alto shopping and restaurant scene, and just a couple of blocks from the Palo Alto Transit Center where a person can get the CALTRAIN to San Francisco or the lower peninsula, as well as several buses which service San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties. Marguerite, the Stanford shuttle, also stops at the Palo Alto Transit Center. So, the hotel's location is a real plus. The hotel itself was pleasant and offers food. The breakfast buffet was basic, not imaginative, and not particuarly good. That is really my only low point. The rooms were pleasant and services were very good.

1  Thank rosalie s
Reviewed December 7, 2012

When I travel to the penisula to visit family, I stay at the Westin. The hotel is lovely and the staff are warm, welcoming, caring, and knowledgeable folks. Not only are the room accommodations superior, but the hotel ammenities are the ones I need: fitness center, secure parking, and business center. I regularly enjoy the morning coffee/tea service in the lobby and occasionally take advantage of the lounge, restaurant, and gift shop. In addition, the Westin Palo Alto is conveniently located and within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants. Certainly, the hotel fulfills all my travel needs and I don't stay anywhere else when in Palo Alto.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family