“Pleasant business hotel- great town”

The Westin Palo Alto
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Visiting silicon valley for three days for work
Commuted to San Jose to avoid the uglyness of San Jose- Palo Alto really is charming and this hotel is perfectly located to enjoy Palo Alto.

The hotel- pretty bland from the outside
Located by the side of the road- though no noise from my room overlooking a parking lot.
Self Parking at 10bucks a day is totally fair- 15 bucks for valet
Room was spacious and the linens of good quality- nothing earth shattering- but nice.
Good sized TV
Toileteries were nice and all the little extras were there- q-tips etc.

What I didnt like:
Internet- 15 bucks a day but you can only connect one device at a time! C'mon guys.
Some rooms have this overly elaborate dual shower head in the room which looks impressive- but frankly the pressure wasnt great with one head...tried with two....underwhelming.
Gym was nice- a bit cramped - especially the dumb bell area....really weak....but the cardio machines were adequate.
Pay TV prices were too high for my taste
Pool looked nice but was too small to merit jumping in....towels nicely rolled up on the loungers....just not enough time for me to make the effort.

What I liked best?
The staff. I don't say this often, but I had consistently pleasant interactions with every single member. Restaurant recommendations, recommendations for a run around Stanford campus, etc etc....nice people!

Special note to the service where they can lend guests sneakers, shorts, socks and a t-shirt for a workout- LOVE IT.

Overall a pleasant stay. I would stay again and recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Dear Duder13,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We are so pleased that you enjoy our staff and Palo Alto as a base when in the South Bay for business. I am sorry to hear of the issue with the shower head. If you haven't already, we would apprecaite knowing the room number so that it can be remedied for future guests. Internet should have been billed at $9.95 per 24 hour period and when a guest has numerous devices, the Front Desk will adjust off any additional charges. Unfortunately, our system is not capable of recognizing multiple devices in the same room automatically. Please reach out to me so that we can adjust your bill accordingly at tfleming@pahotel.com.
Again, I am sorry that we did not live up to your expectations in that regard and we would appreciate the opportunity to fix it.
We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed in the Westin Palo Alto for three nights on business. It was lovely. Ahead of time I'd called and asked for a quiet room on their highest floor. My request was granted, something that doesn't always happen if you get a group rate. I don't know if being a part of the hotel chain's reward program helps or not, but my room was lovely and quiet, the bed very comfortable, the room service good (food in the restaurant was better) and staff was very helpful and friendly.
The hotel could not find my rental car one morning and I was planning on driving to the conference. I got a cab ride with a friend. The woman at the front desk later offered without prompting to pay for my cab. That's unusual.
When my conference was over, I got lost on my way back to the airport. I had already checked out of the hotel. I called from my car and a hotel staff person helped guide me back to the correct highways. I had to call her twice and she was very pleasant and helpful.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor towards the back of the hotel, overlooking a patio. There was a group event d...

Dear MartinG32655,
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that we lived up to your expectations and in some areas exceed them. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Palo Alto Westin while on our honeymoon in Sept 2012. The room was very quiet and the bed was super comfortable. The bathroom was huge and we loved the heavenly shower head. The hotel is right next to the CalTrain station, so it is very easy to take a train from the airport or into downtown San Francisco. We will definitely stay here again if we're in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear db1985,
Congratulations on your recent nuptials. We consider ourselves lucky to have been part of your honeymoon and the memories that will last a lifetime.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you again,

Reviewed September 22, 2012

The Westin Palo Alto is a sophisticated oasis across from Stanford University. The superb staff is attentive from the moment you arrive--as you enter the hotel, it has a marvelous fragrance and an elegant but comfortable ambiance. The staff could not be more attentive, friendly or efficient! You will feel welcome and well taken care of every moment. The only regret is not enough time to enjoy everything!

Room Tip: The rooms are built around charming courtyards. I've yet to experience one I didn't love! t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear WilliamF,
Thank you for sharing your views of our hotel with the Trip Advisor community. We are overjoyed that you enjoy our associates, guest rooms, and locale. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, please let us know if we can assist you with anything at all.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My few days in this hotel were fine--convenient location, quick check-in, very clean, pleasant room, internet connection fine.... Yes, it's a big of a maze, but it's a big hotel. Nothing special, but fine. Except, gym is very small (a few aerobic machines plus free weights) and pool is pathetically small (and the water disgusting). But if you just need a good room, then the Stanford area can't really do better.

1  Thank taipeipeter

Dear taipeipeter,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that your experience was "solid" and that we are your preferred hotel when in the Palo Alto/Stanford area. I am very sorry to hear that we did not live up to your expectations completely and am having a member of our team investigate further as to the issue with the pool. Thank you for the feedback as it can only help us to improve.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Check in was quick and friendly, the room was very comfortable and the breakfast buffet was delicious. My main complaints are that the electronic keys for entering/exiting the garage did not work and no paper was delivered to the room. The courtyard view was uninspiring and we never saw anybody in the courtyards or pool. Layout is a bit strange. All in all, this property is a solid base in Palo Alto given the right price. We were in town for our son's medical appointment and we will return to this hotel. I don't know if I received an upgraded room as a Platinum but the bathroom was great with an enclosed shower and separate tub. Otherwise it was standard Westin.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear terere2,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community and for staying with us. We're elated to hear that you enjoyed our associates, guest room and bathroom, and Restaurant Soleil. I am following up with our team to research the issues you experienced with our parking exit card reader, I am very sorry for the disappointment to you. In our effort to go green, we do not deliver newspapers to all rooms, rather to guests who opt for delivery at check in. I am sorry that did not happen appropriately for you and will ensure that the protocol is reviewed with our front office team. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to serving you again upon your return. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even more comfortable for you and your family, next time around.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed here one night after attending a Stanford football game. The room was nice and the price was good. The service was lacking. The staff were pleasant enough. But considering the hotel was packed, they were understaffed and everything was slow:

--Front desk reception was slow.
--Service in the bar after the game was slow.

And two pet peeves about the service:
(1) Our room was not ready at the check-in time of 3:00 p.m. Hotels want to ding us if we don't check out on the dot, and they should be equally accountable if we are cheated of any of the time we paid for. There should be a discount on the room or a voucher for the restaurant or something. It really borders on fraud when a business doesn't deliver what the customer paid for.
(2) The housekeeper busted in on us at 9:30 when we were checking out at 11:00. Yes, we could have put the privacy hanger on the door, but it doesn't seem that hard to keep track of who's checking out and then leave the room alone until checkout time (or until the front desk notifies them that the customer has checked out). ALSO: The alarm clock went off and woke us up at an ungodly hour on a Sunday. The housekeepers should be trained to check this when preparing rooms for a new guest and disable the alarm. Also, idiot hotel guests who do this to the next customer (and this is NOT the first time this has happened to me) should be banned for life.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank leftydana

Dear leftydana,
Thank you for reaching out via Trip Advisor, I am very sorry to hear of your experience. What you experienced is inexcusable and very unusual for our property. So that I may make amends, please reach out to me directly at tfleming@pahotel.com. I look forward to hearing from you.