“Small, downtown”

Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Carrollton, Texas
“Small, downtown”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Rooms clean and very small. As in VERY small. No parking. Otherwise i found this to be a great option - i don't mind small so it did not bother me. View looked out at a cement wall. But the location was awesome as i love downtown Palo Alto and it was walkable to just about everything. Staff was nice, breakfast was convenient. I would recommend it provided you had your expectations set. Beds were comfortable, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Texas42
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We do have a number of deluxe rooms that are a good 50% larger than the standard rooms for only $20 more per night. Sadly, the view is about the same. Thank you for the kudos to the staff. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Palo Alto.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I last stayed here a few months back to check out Stanford University for my daughter. This time, we stayed here for a week to move her into the dorm.

I think my favorite part of this hotel is the front desk staff. They are some of the best I have seen. Authentic, friendly and real. They are not like some hotel staff that are just flatly rude or give you a plastic smile and send you your way.

This time the room was smaller than last, but my daughter and I got used to it. The location is amazing, great vegan restaurants, yoga classes, shopping, all walking distance.

Now that my daughter is at the university, this will be my second home. I will not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Afsaneh N
Great having you with us again. See you in February!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hotel Keen is a nice, clean, minimalist boutique hotel in downtown Palo Alto. Room was clean, well maintained, bed was comfortable however my reservation was for an upgraded feather bed which I did not receive even though I paid the higher room rate. I chose to express this in my review rather than argue with management. Hotel provides excellent light breakfast and has well maintained Nespresso machine in breakfast area. Desk area in room was too small for work with my 17" laptop. Also, rooms have no chair (except desk chair) or dresser. Iron and board were fine. Walls carried sound such that I could hear a loud business discussion in the next room for about 20 minutes so be mindful of your privacy. I liked this hotel and would be willing to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Jackl51047
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for business. I loved the decor and their breakfast is by far amazing. Great toiletries too! However, my room was tiny to the point where you really couldn't move a foot without bumping into something. The floors were also quite creaky and the walls were thin. You can hear the conversation and TV blaring in the next room. The location is ideal to all the cool restaurants and the university which is nice, but the rooms are quite tiny. The photos are deceiving to the eye.

• Stayed February 2013
5 Thank Heychick2
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Due to my usual hotel, the Westin, being booked in Palo Alto i diverted to Hotel Keen, this small hotel lacks some services such as gym, pool and even restaurant, but the hotel makes up by being very very freindly and personal. The small rooms have all you need and there is a good breakfast and coffee.
Dont compare the hotel to the large chains but in the boutique range this hotel scores very high.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SanderVonk
pfriedman, General Manager at Hotel Keen, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I am glad that you were pleased with the hotel, staff and service. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I am an experienced business travelers having accumulated over 4 million miles in 25 years. When I go to Silicon Valley on business, I find myself staying at hotels that I know and am comfortable with like the Fairmont in San Jose. My daughter just got accepted to Stanford so this time we decided to stay at a hotel in Palo Alto. A friend recommended Hotel Keen.

The most wonderful staff, the nicest rooms although minimalist, small intimate boutique feeling. Very much like hotels in the Nordics. I loved my four day stay there. Two great yoga studios are walking distance from this place. unbelievable restaurants full of organic food and fresh produce are steps away.

You will never go wrong with this place and you do not have to pay Fairmont prices. I will come back for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Afsaneh N
Thank you very much for the kind words. I am glad that we meet your needs and we hope to be your home away from home over the next four years.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Nice lobby, excellent and friendly front of house staff. Free tea and coffee station 24 hours. Nice breakfast. As with many boutique hotels my room was small but comfortable, good heating system, comfortable bed and decent shower. My only real complaint was the frosted window opened inches from a brick wall though so it could feel a little claustrophobic but there are plenty of outdoor tables at local cafes should you feel the need for fresh air. Front desk recommended an excellent restaurants for dinner locally - Reposados.
Parking in Palo Alto generally can be tough but I managed to find on street or garage parking within 2 blocks throughout my stay.
All in all a very pleasant place to stay on a brief business trip.

Stayed March 2013