“Comfortable restaurant, but food mediocre and service horrid.”

Mayfield Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #35 of 374 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The beginning of the evening was auspicious.
We arrived early and drank a nice bottle of Burgundy at the bar.
Seating was comfortable, and the restaurant had a nice buzz despite a bunch of empty seats.

Everything from there was downhill.
The food was mediocre and the service rushed everything.
It felt like they were trying to speed us along, very unpleasant.

The waitress had all the delicacy (and looks) of a lumberjack.
I could recommend 3 dishes to NOT order, based on our party of 4's experience.
Shortrib, Rigatoni: don't bother. The burger was OK.
The green salad was great, and the coffee was rancid.
Avoid.

1  Thank IvanCDG

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We had a meal here before a Friday show. We were seated at the counter since the restaurant was full. Elina was our server. She was delightfully friendly and accommodating. I had the Friday special, chicken pot pie. Great comfort food for a rainy night. The chicken inside was very tasty. My husband had steak which was amazing. The pumpkin soup was full of flavor. The mocha coffee is served in a bowl! They make their own chocolate and marshmallows! Everything was so fresh. My daughter was given her own small complimentary hot chocolate with a homemade marshmallow. I loved everything about this restaurant. Elina shared a lot about their menu and how it changes with the seasons. We will definitely eat here again.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Today I went the Mayfield with my aunt for my birthday lunch. I had the articoke pizza and vegetable barley soup. The soup was ok, not much in the soup. The pizza was good, but I like a crispier crust. The special was a salad w/crispy articokes, oxtail w/pasta and a warm chocolate cookie. The cookie wasn't warm, but the server gave us 2 cookies. The dessert was very good, beigets w/apple cinnamon on the side. They were hot and fresh, that was the best part of the lunch. I've been there for breakfast acouple of times and enjoyed it. Third time for lunch and it was consistant.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The brioche French toast with pears was cooked to perfection on fresh bread. The sandwich with rotisserie chicken on fresh bread was delightful. Madeline cookies are scrumptious with a coffee or cappuccino. Wait staff was attentive and friendly. Decor of restaurant was comfortable yet elegant during day and evening.

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Sat at the bar after stumbling into this restaurant. Elina, the bartender, was great, even pairing my food with the appropriate wine in half glasses so I could enjoy different types of wine without drinking too much!
The pork belly appetizer, short ribs entree and apple bread pudding were delicious.
I'd definitively come back to this place.