“Fantastic Mid-Century Desert Modern Tour”

Palm Springs Mod Squad
Ranked #7 of 26 Tours in Palm Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: The essential architectural and design tour of Palm Springs. In 90 minutes, see what makes the city the mecca for mid-century modern architecture. The tour includes residential and commercial architecture by William Cody, Albert Frey, Hugh Kaptur, Wiliam Krisel, Donald Wexler and E. Stewart Williams. Local designer and modernist, Kurt Cyr, personally leads each tour with a maximum of five guests.
Reviewed February 19, 2016

We specifically planned a few days in Palm Springs to sample its Mid-Century architecture and reviewed several of the tours on TripAdvisor. This is the one that worked for our schedule and what a treat it was.

Our guide, Kurt, picked us up promptly at the Saguaro Hotel at 11:00 AM. There was one other couple and we all got acquainted. The van was comfortable. He provided bottled water and we were off!

It was apparent very soon that Kurt has an encyclopedic-knowledge of his subject and a wonderful delivery - animated, candid and engaging. He answered questions, and at several homes, he would pull out his iPad and show beautiful pictures of the house interiors. Kurt not only knows the architecture of the building, but provides intimate details about the architect and the people who lived in the houses. Just a wonderful introduction to this remarkable time in Palm Springs history. Kurt is a real salesman for the city and its greatest asset. He actually convinced us to return to Palm Springs later in the week, to see an exhibit at the Architecture and Design Center on The Bauhaus. We did, on our drive from Scottsdale back to LA.

We were delivered back to the hotel and our car. Before taking off Kurt gave us two delicious cupcakes and a coupon for a free sangria at the hotel. We took advantage of that as well.

PSmodsquad, Owner at Palm Springs Mod Squad, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2016

Lol! I love being a salesman for Palm Springs!!

I'm so glad to hear you were able to come back to see the Bauhaus exhibit. I hope you come visit us again soon!

All reviews
"great overview"
"air conditioned van"
"architectural tour"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 4 reviews
in 19 reviews
"neighborhoods"
"cyr"

Reviewed February 15, 2016

I am SO GLAD I took this tour. With only two nights in Palm Springs and a passion for mid-century modern and desert architecture I needed help to get value out of the short time.

The reviews on TripAdvisor do not lie.

Kurt is clearly passionate about architecture and design, he was a wealth of knowledge and historical context. This was not a tour from a script - we chatted, I asked questions and he tailored information and the trip to me. I was lucky as I was the only one on an early morning tour - so essentially a private tour.

I would thoroughly recommend this tour - and would even do it again and take the other tours offered.

Kurt is an active member of Palm Springs preservation movement and runs other events in Palm Springs too.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

It was a pleasure showing you our fair city. I hope you come visit us again soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2016 via mobile

Kurt and the PSModSquad are amazing. We did an architectural van tour and I loved every second. Kurt is personable, funny, and insanely knowledgable. I loved learning about the history of old Hollywood and Palm Springs and even the current events happening. From local starchitects and famous homes of celebrities to new construction beauties, Kurt showed us everything in 1.5 hours in a nice air conditioned van with nice bottled water. We're looking forward to booking an interior tour with Kurt very a soon. Thanks Kurt!

Thanks, Kyle!

It was a pleasure showing you around and I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 8, 2016

We took the Essential Palm Springs Tour which consisted of a 90 minute van tour viewing important mid century landmark buildings and residences. Kurt's extensive knowledge of the architects, their buildings and the people that lived and worked in them was exceptionally informative and entertaining. By the end of the tour we had a deeper understanding and appreciation of this important time in Palm Springs history. We're looking forward to taking another tour with Kurt next year!

Thanks so much, Susan!

I look forward to seeing you again next year!

See more reviews
Reviewed January 18, 2016

My girlfriend and I did the Interiors Tour and it was the highlight of our trip to Palm Springs. Our tour guide, Kurt, took us into three mid century houses dotted in various neighborhoods throughout the city, all while providing a fascinating narrative about the history of the homes, the architects involved, and the design elements used. In addition to being incredibly knowledgable, Kurt's clear passion was infectious, and we learned a good amount while having a lot of fun. Highly recommend.

PSmodsquad, Owner at Palm Springs Mod Squad, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2016

Rich,
It was my pleasure sharing with you the incredible built environment we have in Palm Springs. We have amazing houses, not all of them famous, but their design just as incredible - that is what I am excited to focus on with our Interiors Tour. I adore Palm Springs and I love sharing it with others. All my best, Kurt