“Fast service~good place for lunch”
Review of Happy Sushi

Happy Sushi
Ranked #163 of 324 Restaurants in Palm Springs
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had lunch here prior to going to the Follies across the street. I don't like miso soup so the waiter agreed to substitute it with rice. The waiter was cheerful and friendly and offered suggestions. I chose the tempura lunch which came with salad and the rice. This would have been best served in a bento box..however it was very good. My only complaint is that the sauce for dipping the tempura was very salty, otherwise it was a good lunch for the price.

There are newer reviews for Happy Sushi

Reviewed April 13, 2013

To be honest it is better than average but not quite very good. The service was not bad - more typical American than Japanese, i.e. informal. But at least he smiled.

The sushi was just all right. We had the Rainbow Roll which tasted good. The Tuna Maki, however, was tasteless - no wasabi on the rice which was highly unusual.

We also had the Agedashi tofu. In contrast to the normal way, the tofu was cut into small cubes before being deep fried. They were chewy and worked very well. The sauce was also good.

For the main course, we ordered Tonkatsu and Mixed Tempura. The pork cutlet was cripsy but the meat was a little dry, as it was a little too thin. The tempura pieces themselves were ok, not the lightest batter we have had, but it was good enough. But the major disappointment was the lack of grated daikon for the sauce. Anyone who has eaten tempura will know that it is an integral part of the tempura sauce. When we asked for some, we were told that they had run out the day before. Sorry, but I have NEVER heard of a Japanese restaurant running out of daikon! It's the equivalent of a burger bar running out of ketchup. So that was a bit of a disaster on that front. I know we were in the desert but if they couldn't deliver daikon, how could they deliver fresh fish? Makes you think....

As Japanese restaurants go, it wsn't especially expensive. But all in all, could do better.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I went with friends to dinner. I usually don't go to Sushi places because I don't eat meat or fish. I was really happy with the vegetarian choices and large portions that they gave me. I had to share with the table. The waiter was nice and friendly and made us laugh. I really enjoyed eating here. Get there early though because it gets really busy, FAST!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Had dinner there last night and had a great meal - there where 6 of us - we were warmly welcomed - our table was waiting (we had made a reservation a couple of days before) and everything we ordered was first rate. we thought the price was very good for sushi (which can typically be expensive). the fish was the freshest i've tasted in Palm Springs - we will definately return.

1  Thank JGWL
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Everyone there was friendly & fun to talk to. Great service & the food was good, especially the sweet green tea!