All reviews heavenly bed stanford university separate tub walking distance self parking room service front desk staff close to downtown small pool restaurants and shops silicon valley the room was nice internet connection location is great rooms are large el camino soleil
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I stayed at the Westin while in Palo Alto for business. Overall, I was happy with my experience--I had previously stayed at the Sheraton next door, and the Westin felt better overall to me. Newer, bigger rooms, generally one step up (though the Sheraton is nice enough).

That said, I always feel like hotels in Palo Alto are overpriced. As convenient as the Westin is, and as great as the staff is (both true), I have trouble with prices of over $400/night for a Westin. But the Sheraton is rarely much different, so the market is what it is. Just something to be aware of.

The staff was incredibly kind and helpful--from the women at the front desk, to those who delivered room service (food was great, btw--excellent burger in particular), the bartender, and the cleaning staff. The workout center is small, but has new equipment. Be warned though, at 6 AM, you'll have to take your chances if you want an elliptical. There are only 3 machines, and they go first!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2012

Dear MrsAWW,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I'm pleased that you found our staff to be incredibly kind and helpful. We go through great efforts to ensure we have the best people and love to hear when it is apparent to our guests. I am sorry that you found the rates to be quite and wanted to let you know that although our rates are at their highest most Tuesday and Wednesdays, guests can often secure lower rates on Thursdays-Mondays if they are lucky enough to have flexibility as to when they might stay. We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Helpful staff, great location close to Stanford & Caltrain station & downtown.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear OnthetrailCanada,
Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed our staff, location and proximity to CalTrain, the Stanford campus and downtown Palo Alto. Please come back and see us again.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I continue to stay at the Westin Palo Alto. Even though not all the front staff know or recognize me anymore, and I have more anonymity than ever, I am still ALWAYS treated as if I'm the most important person in the world when I check in. Another reviewer pointed out the 'maze' element, but that's a toss-away. The rooms are great, fast internet, great HDTV, good work out area, and great restaurant and bar. Consistent, high quality hotel near all the action in Palo Alto at Sudbury.

Room Tip: I've stayed all over the hotel, on all levels - I've never had a bad room. There is a commuter train station a couple of hundred yards away on the back, but you have to listen for it to hear it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear mdphdbfd,
Thank you for this second contribution for the Trip Advisor community. We're pleased to still have you staying with us and that you are enjoying our property. Please let us know if you need anything at all.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times now over the years when my family rolls into town for the holidays. It is a consistent property I think; but its unlike any Westin that you'd expect. For starters, it's only a couple of stories high and it looks like a very generic, unremarkable, 'side-of-the-interstate' sort of hotel from the outside. It does blend in nicely with the surrounding area though. Part of how the inside is laid out is also very generic. The rooms are a bit of a "maze" from the elevator as well. Inside it is still Westin like I think, but it lacks an extra spark.

The rooms are nicely appointed with large bathrooms. The lobby is also quite good but needs an update I think. Whole place could use a bit of a facelift to modernize everything.

Westin heavenly bed was FANTASTIC. Slept great. Can't go wrong with the heavenly bed here, and that's a main selling point I think.

Staff here was quite good too. They were able to point me in the right direction to catch the train into SF and the people at the front desk were quite helpful.

There is a restaurant here now which I noticed when we checked in. I don't recall one the last time I visited (which was 2006). That is a nice added touch I think although sadly I did not get to utilize it. The Sheraton next door is where we used to have to do breakfast back in the day from what I remember.

If we come to Palo Alto again, we will likely stay here - it is a consistent hotel; things are good, it is clean, but its also unremarkable and doesn't leave a lasting impression. But if you stay here, you should get a great nights sleep and have a pleasant stay I think.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SQ452
westinpaloaltoGM, General Manager at The Westin Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear SQ452,
Thank you for the compliments regarding our Heavenly Beds, large bathrooms, and helpful staff - we are proud to have met your expectations. I am sorry that you found our hallways mazelike. We are happy to accommodate requests to be closer to the lobby which mitigates this issue. I anticipate by the next time you visit our property, we will have completed a renovation of our fitness center and hallways throughout the hotel. Please let me know if I may ever assist you with anything and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

I stayed recently with my three kids for a week in Palo Alto, while visiting my mom. The hotel was terrifically central to town and country (a large upscale strip mall if you will, with trader joes, some cafes, restaurants, cvs and shops). The westin is right across from Stanford and boarders downtown palo alto. The room was large and clean and the bathroom really sizable with both a full tub and shower. Our room overlooked the swimming pool which was on the smaller side but heated and well maintained with a hot tub. The front desk was so friendly and the stay was easy and without fuss. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Dear Piezer,
I am pleased to hear that you and your children had an enjoyable stay and appreciate you staying with us. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again the next time you visit your mother. Warmest Regards,