“Nice spot for economical stay”
Review of Country Inn

Country Inn
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed March 7, 2010

I live in the area but needed a convenient place to stay while work was being done on my house for a few days. I was able to get a suite with kitchen which was great for convenience and saving a bit of money. I found the hotel to be convenient and charming and the little service I needed was helpful and friendly. It is a simple, modest place but very clean, comfortable and well equipped with such things as reasonable cable TV and wifi. The kitchen was basic and dated in style but equipped with essential dishes, pans etc. and entirely adequate for some cooking with even a gas stove. I had no trouble with wifi where I was and did not notice any noise problems except the occasional pair of people walking briefly right by the room, and that was not a problem late at night. There are some lights on adjacent buildings that are on all night but the window shutters did an adequate job of dealing with that. The shower head is mounted unusually low which was awkward. That is about the only thing that was an issue for me and more an inconvenience than a major problem. Parking is close by. The price was great; note that they do not offer an included breakfast. For me the kitchen was much better since I could have what I usually do but that wouldn't apply to all rooms. Overall I was very pleased with how nice it was for the rate.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed November 29, 2009

John and Barbara recognize me every time I stay with them. They are the most courteous and kind managers I've ever encountered. The rooms are spotless and well-maintained. The pool and garden areas are inviting places to drink coffee, read the paper, enjoy the continental breakfast provided. I've stayed in several of the local hotels, but I keep going back to the Country Inn because it feels like home. I'd almost like to keep it a secret, so that I can be sure to always find a room there!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Great, small motel in Palo Alto. Wonderful location. Good value. Very clean with great maid service, friendly and helpful innkeepers. Employees aim to make your stay a pleasant one. Ceiling fans, but no A/C.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed here overnight last week to see his brother play in the Senior Games at Stanford. Although we didn't use it, we saw a bus pull up to a bus stop right in front of the motel so a person coming in on a plane would not be stranded. We also heard about a free bus that travels around campus and other specific locations. Also heard about walking tours of the campus and the second largest collection of Rodin outside France but it was too warm for that.

It was an unusually hot day so we opted for one of the upstairs rooms with an air conditioner and then enjoyed the very nice clean & cool pool. The large lawn with shade trees and flowers in the garden gave a very peaceful feel to the property. It was surprisingly quiet even though it is on a main road. We met a nice lady at the pool and invited her to join us for dinner. Found a good Vietnamese restaurant about half a block away named Pho something. We all enjoyed our meal. There are several other options for food within walking distance.

A complimentary continental breakfast of yogurt, fruit, individually wrapped sweet rolls and coffee was available in the office at 7 am.

This is not a 5 star hotel, but if you want a cute, clean, comfortable accomodation with reasonable prices in a pricey area, this is the spot. I think it was $76.50 with our AAA discount. We definitely will stay again if we have occasion to be in that area.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We arrived so tired, stressed, needing a place to stay the night. The best experience we've ever had from a delightful woman at the front desk. She could not been more inviting or warmer had we been members of her family. I promise we will be back on our next trip to Stanford. Bless you lovely lady, so mad I did not get your name. The Inn is in a lovely garden setting with flowers and big beautiful trees. Feel at home when you stay there.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Just two weeks ago, I stayed at this hotel. I brought my children along with me. We found the couple running the hotel to be very warm and friendly. The rooms are very nice, clean and give off a cozy, "at home feeling". The whole experience was very pleasant and I would surely stay again. Planning on making reservations next time we plan a trip to the area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I booked a room at this motel and found upon arrival that AC is not standard. I was given a room with a fan, no coffee maker, no fridge, no microwave and I was going to be there two months for a job. They charge $13/night extra for a room with AC and another $15/night extra to have a mini-fridge and microwave- all items that are standard in any other motel. The first day there, rather than leave a message on the phone, the owner turned off my electronic key because he wanted to talk to me. This happened twice more- just what you look forward to when you arrive at your door after a hard day in the field. They also charged my card without asking me or discussing it with me. Having stayed in motels frequently for my job, I have never had a motel simply charge my card without informing me or asking permission. When my card was declined because they happened to charge on a day when I had already used the max charges (it is a debit card with daily charge limits) they again turned off my key and further obssessed about my card being declined, despite the fact that I explained the way the debit/charge card works. They treated me like a crook. I was informed that I could not leave the privacy card on the door all the time (despite the fact that I have valuable electronics in there) and that I am not paying for privacy, but for the room. I had already made arrangements to have the room cleaned once a week as I am rarely there, working all day and I re-use the towels to save water. I was astounded that the owners believe that I am not entitled to privacy in the room which I am paying for. Daily the owner comes pounding on my door- disturbing me while I am working on the PC. He does not seem to understand that the telephone will serve the same function. I would never stay here again and would never recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank reithro