“Fives Stars Even Before Arrival”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Boston, Massachusetts
“Fives Stars Even Before Arrival”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is my first "pre-trip" review for TripAdvisor. I have been a regular business visitor at TGC for years...could not imagine staying anywhere else in the area! And when I once visited with my wife for a vacation trip, she echoed my reviews. These trips were long-before I participated in TA reviews. Barbara and her staff have created an European-style, boutique experience with all the modern touches. And the personal service and attention is unrivalled. I just reconfirmed an upcoming trip, and the staff welcome reminded me of just how special a place TGC is: a gold-standard experience. Cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Anything overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jeffery P, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear cycle-dad50ish,
I must admit this is my first pre-trip review response. Thank you for sharing such nice comments about The Garden Court Hotel, we appreciate your long term loyalty. I must agree with you, Barbara has created something very special. We are all very fortunate to be part of her team-Barbara's supportive and appreciative of each and every team members unique individuality.
It is the heart of our service philosophy.

Much gratitude,

Director of Rooms Division

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've spent the last year and a half doing it wrong. I have been a regular guest at the Westin when in town for business, but this time they were fully booked. Unable to stomach a $450/night price tag for the run down Sheraton (no thank you), decided to heed the advice of colleagues and give the Garden Court a try. And Starwood Points or no Starwood Points, I'm not going back!

Upon arrival, I was pleasantly surprised to find myself upgraded to a suite (something that has never happened at the local Starwood properties, despite whatever status I may have there). The room was lovely. Spacious, beautifully decorated, and serene. I loved the nice big desk area complete with office supplies (great for early morning email for us East Coasters who wake up at 4 AM), the closet was large and well-laid out, and the furniture was stylish, clean, and comfortable. Molton Brown bath products are a great little luxury, and the tv had a lot more channels that I expect to find at a hotel. The bedside gardenia was a lovely touch as well. Even the bathroom towels were nicer than I expected to find.

Combine these amenities with the downtown location, and the Garden Court is a real winner.

Others have complained that the rooms overlooking Cowper and near the elevator (as mine was) are loud, but I didn't find that at all. That said, I'm a New Yorker, so I am used to some background noise.

Generally speaking, when I'm in town, I'm working long hours while fighting jetlag. This was a great place to come home to at the end of the day, and to wake up in the morning refreshed and relaxed.

The only real downside is the lack of full fitness room. The one they have has only one treadmill and you aren't allowed to use it until 6:30 AM, but the front desk does have passes to Form Fitness a few blocks away, and there's also a yoga studio across the street.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsAWW
Dear MrsAWW,
Please thank your colleagues for us. As an independent boutique hotel, we are thrilled when we have the opportunity to welcome new guests and even more grateful have made a positive connection. All of the special amenities you mentioned were thoughtfully chosen to create loyal fans of The Garden Court Hotel. It is our truest reward to hear we did it right.
We are so pleased you have found us and look forward to many opportunities to surprise and delight you. Thank you for being so kind and understanding about the limited hours of our fitness center.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Dear Management,
Love your Hotel and the website is awesome. Beautiful decor and modern upscale furnishings. Fantastic location and great staff. I hope to visit again soon and please let your employees know they can always get an employee discount if ever going to Appleton, Wisconsin. The GrandStay Hotel can be seen at igrandstay.com for a tour of our property. Oh, and Congratulations on your Tripadvisor Award!!!
With Hospitality,
GrandStay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
8 Thank Amy S
Dear Brittney B,
We are delighted you loved the hotel and website. We are very proud of our guestrooms and our team. Thank you for your hospitality and thank you for your acknowledgement of our Tripadvisor Award-it is an honor most appreciated.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Garden Court Hotel is a treasure. My wife and I stayed there twice in the last 6 months. The rooms are pure luxury. And, the staff is superior to any we have encountered at any other hotel. I do not make that statement lightly. Over the years, we have stayed at many high-end hotels, in this country and abroad–and they were all great hotels. But, nowhere, have we experienced the level of service that we found at the Garden Court Hotel. Every member of the staff is dedicated to doing whatever is necessary to make sure your stay is perfect. They go above and beyond–and they do it with a smile and with a genuineness that cannot be matched. The rooms are impeccably clean. The linens are plush, and the towels soft and thick. The walk-in rain shower is total relaxation. You start off your day with fresh pastries & coffee, and you end the day with truffles and a glass of port. In between, the staff is there to take care of your every need. It is that amazing staff that is the true gem.

I read another review on Trip Advisor where the individual described the Garden Court Hotel as a “mid-range” hotel. I must respectfully---yet, strenuously---disagree. Whether you stay for business or pleasure, I promise that, when you leave, you will say to yourself–as my wife and I said to ourselves—“those are the nicest people, and that is the nicest hotel, and that is the best service, I have ever experienced.”

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LCA2013
Dear LCA2013,
Thank you for taking the time to share such wonderful and kind remarks. We are so very fortunate to have the team of dedicated, genuine and sincere service professionals that we do.
It is only because of our team that we are able to provide the level of service you so graciously described. We appreciate hearing our amenities added to your overall satisfaction and our goal is to continue finding ways to add to the GCH experience. We do hope to welcome you and your wife back again.

Appreciatively,

Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a family reunion at this lovely small hotel with a great location in downtown Palo Alto, with a myriad of great stores and restaurants on the doorstep. Really comfortable, pleasant, great staff, excellent food, friendly, all in a very pretty building. Spacious rooms, well appointed. Although there were other events in the hotel at the same time, there was no interference through some kind of magic footwork on the part of the relaxed and competent staff. Elegant and friendly. Thank you, Garden Court!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank coolsack
Dear coolsack,
Thank you for your kind remarks about your stay with us. We do everything we can to ensure each guest enjoys a unique and memorable experience. We are fortunate to host many celebrations here and it does requires some intricate choreography by our team. It is such a compliment to hear there was no interference through some kind of magical footwork on the part of the relaxed and competent staff. Your comments are truly appreciated and very meaningful.

Modesto, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night with our children. We booked a one bedroom king suite. The room was fantastic. The kids slept on the pull out sofa and we had the bedroom to ourselves. The bathroom was large with great amenities. Great location on a main Palo Alto street. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Kim V,
It is wonderful to hear that you and your family enjoyed your experience together at The Garden Court Hotel. We are thrilled that you were pleased with your room and the amenities added to your enjoyment. Thank you for taking the time to share your GCH experience.

Please come back soon!

Director of Room Division
Home
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Intimate and luxurious was the stay this weekend in palo alto. Weather cooperated, but the show stealer was this little property steeped in plush surroundings. Cool drinks at check in, and newspapers and treats in the morning on each floor and in the lobby replace the concierge lounge. Heady carpets on the floor, larger flat screen At rooms center, refrigerator filled with beverages and basket of edibles for sale if needed at the ready. Whole fruit is free and in a basket on the desk. Bathroom is large with rug, floor mat, and THICK towels that slurp up water after a shower/spa with overhead and hand held options. Marble everywhere in the bathroom. Pillow topped kingsize bed invites a good snooze. And furniture in the room for sitting and relaxing. Outdoor balcony with chairs for taking a little sunshine if desired. Really enjoyed the room!

Room Tip: Can't miss here. Not a place with a view. But nice and quite
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Jeffery P, Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear hotelmavin,
We are delighted to receive all of your wonderful and detailed comments. It is most rewarding to hear that all of the special touches we have carefully thought of are appreciated. Especially, when the time is taken to mention them with such meaning. We all take great pride in The Garden Court Hotel. Thank you for sharing your experience, please do come back again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!