“Great vegitarian choice”

Calafia Cafe & Market A Go Go
Ranked #37 of 362 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In 2009, Charlie Ayers leased nearly 5,000 square feet of space in the Town & Country Shopping Plaza across from Stanford University, realizing his dream of a owning neighborhood spot serving organic, sustainable, healthy, delicious food. Calafia Cafe & Market A Go-Go was an instant hit, and today still has crowds lining up to get a seat. This casual restaurant has an energetic vibe, and serves food inspired by the incredible bounty that is available in California. Calafia continues to bring the Silicon Valley community and its visitors together around fresh, farm-to-table cuisine in an always festive atmosphere.
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Looking for a different menu? Come to Calafia. The food is fresh, great and innovative. The menu has lots of interesting options including organic for a vegitarian. They also serve organic meats. Full bar as well. It's worth it!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by a local so that was a good start. It has a great eclectic atmosphere with individual tables, a large communal table and plenty of single row seating around tha windows and kitchen. Outdoor seating is available. There is also a take out are that is more of a mini-market with a large take out salad bar. An actual bar is wedged between the take out area and restaurant area. The kitchen is open so you can watch all they are doing. A fascinating lighting display is over the communal table which seems to fill up later. Interesting photos on the wall including a panoramic of a grateful dead concert at Stanford in 1982. The decor is modern yet warm and comfortable. You need to get your own salt and peeper shakers from a table that has a small gong on it.

Service was excellent. The food is heavy on sustainable with plenty of both healthy and sinful options. Half the menu is for plant eaters and the other half for meat eaters. I had the arugula special salad with figs and heirloom tomatatoes which was tasty and fresh. My main entree was the short ribs with mash potatoes. The sauce was flavorful but a bit too salty. My daughter had the salmon which she enjoyed. My wife, the vegan, had a large salad filled with seeds and lentils that she seemed to enjoy. She even had small flower blooms in her salad. She talked us in to getting the vegan chocolate cheese cake which was actually pretty good considering it was vegan. Overall I thought the food was very good but not great. I do want to go back again and try other dishes. I really want to be able to give them 5 stars in the future.

Before we left I got to bang the gong.

1  Thank Jadbow
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Calafia, despite publicizing their efforts to prevent cross contamination etc. is a really dangerous place to eat if you have a severe gluten allergy, intolerance or celiac disease.

I recently had the frightening experience of having 4 or 5 wheat elbow macaroni buried in a supposedly gluten free noodle dish. The restaurant served this to me despite being informed that the dish must be completely gluten free for medical reasons. This is unfortunately not a single occasion as they have made a similar mistake in the past which put me out over a week! Their reaction to these grave mistakes tends to be casual at best and they don’t seem to understand the severity of allergies. If your gluten intolerance/allergy is at the more severe end of the spectrum it’s best to be safe and steer clear of Calafia.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I really love this restaurant. It truly is fresh and unique. A casual dining cafe specializing in organic, high flavor cuisines from around the world. Calafia Café is one of my go to places, especially sine they offer a wide variety of gluten-free items. Calafia makes it an easy option for those who have a gluten intolerance like myself or if you are looking to eat healthy.

A few of my favorite items are:
Grilled Zucchini & Quinoa Salad
California Walnut & Beet Salad
Tofu Lettuce Cups
Beet Generation Juice

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We had wings, a turkey burger and beef noodles on our visit. The food was hot, service was very nice, place was clean and loud. I wanted to like it more than I did. The wine was also wonderful. I do not think you can go wrong if you want a quick lunch. Everything was good but not great and very expensive