“Good food poor service”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The greeter at this restaurant acted as if he was doing us a favor by giving us a table. The restaurant was nearly empty when we arrived at 6:30 but the greeter had to take a long look at a reservation list that didn't contain a large number of reservations. He then processed to put us in the back of the restaurant next to table with 3 young, noisy children. The server then took a long time to provide us with our drinks. The meal concluded after we were told the restaurant has a policy of charging for coke refills. Given the nickel and dime attitude that this practice represents I will not return to this joint.

;

1  Thank Ted A

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Unique seaweed salad...impeccable ingredients.

Soba vaguely tasted like they were the dried packaged variety we buy at Japanese grocery store.

Black cod with miso sauce really tasty.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

My attorney colleague recommended Jin Sho when I mentioned that I enjoyed Japanese food. We walked down the street, had to wait for it to open, but then were seated promptly. Service was top notch and the food excellent. The Corn Tempura appetizer was unusual (which is why we ordered it) and very good. Basically they take the kernels off a fresh ear of corn, batter them with tempura batter, and deep fry. It arrived fresh, with some green salt on the plate, was not greasy and very crunchy and delicious. We ordered a couple rolls and some unagi, all very fresh and tasty. The rice, which can be hard or tasteless in some Japanese restaurants, was fragrant and moist. We tried the signature dish, sea bass in Miso, and while delicious, it is quite salty from the miso marinade but rice helps tone down the saltiness. Very good. The best was for last - we tried a dessert called La Bomba or something like that (most of their desserts are professionally packed, and not very Japanese, but all looked gourmet and delicious). It was a large, white chocolate covered ball filled with two flavors of sorbet. A perfect end for a Japanese meal. I would go back the next time I'm in Palo Alto.

1  Thank LegacyPlanner
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Nice & friendly staff, great sushi, delicious teriyaki salmon. Nice atmosphere. We would recommend this place. Reasonable prices.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

A friend whose son has been on the Stanford football team for years gave this their top recommendation. What a great find. We were able to get a table right away. The restaurant is small but was very busy on a Thursday night. Each roll we ordered was great. Unusual and fun.

Great food and great experience. The only reason I gave it a 4 was that when the table next to us was getting up, their butts were on our table...and this happened at another table. This wouldn't deter me and I will go back..if my daughter happens to get into Stanford!