“Feels like home”
Review of Coronet Motel

Coronet Motel
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My parents have been coming to the Coronet Motel when they visit me and my brother in Palo Alto, for at least 6 times. They love it! There are a lot of places in a walking distance, the people that run the place are amazing and lovely, and the rooms have a good size and have cable TV, wi-fi and lots of space. The place was remodeled a while ago, and it only got better. For me, everytime I see the Coronet Motel from my car, or while walking, great memories come back to me, as when I drop my parents off, or pick them up, they open the door for me, and even I get a chance to experience the good vibe of the place. I totally recommend it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank patipineda

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

From the street this place looks like a motor lodge you pulled into along the freeway in the 70's. But everything from the front desk clerk (Heidi) is excellent and new. The rooms are clean, comfy bed, very clean and functional bathroom, nice small refrigerator, microwave AND free wi-fi that works.

There are also several restaurants within super easy walking distance of the motel. And a bagel cafe practically next door.

Every few months I have to a couple of days for tests and Dr. Appointments at Stanford. Some are early in the morning, some later the day. It is so nice to have a comfortable place to stay.

I'll be back!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank sierrahiker4
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Coronet Motel was our "overflow" location for our family Thanksgiving gathering. I had worried that there would be a lot of traffic noise, but in fact it wasn't bad (even on the non-holiday nights). The beds are comfortable, rooms are clean, staff is friendly, location very convenient and the price is right! It's a bit like stepping back in time to the olden days of "motor court" motel on the outside, but our room had a tidy little kitchenette and a good-sized bathroom.

Room Tip: If you have impaired walking or stair-climbing abilities you'll want to ask for a ground floor r...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leanne U
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have stayed in Palo Alto on numerous occasions in various places and this is my favourite motel, taking account of friendly service, cleanliness and value for money. The location of the Coronet is extremely good, being very near to the corner of California Avenue so one can walk to many good cafes and restaurants. It is also within walking distance of the Stanford campus and the campus bus stops nearby. The owners of the Coronet are extremely friendly and helpful. On a recent stay I arrived hours early for check in but a room was ready so I moved straight in. I then had to go away for a couple of nights and storing my luggage was no problem. The rooms are spacious and immaculately clean. Each has a fridge, microwave, coffee machine and ironing facilities. The bed is comfortable and there is a good desk for working. Free Wi-Fi is in every room and is efficient. The motel has a nice swimming pool which is sheltered from the main El Camino road. Overall I regard this motel as a family run business where the family do genuinely care about their customers. Furthermore, the price is reasonable compared to other motels nearby, which is an important factor in my choice. I plan to return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank profjoypc
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I stayed at the coronet for 3 nights recently.

The +++ :
- A great welcome.
- The motel is located next to California Street and all the restaurants, bars, breakfast places... The motel does not provide breakfast but there is a bagel store right next to it.
- Clean rooms and bathrooms. It was remodeled recently. It's not fancy but clean.

The --- :
- The walls are thin. there is a back alley behind the motel. Around 5am, garbage trucks and delivery trucks are passing by regularly. I thought they were in the room !
- no tub
- there should be a coffee table in the "living room" area.

It was convenient and efficient but I am sure I will stay there again because of the noise issue.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Celine C
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The Coronet Motel is a good reminder not to judge a book by its cover. From the outside it looks like it probably did when it was first build decades ago: a 50's or 60's era motel, complete with small pool on the outside. It's totally retro, bringing to mind family road trips when I was young. On the inside, however, the furnishing and decor are totally modern and comfortable, as nice as anything you'd see in much more expensive accommodations. On top of that, the wifi is screaming fast, and completely free. The proprietor was very friendly and helpful, showing us a map with the lay of the land and helping us determine the right free shuttle to take onto campus. We were also greeted upon entry into our room by a hand-written welcome note, two complementary bottles of water and two Ghirardelli chocolate squares. Awesome! The location is ideal both for Stanford and many of the high-tech companies that fringe the campus. Right around the corner is California Street, with an abundance of fantastic small eateries in short walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank John G
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We've stayed there twice so far, and had very good experiences. Clean, comfortable and spacious rooms. Great location for Stanford visits. Couple who owns/runs Coronet very friendly and helpful. If you want something outside the chain experience for a good price, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family