“Terrible place, no sleep”
Review of Garden Court Hotel

Garden Court Hotel
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The room itself was nice, but at around 2:00am I was awoken to what sounded like loud banging. I couldn't tell where it was coming from, so I called the front desk, who told me that they'd "take care of it immediately," which confused me since I hadn't said what it was or where it was coming from. The noise stopped for about 20 minutes, but then started up again even louder. I called down again, and the woman said "I'll call the restaurant again." It turns out my room was directly over the restaurant on the second floor, and what I was hearing was them cleaning up at the end of the night. I couldn't sleep through it, and they finally had to move me at 3:30am to the 4th floor. It was really unpleasant to have to pack all my things up and walk with the bellman in my pajamas to another room, which, by the way, was freezing. I got about 3 hours of bad sleep. The next day when I turned in my keys, there was no "I'm sorry that happened" or "hey, we can give you a discount" it was just "there are no additional charges" and zero eye contact. Terrible service, terrible hotel. Other unpleasant aspects: there is no self-parking, and parking in Palo Alto has the worst street parking laws ever. You can pay $17 a night for valet, or you can park on the street and move your car by 10am, after which you have to leave because you literally aren't allowed to park for longer than two hours anywhere in the area (meaning you can't just move your car to another spot). Also, I wanted to relax in a nice bath, but after paying a lot of money for a lovely night, I discovered upon arrival there wasn't a bathtub. And the "rain shower heads" they touted sucked, along with the available hot water (turn it on all the way to hot at maximum pressure and you will get a lukewarm, limp shower). It was a really awful experience all around. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Don't sleep on the third floor
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Jen B
BarbaraGM, General Manager at Garden Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

I spoke with Jen B. about her very bad experience. WE failed our guest on every level of service. Although it was frustrating for all of us - our guest suffered.
Jen was most appreciative of my contrition and concern for her bad experience. I do hope we will have the opportunity to recover with Jen in the future.

Reviewed December 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel only on business but it would be a wonderful getaway for a couple or family as well. The rooms are wonderfully appointed and comfortable, and the fitness center, while small, was clean and in good working order. The location is ideal near the center of Palo Alto, and the always-available fruit and chocolates are an added plus. There is also a good, basic continental breakfast set up on each floor, which is extremely convenient. The setting is picturesque and a great contrast to cookie-cutter hotels. The in-hotel restaurant is a branch of Il Fornaio but has the feel of a wonderful neighborhood trattoria instead of a chain, and the food is excellent and reasonably priced. Lodging at the hotel itself is not cheap but well worth it.

Room Tip: They are all lovely!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Teresita_Herndon_VA
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I've stayed here a few times on pleasure trips. Great location, clean and luxurious rooms, nice boutique feel. As others have mentioned it can be a bit noisy when there are functions in the courtyard, but that always dies down at a reasonable hour.

So last week I was planning a board meeting for my company and I thought it would be nice to have it here. The hotel website advertises meeting space and meeting packages. I called and was transferred to the voicemail of the person responsible, and left a message. Twice. I emailed them via their website. Twice. After a couple days I called the front desk and told them about how I had received no responses, and they couldn't help me.

I gave up and ended up booking my meeting at the Four Seasons a few blocks away. I wish I knew what was up. Even a return call saying they were full would have been nice. I'm not sure I want to return even for personal trips - having some level of interest in my business is a big deal to me.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms can be a bit noisy, but always quiet by a reasonable hour. Elevator area can be noi...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank LeanCEO
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed here for a quick business trip in November 2011. The room was comfortable with traditional styling, and the bathroom was spacious enough with good lighting. My room looked out over the courtyard, which was pretty noisy until the early evening, but was definitely not noisy when I went to bed. The front desk staff was helpful enough, arranging a taxi for me (~$120 taxi ride from SFO), although they seemed reluctant to print my bill for me and preferred to email it to me (which was fine, although they then took the liberty of adding me to their email list so I then had to go and unsubscribe - that annoyed me).

There wasn't a business center, but there's a computer in the lobby where you can print out your boarding pass. I also spent time in a couple of their meeting rooms for a conference I was there for, and the meeting rooms were nice. The breakfast was a good spread (continental breakfast), and so was lunch - although you had to ask for a vegetarian meal as they were serving the dishes to everyone else. Overall it was nice and I wouldn't hesitate in staying here again for business or personal (although would need to compare pricing/reviews with other hotels in the area), but I didn't think it was special.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Gail_USA
Reviewed November 11, 2011

My Sister got married there from the begining to end, they were so acomodating with every request, the rooms were so beautiful and clean That I took my shoes off.
Fromthe manager to the valet attendant everyone was so nice. my family liked this bell boy from El salvador he has been there for like 20 years. He was helful and corteus, the party was awesome.
I ussually dont ake the time to write reviews but I have some espare time lately.
I hope you guys dont take forever to post this one like the last one I wrote. I hope you are more honest than Yelp

Room Tip: all rooms are great, but my sister and brother in law had the penthouse, awesome garden and everythi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Luis D
Reviewed October 28, 2011

This excellent hotel is located in the heart of Palo Alto. Unsurprisingly, it is very traditional and conservative in appearance both inside and out. Service was excellent. Our room was very comfortable, clean and well maintained. The only caution: we asked for a quiet room, and they gave us one facing the interior courtyard, which would have been fine except that a function was occurring in the courtyard that night which was rather noisy. So you may want to ask a few more questions than we did if you are looking for peace and quiet.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Architectandmusician
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I stayed at the hotel in October 2011 for business. The decor is delicious and I would stay there for vacation or for business in the future without a second thought.

This was a perfect business hotel. The staff was very helpful, and they have two nice little business centers. Before I even got there, I called and asked about restaurants for a Sunday night that were open late nearby, and immediately got an email from the front desk person with suggestions for places on the way from the airport. And the valet went out of his way to find my Blackberry in the garage (thank goodness)!

The housekeeping staff also was really respectful that I was working in the room, and if I told one of them that I didn't want service that day, they did not ask again (unlike some places where the staff would bang on the door all day), but helpfully asked if they could get me anything like new towels.

They really thought of everything in the room--from office supplies inside the desk (and in the business center, too), to two luggage racks in the closet and an umbrella and safe and ironing board. They had lots of good full length mirrors, too, which is helpful when dressing for meetings.

I had a courtyard room, which was huge, with a nice balcony over looking the courtyard. I was a little concerned about noise at night from the Il Fornaio restaurant downstairs, but to my surprise, at precisely 9:30 every evening, it was like someone flipped a switch, and bam-- silence. Very impressive.

The gym had a variety of cardio equipment--treadmill, bike, stair. And some free weights.

The beverage service with coffee and breakfast and happy hour in the lobby was great, too. And a contemporary yet homey ambiance that made me feel like I had been there before even though it was my first visit.

I look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: If you like a view, pick the courtyard. But be aware that you will hear some mild background noise u...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 11 in Menlo Park
Hilton Garden Inn Palo Alto

Been to Garden Court Hotel? Share your experiences!