“Lovely lunch, great service!”

Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #32 of 360 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Sitka, Alaska
“Lovely lunch, great service!”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

We had a delightful lunch here. Food was fresh and delicious, service fast and friendly. Loved it. Roasted chicken salad was superb.

• Greek first
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Soo Disappointed”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Was looking forward to trying this place for weekend breakfast for a while. Arrived at around 11 and was told evenso there were many empty (however dirty) tables it would be around 15 - 20 min wait, as we needed a table for 5 inclusive of a high chair. No big deal we walked down to the bookstore and awaited our text message. 20 minutes later we walked back and waited another 15 minutes for I have no idea the reason except for disorganization. Taken to table waited 5 minutes for high chair and service. Service decent throughout the meal however food was terrible. I am not one to complain or write reviews, however could not wait to get out of of this place. The only person to finish their meal was my son who ordered the burger, he said it was ok. The hash was sweet and sickly with undercooked poached eggs, the bacon you might as well have called a slice of fat. Toast? I thought this is a bakery? Stale bread which they cook on what? Strange flavor. No one finished their food which is not usual at all. Needless to say will not be eating here again. Oh and the manager seemed to be very selective about which tables to stop at, not our food was only half eaten. Always read trip advisor reviews before eating somewhere new. Got this one wrong.

bay Area, CA
“Enjoyable, but pricey and limited menu”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I was taken to lunch at the Mayfield Bakery & Cafe by a co-worker, which is located in the Town & Country mall in Palo Alto. We arrived at 11:30 AM on a Friday, but were told that there were no tables available other than outside (I guess we should have made a reservation). We were seated outside and the hostess said she would return to wipe down the table (it was dirty from tree debris from overhead), but she never returned. Our waitress came promptly and brought bread and took our drink order. The menu is somewhat limited; there is a list of about 10 entrees, some of which are a bit "foo foo" for my tastes and some items I could not identify (Rapini greens? Farroto?). I settled on the chicken sandwich with brie and bacon and a side of onion rings. The food came promptly, although I had to remind them to bring the onion rings. The chicken sandwich was tasty, but three quarters of the way into it, I realized that I didn't see any brie... At this point, it was really too late to mention it. The onion rings were a disappointment. They were puffy and soggy, more like onion doughnuts than onion rings. Our waitress was very attentive until it came time for the bill, then she completely disappeared. I went over to the bakery while my co worker stayed behind to pay, and it took him almost 20 additional minutes to get the bill and pay ($60 for 3 people for lunch, with no alcohol, ouch!). The food was generally good, but not quite that good and the service was a bit hit and miss. Another thing to note was that this is right across the street from a high school, and the outdoor seating is adjacent to the parking lot and the entrance to the shopping center, and it was swarming with high school students and very, very noisy. We should have thought to make reservations to get a table indoors. I think I would try Mayfield Bakery & Cafe again, but only if someone else is paying!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Good... but pricey”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I get that we were paying for the location and the atmosphere, but the prices were still pretty excessive ($10 for oatmeal? $12 for 2 eggs?). Everyone enjoyed their meals, but it never seemed worth what we were paying for good, not great, food.

The unusual orders were a burger that had smoke dominate the taste throughout. This was interesting at first bite, but grew cloying over time, as there was nothing on the burger to cut through or mellow the taste (the homemade pickles were bland). Weirdly, the toast from my partner's eggs also was dominated by smoke (and went uneaten). My son had a massive French Toast that was crispy on the outside and almost gooey on the inside. He also said the over-dominant sweetness made the first piece wonderful, but went downhill from there.

The highlight for him was the best tea selection he has seen in this country... while I am not the connoisseur he is, I wondered how good tea has to be for almost $8 (he was exceptionally pleased! I thought it tasted nice).

I wouldn't go back if I was paying, but would find something if someone invited me. If money is no object, and you want a lovely place to go... this is for you!

• Visited February 2014
calif
“Could be better”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had the smoked salmon club, pulled chicken sandwich, kale salad, and pumpkin soup. The Kale Salad was good and the pumpkin soup was delicious. Pulled chicken sandwich was okay and the salmon club was greasy and came with undercooked bacon - jiggled with white fat and pale pink meat. I brought this to the attention of the manager/expediter and he said "oh, you like your bacon cooked crisp" and I responded "I like my bacon cooked". No apologies and made it seem like we were the issue. Came back with well done bacon that was okay. BTW, the bacon on the chicken sandwich was cooked perfectly. We were there for a total of 50 minutes and not once did the waiter come by and ask us how we were doing (in spite of him passing our table several times).

• Visited February 2014