“Luxury hotel in a great location”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Seattle, Washington
“Luxury hotel in a great location”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Excellent hotel at a very central location. Close to many restaurants and shops. Very convenient to Stanford University. The rooms are very clean, well furnished. The staff is very helpful and friendly. They have a very nice Italian Restaurant on-site. I went with my family, but it would have made a nice business hotel as well with decent, free internet connection and fast service.

Room Tip: I stayed at a one bedroom suite as a family of four. They turned the sofa in the living room into a...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ayaspasha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I have stayed hear twice now and it gets better every time. Great staff and yes the sales director made my stay complete. I travel on a busy schedule 36 weeks out of the year and this is one of my favorite stops. Keep up the good work and hope you work on getting a pool.

What stood out the most during this stay was the level of service. Staff are trained very well and very respectful and assist in all possible ways. I haven't seen this level of service at any hotel in the world i've stayed at in the past 10 years.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank John W
NY
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Not quite sure why anyone would pay such high prices for an ordinary hotel. Rooms are very small and not really well taken care of. Staff was not particularly nice. Complimentary breakfast was stale rolls and coffee in the lobby. Convenient location but just not worth the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank SuperTraveller2222
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Expensive but worth the stay. Very tranquil rooms.

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank S A
Kranenburg, Germany
Reviewed January 6, 2012

The Garden Court is normally not in my company's travel budget, but this time, during the weekend, I could make it fit. :-)

And it was certainly worth it!

The hotel is situated above the Il Fornaio restaurant, which also serves as their restaurant.

The room was not too big, but the quality was very good with a nice, soft bed and a marble bathroom with a super shower.

Breakfast at Il Fornaio was quite a refreshing change from the ordinary buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. Everything was fresh and made to order and excellent quality.

The service and personal attention complemented the over-all quality image.

All this, combined with an excellent location in Palo Alto, will make me come back next time for sure.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JSVV
New York City
Reviewed January 4, 2012

My wife and I spent a very nice night at the Garden Court Hotel. We were attending a wedding nearby and started a 2 week vacation here. The rooms were spacious and very clean. The bed was VERY comfortable. the location is fantastic as you are just stepd from University ave with all the shops and restaurants just walking distance away. It was a bit pricey for what you get but overall we were very pleased with our stay

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mpdorf
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The room itself was nice, but at around 2:00am I was awoken to what sounded like loud banging. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I called the front desk, who told me that they'd "take care of it immediately," which confused me since I hadn't said what it was or where it was coming from. The noise stopped for about 20 minutes, but then started up again even louder. I called down again, and the woman said "I'll call the restaurant again." It turns out my room was directly over the restaurant on the second floor, and what I was hearing was them cleaning up at the end of the night. I couldn't sleep through it, and they finally had to move me at 3:30am to the 4th floor. It was really unpleasant to have to pack all my things up and walk with the bellman in my pajamas to another room, which, by the way, was freezing. I got about 3 hours of bad sleep. The next day when I turned in my keys, there was no "I'm sorry that happened" or "hey, we can give you a discount" it was just "there are no additional charges" and zero eye contact. Terrible service, terrible hotel. Other unpleasant aspects: there is no self-parking, and parking in Palo Alto has the worst street parking laws ever. You can pay $17 a night for valet, or you can park on the street and move your car by 10am, after which you have to leave because you literally aren't allowed to park for longer than two hours anywhere in the area (meaning you can't just move your car to another spot). Also, I wanted to relax in a nice bath, but after paying a lot of money for a lovely night, I discovered upon arrival there wasn't a bathtub. And the "rain shower heads" they touted sucked, along with the available hot water (turn it on all the way to hot at maximum pressure and you will get a lukewarm, limp shower). It was a really awful experience all around. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Don't sleep on the third floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Jen B
BarbaraGM, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
I spoke with Jen B. about her very bad experience. WE failed our guest on every level of service. Although it was frustrating for all of us - our guest suffered.
Jen was most appreciative of my contrition and concern for her bad experience. I do hope we will have the opportunity to recover with Jen in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
The Westin Palo Alto
#9 of 27 in Palo Alto
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!