“Terribly disappointed in the Country Inn” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn

Country Inn
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Little Rock
“Terribly disappointed in the Country Inn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

June 2007 - We have stayed at the Palo Alto Country Inn before; it's a lovey little motel convenient to Stanford University. For our daughter's graduation we booked several months beforehand. I specifically asked for air-conditioned rooms since they don't ask you for a preference.

This time I called a month before the graduation and asked for a second A/C room. At that point, not available with A/C. I called a few days later and the lady said yes. I then assumed I had 2 rooms with air conditioning. The night before we flew into California, I called again to confirm. Then they said one room would not have A/C. I then called Expedia, got a reservation at Stanford Motor Inn for 2 A/C rooms. Then called Country Inn and cancelled both rooms.

The man said it was less than 24 hours notice; I replied it was 22 hours notice. I said if he wouldn't charge us that I wouldn't tell about his 'bait and switch' policy. We just got the bill for $78 for a June 14 no show.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank arkansawtraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bandon, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

A motel with a garden in Palo Alto, what a great way to spend a day or two. Very pleasant surroundings and very nice pool, quiet room and immaculately clean. Good front desk. Overall an inexpensive way to stay in an expensive area.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2007

This is a great motel, great service, clean rooms and bathrooms, very nice rooms and outside areas and pool.

However, the rooms are completely marred by an overpowering fragrance. It disturbed my sleep, despite my best efforts to air out the room, and once I got home I had to wash all of my clothes three times, including the ones that never left my suitcase. When I decided to stay there again a few weeks later, contacted them in advance about the fragrance problem. When I got there they assured me they had aired out my room, but the fragrance was still overwhelming. My coworker, who had laughed at me for calling in advance, recoiled when he opened his own room and instead began mocking me for having been willing to come back.

I kept the "do not disturb" sign on my door to keep anyone from cleaning my room with whatever they're using, and aired out the room whenever I was around -- and by "around" I mean hanging out by the pool, which thankfully does not smell. By the third day the fragrance smell started to fade, but was replaced by a sulfurous moldy smell. My coworker woke up nauseated by a much worse moldy smell in his room, and the owners were nice enough to move him to a room with a slightly less overpowering smell.

Overall, I'm really sad about this experience. It's a very nice building, not cheap-feeling, and with very nice owners. It seems like they may just be combatting a mold problem, but it makes for a very unpleasant stay. Until they get the problem taken care of I really, really do not recommend staying there. If not for the odor problems this would unquestionably be my top choice for an affordable place to stay in the area, so this one shortcoming is a huge disappointment because it will keep me from going back.

• Liked — Nice clean rooms, outside areas, pool, really nice owners
  • Disliked — Overwhelming fragrance, with underlying terrible moldy smell
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Boberto
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

Trip Advisor reviewers -- you've done it again! You led me to this great little motor inn where I stayed for two nights on business.

The room truly is perfect. Decent size. The bed is adequate (yes, this is all in present tense -- I'm writing this review while sitting in the sun, by the pool, w/ a gorgeous rose bush to my left and cute, immaculately manicured trees to my right!). Wireless internet (again, I'm by the pool!). Easy parking. Great location. The CMI offers everything I need.

Check the Palo Alto hotel list. When you drive up and down El Camino Real, you will see countless "motor inns" all of which, I'm sure, are more than adequate. This one is listed for under $100 per night (I think I"m paying $77 or $81, not sure which), making it cheaper than the area Motel 8!

When I pulled up to check in, the Australian proprietor got up from his ouside picnic table retreat and welcomed me inside. Frankly, I want to buy this place and run it just as he has for the rest of my life (he just seemed so happy and content).

Stay here -- trust me, you will not be disappointed. It's not the Ritz, but who cares. It's uber clean, the people are super friendly, and the rooms and grounds are just so California picture perfect. I strongly recommend the Country Motor Inn!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

If you are looking for a friendly, convenient, inexpensive place in the Palo Alto area, this motel is for you! It is a clean, quiet motel with a homey feel to it. For what we paid, I couldn't have been more pleased! The motel is conveniently located right on El Camino - about three miles from Stanford University. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The pool was nice. The owners were extremely friendly and helpful.

I stayed in the upstairs "suite" and I highly recommend it. It was very roomy and comfortable.

The continental breakfast offered was skimpy but for the price of the room, I am not complaining!

• Liked — Location, homey feel
  • Disliked — Small continental breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

Worth every dollar spent. The best you could have from a motel - inexpensive, nice interior, quality bathroom amenities, clean, helpful service, pool, large green territory that protects from traffic noise

Stayed April 2007
PLAYA DEL REY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Country Inn Motel this past fall and we were very impressed. The managers, Jane and Richard, were very accommodating and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Our room was very clean and nicely appointed, and the pool area was so nice that we spent more time relaxing poolside than we had planned! We will definitely be back!

• Liked — friendly staff, nice relaxing setting
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple