“a nice find”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a good restaurant and bakery, We have gone several times and have not been disappointed. On a nice day you can sit outside, they have good salads, and the bakery is very good.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

On a warm California weekend, a good place to eat in Palo Alto is on the patio under the giant tree at the Mayfield Bakery and Cafe. Although the location is very nice, the attitude of the hostess leaves something to be desired. When we showed up at 4 pm and saw there were several empty tables on the patio, we asked to be seated outside. The hostess looked really put out and babbled something about there not being any tables. When we pointed out to her that there were several she said that they needed to be cleared off. It was a bit annoying to say the least. The service generally is a little lax at times (we had to wait 10 minutes to get a spoon so we could eat our soup) but generally alright. The brunch menu is served most of the day on Sundays with little variety besides breakfast foods even at 4 pm. Otherwise, the lunch and dinner menus during the week are solid if unimaginative. If you are able to eat outside, it is the location that makes it.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stumbled upon this quaint cafe/bakery restaurant recently but we were greatly disappointed with our entrees. The artichoke/goat cheese pizza was only so-so and for $17 lunch item, I expected it to be something I'd want to write home about. The artichoke leaves were not the tender leaves and the long stringy greens took away from the presentation. The goat cheese was fresh and the light mint was a nice accent but the combination really didn't work well together when considering presentation and flavor. Definitely overpriced for the lunch. My partners noodles had been obviously reheated and so were a bit crunchy, in which she did not finish her meal. We were there at a busy time and thus, waited for service. Not recommended when there are great food places abound.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

When a last minute fire shut down The Village Pub, I had one hour to move my business party of 28 and thankfully we moved it here. The restaurant was extremely accommodating and pulled out all the stops to help make a last minute change a huge success. We ate outside on the patio and personalized menus and wine pairings helped to make this dinner seem like it was planned to perfection. The portions were generous and the service attentive. Everything I asked of them, they pleasantly executed, and for this, I am forever indebted to them. Will go again and again.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

If I had this place near where I lived, I'd never eat anywhere else. Wonderful quality food, simply prepared and expertly served. Broad range of wines and other drinks - and the chance to try their bread - what's not to be wonderful!