“Good... but pricey”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I get that we were paying for the location and the atmosphere, but the prices were still pretty excessive ($10 for oatmeal? $12 for 2 eggs?). Everyone enjoyed their meals, but it never seemed worth what we were paying for good, not great, food.

The unusual orders were a burger that had smoke dominate the taste throughout. This was interesting at first bite, but grew cloying over time, as there was nothing on the burger to cut through or mellow the taste (the homemade pickles were bland). Weirdly, the toast from my partner's eggs also was dominated by smoke (and went uneaten). My son had a massive French Toast that was crispy on the outside and almost gooey on the inside. He also said the over-dominant sweetness made the first piece wonderful, but went downhill from there.

The highlight for him was the best tea selection he has seen in this country... while I am not the connoisseur he is, I wondered how good tea has to be for almost $8 (he was exceptionally pleased! I thought it tasted nice).

I wouldn't go back if I was paying, but would find something if someone invited me. If money is no object, and you want a lovely place to go... this is for you!

There are newer reviews for Mayfield Bakery & Cafe

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had the smoked salmon club, pulled chicken sandwich, kale salad, and pumpkin soup. The Kale Salad was good and the pumpkin soup was delicious. Pulled chicken sandwich was okay and the salmon club was greasy and came with undercooked bacon - jiggled with white fat and pale pink meat. I brought this to the attention of the manager/expediter and he said "oh, you like your bacon cooked crisp" and I responded "I like my bacon cooked". No apologies and made it seem like we were the issue. Came back with well done bacon that was okay. BTW, the bacon on the chicken sandwich was cooked perfectly. We were there for a total of 50 minutes and not once did the waiter come by and ask us how we were doing (in spite of him passing our table several times).

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Went for dinner with 4 friends. Food was very tasty, but portions were all on the small side, for our taste. Can't argue with the quality, though. Salad, ribs, fish and burger were all very good. Will try this again, for lunch.

Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

This place is NOT your ordinary Muffin and Coffee breakfast bakery. White table cloths, the smell of an almond wood burning grille gave a hint of what could come out if the kitchen. The entrees are complex yet very wholesome in that special California way. I had the cured beef hash with poached eggs. Served on a pile of barley and veggies with arugula with a basaltic drizzle. It was surprising good. My business guest enjoyed an omelet in broth which looked delicious. Good place for a business conversation Opens at 0800 so it's a bit late for some. I'll back
Be back for the

Reviewed February 8, 2014

The restaurant is bright and cheerful. The waitstaff are friendly and professional. And the food was way good! Had the special of the day--a fried chicken sandwich with fries. They kindly allowed me to substitute a salad for the fries. The sandwich was done to perfection. We split the beignets. While they did not seem like traditional beignets (more like eggy doughnut holes), they were fresh, warm and tasty. They were served with a homemade strawberry cranberry jam. I would certainly return!