“Below average service”
Review of Country Inn

Country Inn
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed at this place for 5 nights. When we booked the hotel, we asked for a roll-away which was included in the cost. However, the roll-away turned out to be very lumpy and very difficult to sleep on. We had to make a lot of noise for the second time to the manager to pay attention and finally received a better bed. The breakfast was terrible -- high sugar content prepackaged muffins and danishes and bruised fruits. They often ran out of even these and don't seem to care that there are not enough. The wifi connection kept crashing and was very frustrating to reconnect again and again. We would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Terrible wireless internet signal in my room two nights in a row. The desk managers (a couple) didn't understand the issue and treated me like I didn't know what I was talking about. The woman was downright nasty, and told me I was the problem. haha! I offered to email the man a screen shot of the signal strength test I did from my room that gave it an "F" - worse than 95% of the US. He told me the problem was likely my 2011 MacBook Pro because he wasn't having a problem with his 6 year old Dell (at the front desk where he was probably hard wired!) Whatever happened to our All American "the customer is always right" attitude?! I won't stay here again because of the woman's bad attitude, let alone the internet issue.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed here while visiting grand children in town. Located near restaurants on El Camino Real. Our room was #10 back from the street. Clean and quiet. The pool area looked very nice. Minimal walk away breakfast was appreciated. One of the more inexpensive places to stay and was perfectly fine.

Room Tip: Higher numbers back from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Seacliff23
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My review is not so much about the hotel accommodation as the deceitful manner of the hotel manager "John". We chose this hotel because it is very convenient to the family we visit in Palo Alto and you can have a room with attached kitchen for an extra charge. We were planning to stay a week. We also chose it because they offer an AAA 10% discount (if you can get it). The first time we stayed there a year ago we were told by "John" upon check-out that we could not get the discount because we had failed to tell him we had an AAA card. We had to walk away without our discount.
This year I made my reservation through the website and in the comments section I specified that we had an AAA card and would like the discount.
After not hearing from them for several days I finally sent a regular email detailing our hotel request to their email address that is on the website. I received a reply signed from "Lettie", Hotel Manager saying they had not received my reservation request, so much for their website, but they could meet our accommodation request for a room at $76.00 plus $15.00 for the kitchen per night. She gave me a confirmation number and requested credit card info to hold the room, which I did. I realized that there had been no mention of the AAA discount so three days before we left on our trip (Victoria, BC to Palo Alto, CA) I sent a subsequent email mentioning I had a AAA card and could she confirm the discount. I never received a reply before I left or since I returned.
Upon checking in I mentioned to "John" that we had an AAA card. He completely ignored my comment and continued with the checking in process on his computer. He said nothing. He did not ask to see it or for the number. He gave me a form to sign that stated the quoted rate above and the usual items regarding damages and not smoking in the room.
Since he did not address the AAA card at check-in I wrongly assumed that it would be taken care of at check-out. What you have to realize with this man is he says very little about anything. It is painful trying to talk to him and he has a very curt manner. I assumed this was his nature but now I realize he is doing it on purpose so that he cannot be held accountable to anything.
Low and behold when we checked out and I said we have the AAA discount card he said it was too late. I should have said so at check-in. My wife and I were incredulous at his blatant attempt to once again not give us the AAA discount. He would not acknowledge that I had mentioned the AAA card at check-in. No matter how much I protested he was adamant that I had signed the form with the non-discounted rate and that was that. This man displays right behind his desk in plain sight the "Proud AAA Approved Hotel" sign. It is my experience and my contention that he does everything possible to prevent guests from getting the rate and as far as I am concerned he should be stripped of that privilege. He claims the AAA discount is a "privilege and not a right", I am planning to contact the AAA Association and request that he be investigated and have his AAA approval rating removed. When I asked him for the name and telephone number of the owner of the hotel he would not give it to me. Said the owner did not want his name associated with the hotel. That should tell you something about the owner and the kind of people he hires. We will never stay at this hotel again, even if it were better than "average", they are down right dishonest and manipulative.
By contrast on our way to and from Palo Alto we stayed at 5 Best Western Hotels and received AAA discounts just by requesting it on the on-line reservation. Only one of the five asked to actually see the card upon check-out.
Sincerely.....Bob

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Tokogawa
Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is a charming old-school motel, the grounds are quite nice and the place is in excellent repair. Stayed in room 3 which was a little close to the street, but we like the windows open (no a/c) anyway; the traffic seemed loud at first, but was pretty quiet by 10:00. The room was comfortable and perfectly clean, with no motel smell, probably thanks to the fact there's no a/c so the windows are often open. John and Barbara are lovely people if you draw them out with conversation. Contintental breakfast with fresh fruit, yogurt and packaged sweet rolls was just fine, and you can't beat the price. We'll go back.

Room Tip: Some units have kitchens.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy P
Reviewed October 2, 2011

You should always lock the door when stay there. Housekeepers just open it without knocking, whenever they want.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank John45722
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I had to go to Palo Alto for work and ended-up at the Country Inn since every other hotel was booked because of graduation week at Stanford. The room was ok although it had no AC. There was a very basic (and not very interesting) breakfast included with the room. They also have a very nice pool. The motel is not too far from Stanford and downtown Palo Alto. I definitely recommend it for travelers on a budget. Otherwise, it is ok if it is your only option.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business