“Terribly disappointing”

Ranked #22 of 23 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
Palm Springs, California
“Terribly disappointing”
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I have stayed at the Royal Sun Inn in Palm Springs many times over the past decade. It is inexpensive and is located in one of the best neighbourhoods of Palm Springs slightly south of the main drag of downtown Palm Springs. Room rates include a lovely breakfast down by the pool.

It is just down the street from the magnificent Indian Canyons and if you are interested in nature, visiting the canyons is a must. Moortens Botanical Gardens is a short walk from the hotel as well.

The rooms are simple yet quite adequate. Remember that this is a 2 star hotel and the accomodations definitely reflect this, but if you are looking for basic accomodations with no frills, the Royal Sun Inn has always been a good place to stay in Palm Springs because of its inexpensive rates and incredible location.

BUT, I will never recommend this hotel to anyone again. This is why: I think there has been a change of management at the hotel. As stated in previous reviews of this hotel, I too found the front desk staff terribly rude on this visit. This was the first time that I had experienced such an attitude at the Royal Sun. There is nothing quite like having all the members of your party individually having the same horrible experience to make you never want to return. It spoilt our entire Palm Springs experience. The lady at the front desk was patronizing and seems to enjoy taking the hotel guests to task. Do not even think of staying a minute past the 12 o'clock check-out time. You will be charged for another day, and only after quite a bit of negotiations will you be lucky enough to only have to pay a $20 late check-out fee. And of course, there is the charge for the safe that is in your hotel room that of course I never used. This was my experience. In addition to that my leg was covered in bed bug bites. Need I say more.

• Liked — The inexpensive price.
  • Disliked — Bed bugs and dirty carpet.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank interplanetary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My fiance and I "Hotwired" to get a two star hotel in Palm Springs last weekend. We got a rate of $37 ($48 after taxes and fees). Since on Hotwire you do not know the name of the hotel until after you purchase it, we were utterly dismayed to hear that we were going to be staying at the Royal Sun after checking out tripadvisor.com.

We were expecting the absolute worst accommodations that money can buy, but at every turn were pleasantly surprised at the very good value that the Royal Sun provided us for our quick trip to PS. If you can get a room here for under $70, it's a good deal. If you're expecting three star accommodations or better, go stay at a three star!

The room was large and comfortable, and included electronically controlled central air. The room also featured a microwave and fridge - that you have to plug in upon arrival (not rocket science). The fridge was so cold on the highest setting that, happily, our water bottles froze. Every room has a balcony. Ours overlooked the mountains. It was perfectly lovely, though at 116 degrees, we spent most of our time in air-conditioned comfort, or in the nice enough pool.

Plenty of lounge chairs and umbrella shade, and two BBQ pits for the use of guests. They even have BBQ utensils for you to borrow at the front desk.

The free breakfast was very nice. It included waffles, fruit, cereal, pastries, etc. 2 boiled eggs are a buck. How do you beat that?! This breakfast deal would be a great deal for families.

The hotel is about a mile or two down the street from the heart of PS, but this posed no access problems for us.

If and when we are looking for a moderately priced vacation in PS (as opposed to a four star), the Royal Sun will definitely remain on our list. There are so many crappier similar hotels in the area (e.g. the Cambridge Inn). If you can get over a bit of the less brand new and cheesy (e.g. extensive use of Astroturf flooring) elements, you can have a perfectly lovely stay there.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Luck_Dragon
Kapiti Coast, New Zealand
Reviewed October 29, 2005

The motel had an off peak rate of $39 per night. We found this in one of those hotel discount books but you could get this rate anyway without having the coupon book. Our room was on the second floor and faced East and was light and sunny. The tinted glass can make it a bit dull but we were there with very overcast weather. We did not find it dark and dull like the previous reviewer. We did have 2 earthquakes and 2 thunder and lightening storms in one day. The room is tired and the floor is a bit uneven..too many earthquakes???e.g. the microwave needs replacing and so do the cracked tiles in the bathroom.The fridge was not turned on as we discovered later in the evening when our milk was not chilled.!! I thought the room was pleasantly furnished. The free breakfast was excellent and you could eat it by the pool if you wished.

The management let us book in early and I think for the price I would stay there again.It is rare to get a room with microwave and fridge for $39.

Stayed October 2005
6 Thank TravellingKiwi
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Dark, dank rooms, holes in carpet, old pool furniture, AND A VERY RUDE OWNER!!

Be sure and double-check your bill upon checkout. The owner added 2 dollars for an “in room safe charge” – I didn’t use & $20 for checking out “45 minutes past the check out time.”

The owner was a complete jerk about the added fees & it’s not worth your valuable Palm Spring vacation memories to stay here.

Palm Springs is beautiful! But I strongly recommend staying away from the Royal Palm Inn, off 1700 South Palm Canyon Drive.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

Reviewed September 15, 2005

The rooms were large and very clean. There was a small frige and microwave in the room.
A free breakast was included in the rate.

I will never stay here again!!

The management and front desk are very rude and unfriendly.
You are charged .50 cents for local calls that are more then 10 miles from the hotel. They even charge you .50 cents if you are using a calling card or calling 800 numbers.

I asked the woman at the front desk what the charge would be if I called Palm Desert which is about 12 miles from the hotel. She advised me that I would be charged .50 cents for the call even if I did not use my calling card. However, when I checked to see how many calls I had made using my calling card their was a charge of $13.00 for one call made to Palm Desert. I told the man at the front desk that I had been informed that I would be charged only .50 cents he accused me of lying!! and told me never to come back to the hotel again. He agreed to take the charge off my bill but he does not have to worry about me EVER coming back to this hotel. I stayed for a totel of 9 days!!

• Stayed September 2004
3 Thank petluv
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2004

Since the change of ownership last November the quality and cleanliness of the motel has slipped from a previously very high standard. We have stayed there at least twice a year for the last 7 years but left early on our last stay!

5 Thank 850gew
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2004

We stayed at the Royal Sun Inn for 1 night at the end of May 04 and we felt that it was pretty good for the price we paid. The staff were not rude but not exactly welcoming either.

The room was a little dated but clean. It had a fridge, microwave, hairdryer, coffeemaker, tv etc..even aircon but it just needed a bit of a spruce up. The walls were a bit thin but the aircon drowned out any noise during the night.

The breakfast was very nice and there was a good choice of items (you can even make your own waffles) but the breakfast room itself was a little shabby.

The elevator was a plus point along with a view of the mountains from our room, the pool and the hot tub.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#10 of 16 in Indio
Stardust Hotel
Stardust Hotel
#12 of 23 in Palm Springs

Been to Royal Sun Inn? Share your experiences!