“excellent breakfast and bakery”

Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #34 of 365 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Reviewed December 30, 2013

had breakfast here on a sunny morning, nice enough to eat outside in December! We sat at the bar since we didn't have reservations and didn't want to wait. We ordered the Brioche French toast with poached pears, bacon and egg breakfast, and the special eggs benedict with pulled pork on brioche bun. All excellent. A little froufy for my 17 year old son. but he did eat even bit of his breakfast. The French toast was absolutely delicious. If it was up to me, I would have eaten breakfast her every day of our visit in Palo Alto. Visited the bakery twice. tried the flax seed raisin bran muffin, ginger cookie, chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal raisin cookie. All fabulous. the ginger cookie was chewy and full of molasses flavor. Loved the chocolate caramel tart with caramelized walnuts. My least favorite treat was the pear and huckleberry galette. Everything else was top notch.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went there to get some bakery. I like bakery that is fresh and tasted good. Service is excellent to explain what bakery they offered.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

This is my go to spot for business lunches, out of town guests and lunch with friends, sometimes my husband and I even go for dinner. Everyone I bring here raves about the food. Several business guests ask to come here when they are in town and tell colleagues to be sure I bring them here. The food is a modern take on home cooking. The BELT sandwich adds a fried egg to a traditional favorite. Each week a special farmers menu takes advantage of fresh things from the farms. My one complaint involves the closeness of the tables and the noise level. Ask for a booth for a quieter experience. The outdoor patio under a beautiful old tree is nice even though it is next to a busy parking lot.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Amazing cottage potatoes, ham & eggs and sweet pastries. Staff is super efficient. Came for Saturday brunch. The wait was only 10 minutes.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We'd heard good things about this restaurant but our experience was disappointing. It was a crowded Saturday morning so maybe they were stretched too thin, but that's no excuse. We wanted lunch and our server brusquely informed us that was not possible; that brunch is the only choice on Saturday. So we ordered omelets. One was o.k. and the other was clearly made by somebody else, with runny eggs and a glop of cheese on the top. Our champagne was stale and warm. This was a birthday lunch and a request was made in advance for a candle in the dessert cake. Didn't happen. In fact, dessert was a cookie -- served with a fork! The waiter apologized, pointing out he was very busy. The noise level was so ear-splitting we could not have a conversation. The service was perfunctory at best. This is a very popular restaurant in a pleasant setting but it takes good food, competent service and some effort at noise mitigation to complete the package. We won't bother to return.