“Great”

The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs
Ranked #65 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Wonderful service and the pool was great. Continental breakfast was good and the staff was very pleasant and informative. Great location and very beautiful sunsets from the pool area. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank sewinginny
There are newer reviews for The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs

Reviewed March 7, 2007

I was in charge of finding 18 rooms for a trip to Palm Springs for 17 families to compete in an elementary school event. Everyone liked their room, the staff was helpful, the breakfast was not wiped out within the first 10 minutes of us getting there, and the two pools allowed us to let the kids take over without feeling guilty. Although I could hear walking around from the room upstairs, I couldn't hear voices from other rooms in our room, despite the fact that there was a family in the room next to us. The restaurant across the street had an extensive menu. The rooms were large, and although they had tiled floors, were perfect for our families.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2007

Aside from having trouble getting our cash deposit returned, it was a nice place to stay. I liked the separate adult pool and hot tub. The rooms were spacious and the staff friendly and helpful. It is difficult for me to understand why it takes 6 weeks to return a $50 cash deposit that took less than 1 minute to collect from us.

Stayed: January 2007
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Decent location, a few minutes drive north of the downtown of Palm Springs. Easy to find and easy to get to/from freeways.

Pleasent check-in, no problems. In addition to wireless Interent access, provided complimentary on-line computer terminal in lobby. Parking included.

Good-sized room, clean, firm but not hard mattress. View was of pool area. No elevator to second level (could present access problem for some). Quiet.

Two outdoor pools, both heated (rather warm for my tastes) and with adjacent hot tubs (rather cool for my tastes). One pool each designated Family or Adults Only, separated by Shower/Washroom/Pool Maintenance building. Surrounding grounds well kept.

Continental breakfast (included) was average. Limited awkward seating indoors, tables available outside under pagoda.

Good value. Booked online, one site was 20% less than the others (worth looking at all the booking sites). While in lobby, a walk-in customer got the same room for close to double the rate I was paying!

• Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank Chrisaf
Reviewed February 17, 2007

The biggest perk about this hotel are the grounds. The courtyard is absolutely gorgeous, with a jawdropping view of the San Jacinto mountains, and impeccably maintained gardens. Two big pools and two hot tubs, one set adult only, and one for families with children. Very lush!
The rooms are also fairly recently renovated, in tip tpo shape, super cozy beds, very spacious and clean.
Although the location is not good if you want to be able to walk anywhere, it is convnient for getting around the city via car. It's a five minute drive to downtown, a 10 minute drive to the indian canyons, 5 minutes to the tram.

Stayed: December 2006
1  Thank palapi
Reviewed November 19, 2006

I arrived at the Shilo Inn Palm Springs (Nov. 14th) after a flight from the east coast to LAX, and a drive out to Palm Springs. The hotel was relatively easy to find. It was dark when I arrived. The front desk person was friendly and gave me a map of the property where parking and my room would be located. Parking was not a problem.

The room was very clean. It was almost a "U" shape to it... with the door, bathroom door/area, bedroom, TV on one side; breakfast nook and kitchenette on the other. The balcony door was at the end of the U. The air conditioning seemed to work very well. The view from my balcony was a wall, and the view from my front door was the parking lot and the place next door. But the view didn't matter as much to me as room cleanliness did. And I found it very clean.

Once I got my luggage inside my room, I decided to visit the pool. I didn't look at the map closely enough to realize that there were TWO pools (both outdoor). But the pool I went to was the adults only pool (the next morning I found the family pool, close to the checkin desk). The area looked very clean and well maintained. I had the adult pool and jacuzzi all to myself. The pools are heated. I had a heavenly time looking up at the stars above me and the palm trees around me, swaying in the breeze.

I did ask the front desk for a recommendation for a place to eat. Right across the street there's a restaurant called Billy Reed's. The restaurant is along the lines of an Applebee's in price. Will try to review separately!

Little did I know the view just outside of my hotel room that I would be waking up to. The Shilo Inn Palm Springs is located near the base of Mount San Jacinto (hotel was only a mile or so away from the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway). Mount San Jacinto is a 10,000 foot peak, with the steepest escarpment in North America (if I remember my facts from my vacation correctly!). Stunning!

The Shilo Inn Palm Springs does offer a complimentary continental breakfast in the reception area. Plus, it offers free coffee and popcorn (again, if I remember correctly). The continental breakfast offerings included pastries, various juices (cranberry, orange...), and cereal.

The only thing I really didn't particularly like was the lack of elevators (I had to drag my suitcases up to the 2nd floor...) and the outside cooridors.

really didn't take advantage of the kitchenette, but it seemed to be configured very well (stove, microwave...).

Pros of the hotel:
1. Base of Mount San Jacinto (lovely view from the parking lot!)

2. Complimentary breakfast available

3. 2 separate pools... one for adults only, one for families (I really liked that!!)

4. Clean room

5. Friendly and helpful staff

Cons of the hotel
1. Outside cooridors

2. Lack of elevators

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
7  Thank LadyTravel
Reviewed November 17, 2006

Motel-style accomadations. My room was all the way at the back, a good hike to the lobby or through the parking lot. The bed was okay, but I noticed holes in the sheets (moths?) and grey marks on the pillowcases.

The room had a microwave and refrigerator. The all- tile floor is easier to clean, I guess, but it gives the room a stark, hospital-like feeling. Also it tends to magnify the echo of voices. The first night I stayed was fine because I had no one in the room next to me, connected by a door. The second night there were 3 teenagers in there and they checked in around midnight Pacific time. I'm from the east coast so it was very late for me. I heard ever word, laugh and scream from the next room. I yelled "PLEASE BE QUIET" multiple times to no avail. Thie TV was on loudly as well. I called the front desk and they called a security guard out, but of course teenagers only make more noise when you do that. I got 2 hours sleep tops that night, and that was after rummaging though my bag to find earplugs. Breakfast was mimimal. The coffee was lukewarm, as previously mentioned, and it is true that thee is only the powdered creamer. The bagels were rock hard so I had a danish. There is only a couch or two to sit on while you eat and a family of four occupied them so I sat on a bench balancing my tiny paper plate barely big enough for my danish.

On a positive note, the Bakers Square restaurant down the street was good, and the pool/patio areas were clean and well groomed. There is not much within walking distance however. Many boarded up buildings, glass strewn lots and out of business stores line the street on both sides for almost a mile until you get to the edge of the shopping district.

Honestly I wouldn't have stayed here based on previous comments, but my company put us here. I don't necessarily need a nice pool and grounds for my purposes. I need a quiet, clean room and some hot coffee and fresh items for breakfast. Unfortunately these items are the very things that the Shiloh Inn did not deliver on.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
#2 of 6 in Bryce
Stone Canyon Inn
Stone Canyon Inn
#1 of 5 in Tropic

Been to The Garden Vista Hotel Palm Springs? Share your experiences!