“Overpriced for Lunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Embarcadero Road
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I really like supporting local farmers and don't mind paying a premium for quality produce from local organic farmers. I was intrigued by the beet salad on the menu, and thought that the $13 price at lunch would provide an entree-sized salad -- especially since Mayfield's offered a 3-course farmers' lunch for $18. My $13 salad was smaller than all appetizer or side salads I enjoyed in the Bay Area, with about 6 pieces of greens and 2 or 3 beets that were about the size of small grapes! There were a few other scant ingredients. I was surprised at the meager size of this salad, and I don't understand why the waiter didn't find a way to politely mention that this salad alone would be an exceedingly light lunch! My husband had a nice sandwich at a less inflated price, but we've enjoyed other locally sourced meals in and around Palo Alto for much better value. The cafe is extremely noisy, and the tables along the long interior bench are exceedingly close. When my husband was chewing his sandwich and our conversation was interrupted, I could hear every word of the conversations from the 2 neighboring tables!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The best part about eating here is that Elina's usually behind the bar, so that's where we like to eat. Even if the whole bar is packed, she still manages to make everyone feel special and paid attention to. She is a gem. Her friendly, bubbly personality keeps us coming back time after time, and I trust her recommendations for food and wine. I will happily pay more for drinks and dinner if she's there serving. I wish the other bartenders were half as personable. It's also a good spot to people-watch, and to watch the chefs working so hard over your food.

The food is great, nice selection of wines by the glass, and the atmosphere is unpretentious (though you will see a lot of wealthy, older "ladies who lunch"). Love the the whole "farm-to-table" theme, but I think they've already achieved that with the white-washed wooden plank ceiling, butcher paper on the tables, vintage-look schoolhouse lamps, and warm mentions of farm providers in the menus. Those plaid shirts they've all started wearing bring the whole experience down a bit--makes it seem less special. Please go back to traditional black and white.

Wonderful breads, and it's very worthwhile to visit their bakery next door.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Always stop by for coffee and dessert. Enjoy sitting outside and watching people go by to the various shops and other eateries in the mall.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We had a party of five for breakfast with a couple of starving teenagers who had just played a game at Junior Olympics at Stanford. They didn't finish their meals - French toast for one and giant hotcake with maple butter. Both said they tasted strange and unappetizing. These aren't picky eaters, either. They said that both of their meals had a strong lemony taste which was "gross". I have seen both kids eat just about anything and never complain before.

The rest of the diners had the eggs and bacon. Those were quite good - creamy, buttery tasting scrambled eggs with slabs if thick bacon. Toast tasted stale - not good. Jam was delicious, though. Still not worth $15 a plate, though. Half the price and it would have been tolerable.

Breakfast for 5 with no beverages came to $78 - before a tip of 20 percent.

Ripoff.

I have no idea what these other reviewers ate, but this breakfast was not worth price.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I really enjoy Mayfield's commitment to fresh, seasonal dishes. The menu stays more or less the same in terms of structure, but the dishes are constantly changed to adjust to what's local and in season. Breakfast or brunch is spectacular, and I love their salads for lunch. Most recently my mom and I stopped in for a quick lunch and just got simple salads, which were perfectly dressed and came out super fast. Their fresh bread made next door in the cafe is a nice bonus. If you go for dinner, you get to take home your pick from the bread basket! Service is always excellent. My only disappointment is that they stopped making their delicious strawberry mint lemonade.