“Very Charming”
Review of Country Inn

Country Inn
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed October 22, 2008

Just two weeks ago, I stayed at this hotel. I brought my children along with me. We found the couple running the hotel to be very warm and friendly. The rooms are very nice, clean and give off a cozy, "at home feeling". The whole experience was very pleasant and I would surely stay again. Planning on making reservations next time we plan a trip to the area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn

Reviewed September 2, 2008

I booked a room at this motel and found upon arrival that AC is not standard. I was given a room with a fan, no coffee maker, no fridge, no microwave and I was going to be there two months for a job. They charge $13/night extra for a room with AC and another $15/night extra to have a mini-fridge and microwave- all items that are standard in any other motel. The first day there, rather than leave a message on the phone, the owner turned off my electronic key because he wanted to talk to me. This happened twice more- just what you look forward to when you arrive at your door after a hard day in the field. They also charged my card without asking me or discussing it with me. Having stayed in motels frequently for my job, I have never had a motel simply charge my card without informing me or asking permission. When my card was declined because they happened to charge on a day when I had already used the max charges (it is a debit card with daily charge limits) they again turned off my key and further obssessed about my card being declined, despite the fact that I explained the way the debit/charge card works. They treated me like a crook. I was informed that I could not leave the privacy card on the door all the time (despite the fact that I have valuable electronics in there) and that I am not paying for privacy, but for the room. I had already made arrangements to have the room cleaned once a week as I am rarely there, working all day and I re-use the towels to save water. I was astounded that the owners believe that I am not entitled to privacy in the room which I am paying for. Daily the owner comes pounding on my door- disturbing me while I am working on the PC. He does not seem to understand that the telephone will serve the same function. I would never stay here again and would never recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank reithro
Reviewed August 19, 2008

Hubby and I and our 17 yr old son stayed at this motel two nights while visiting Stanford University.
It was very pleasant and perfectly located.
Our room was two doubles, second floor, poolside.
Wi-fi worked fine for my son's laptop.
The courtyard/pool area is beautifully landscaped; has plenty of chairs and tables to lounge around (we had take out both nights; brought it back to the pool area and relaxed while dining).
Continental breakfast is simple -- coffee/tea, danishes, yogurt and fruit. We would have enjoyed some juice, only complaint.... if you're not a coffee/tea drinker, there's nothing else.
This motel is less than 4 miles from the Stanford entry and a straight shot down the road - nice!
Plenty of restaurants close by.
We will definitely stay here again.

ps. no hair dryers in the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank GlenandJudy
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I was in town as a professional photographer covering the Tour of California and had to have a very solid and fast internet connection with which to upload my images following the race. The owner, Mr. Czapelski went to three different rooms with me to check the wi-fi signal to assure I had the best he had to offer. The room was very clean, and he and the other staff were extremely friendly. The price was also more than fair. A+!

• Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed July 4, 2008

We read happy120's comments, and they must be talking about a different place! The Country Inn and its staff are wonderful (and there is no "Jane" there). The Country Inn is an economical gem amongst Palo Alto's high priced hotels. We stayed there on and off for 2 months as we staged our home in Palo Alto, sold it, and found our new home. The rooms are simple but very clean and comfortable. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They made it feel like our home-away-from-home.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2008

This was the most foul and unbearable customer service I have ever received in my enter life. We only ask for a room for my husband and my two little girls about 2-3years. Since we were younger colored people we were refused a room in an unprofessional manner. It was very offensive to me and my family; she was absolutely and entirely vulgar as a Manger JANE(older lady). JANE also refused to tell me who her manger was and treat us very impolite by telling us that we should stay in a motel with your kind of breed. I would never on any account recommended this VERY impolite, offensive, and disrespectful motel to any one I know. This is a type of customer service that should never happen to no one under any occasion. Country Inn Motel should feel very embarrassed to have very unprofessional manger JANE that makes there motel look repulsive and unworthy for any sane person .

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
7  Thank 120happy
countryinnmotel, Manager at Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2008

My name is John Czapelski. My wife Barbara and I are the managers of Country Inn Motel. We believe that customer (120 happy) confused another property with our motel. We are located in Palo Alto on El Camino Real. We invite 120 happy to stop by and visit our motel that has been successful in Palo Alto for 50 years.

Reviewed May 30, 2008

Very pleasant little gem that's modestly priced in an otherwise expensive area. Set back from the road so it's fairly quiet. Not a very new motel, but quite nicely kept. Very friendly desk staff, and it's not a chain hotel, so you know they must be doing things right to last this long. You could spend twice as much and not get anything better. Good sized room - the only negative was that the mattress was a bit too firm for my taste. Other reviewers have commented on the strong smell of room deodorizer - I recall that it was noticeable at first but not overpowering.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business