“Love the View! A great experience!”
Review of Royal Sun Inn

Royal Sun Inn
Ranked #22 of 23 Palm Springs B&B and Inns
Winnipeg,MB
“Love the View! A great experience!”
Reviewed June 14, 2008

My girlfriend and I were so very impressed with this hotel overall! Everything from our first impression to the staff, pool, room and view were all remarkable especially considering the price point. When we arrived, we had driven by other hotels we had considered in or research on Palm Springs, all of which were more expensive but none of which looked as nice as the Royal Sun Inn at first glance. When we entered to check in, the lobby was beautiful, spacious and clean and the hotel clerk was very welcoming and friendly.
Our room had a comfortable King sized bed, all the amenities as listed on their website, but the best part was the balcony and the view that extended beyond. I could not imagine a nicer mountain range view lined with tall palm trees. Picturesque any time of day and especially beautiful at sunset.
Every morning when we opened the door from our room, we were greeted with a beautiful sunrise that kissed the landscape. It brought a smile to my face every time as I walked the exterior hallway to the breakfast room. The continental breakfast was large and always satisfactory.
There is one pool and one hot tub, both are outdoor and ideally blessed with the perfect view! We found this hotel to be very well laid out. One of the previous reviews mentions that the building is a bit dated, I could see that, but it did not negatively affect our experience at all. Our room was cleaned consistently, the noise level was great. One night there was a celebration going on and there were children running loudly down the halls, but it did not last much past 11pm.
The hotel clerk/concierge was as previously stated very friendly but also eager to help when trying to find the best places to visit. He was informative and directions were accurate. We felt comfortable and confident in his recommendations and we had a wonderful introduction and experience to Palm Springs in great part from the hospitality received from the Royal Sun Inn. Did I mention that this was the least expensive hotel I have stayed in and the most impressive? We would certainly recommend this hotel and we will enjoy this hotel on our next visit to Palm Springs

• Liked — the view
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
france
Reviewed June 6, 2008

in 2006 we spent one night at the Royal Sun INN on our way to Arizona from L.A.we had already enjoyed the place and the nice breakfast served near the pool.Last month we visited Palm Springs longer and decided to come back to this motel.The staff was very nice and accepted discount coupons for 2 nights.We were given a very big and nice room with a view on the mountains .we had a coffee machine,ironboard,fridge ,microwave,and a safe as well.Though the inn was under remodeling we never were disturbed by noice or dust,everything was perfect.In fact we enjoyed the place so much that we extended our stay to 7 nights and they charged the discount coupons price for every night but 10 dollars more on Friday night and saturday night.Fair enough and excellent value in our opinion.I'm shocked to read bad reviews about the staff.All of them were extremely helpful with us everytime we went to the counter.to sum up we will say that the Royal Sun Inn is a place worth the money and offers very good quality for a low cost.we will definitely go back there on our next holidays in California.

• Liked — the quietness and the pool area
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Based on the reviews, we were a little wary, but pleasantly surprised.

The room was okay, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the patio area especially.

The location right by downtown is perfect.

Breakfast was better than average for free continental at a motel. The pool area is very nice, with spectacular mountain views.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
yorba linda
Reviewed May 19, 2008

We had a problem with the electric door lock on our door. We called manager to get it fixed. Three hours later he replaced the batteries, but it kept beeping four beeps. He thought there was a short in the wiring. He left, it started beeping again all night. We left the tv on to silence the noise, but you could still hear the lock beeping. We checked out the next morning, told them the problem and they said they would check it out... We will not go back to this hotel.

• Disliked — electric door lock noise
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

Dan68
Reviewed January 5, 2008

I've stayed in many hotels in & around the USA, so am not a snob or even too fussy...to be honest, Ive never put a review up but felt the need to warn other holidaymakers about this 'motel from hell'.
Booked a room with 2 queen beds at royal sunn inn P.Springs, turned up on the day & all rooms were sold out so had to share a double bed with friend....it was that or the car as they refused to refund even though I had written confirmation. Did not get an aplogy, just members of staff playing video games behind the front desk, Rooms looked like the set of a very bad '70s sitcom, damp on walls & curtains, nasty stains on carpets, broken, cracked coffee machine & human hair in bath & fridge.
(when I phoned reception to ask for a clean coffee machine the guy told me it is clean & I must of put the hair there myself!??

The TWO pillows in the room were lumpy with brown stains on them & the bed sheets were old & worn with a 'velour' ripped itchy topsheet that smelled REALLY bad so Im not sure what year it was last washed!...ughhh!! the bathroom had an old
flourescent strip full of dead flies with tiles that needed re-grouting & peeling paint. The damp really affected my asthma & they refused to move me into a different room because apparantley they were sold out...I find that hard to b.lieve.

I was actually quite polite on the phone (trained in Sales & people skills) so was appauled when the manager (not sure of his name but think he was Arabic/middle eastern) refused to talk to me on the phone for longer than 30 seconds, he said word for word "IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY, JUST CHECK OUT, NOT MY PROBLEM" Then hung up,laughing! I was in shock, so I went down to the front desk & was told by other customers that he had simply walked out the building as the queue at the front desk got longer & longer!!! Very odd, it really was as if they actually didnt want anyone at the motel & it was too much like hard work, If thats the case then why don't they sell the business to people who know about customer service? or at least hire ONE compitent, semi-intelligent member of staff.

FRAUD - The money that was supposedly 'held' on my credit
card for one night was actually swiped/taken three times (almost $300 in total) and when I phoned the motel to make them aware of this they denied it & hung up!!! Seem like the manager has trained all staff that in order to deal with a problem you just hang up. It was not put back on my card untill my bank contacted them threatening legal action.
My best advice is to pick up a local coupon book & try another hotel in the area, for $10 or $20 dollars more a night you can get a really nice, clean hotel with friendly staff by just walking in.

Stayed December 2007
3 Thank Dan68
North Jersey
Reviewed December 25, 2007

During a Vegas - San Diego - Los Angeles - Palm Springs - Vegas trip, this was the stop for my friend and me in Palm Springs. Arrived somewhat late on a Monday night, between 9 and 10 PM, checked in with no problems. I had booked online and got a great rate for under $50. I've stayed at the Travelodge next door to this place at least 5 times in past years, so this was new for me. The Travelodge has always been fine with me, but this place had extras - in particular, balcony/patio for every room, microwave/fridge in every room, bigger breakfast. It was also good to reserve through their website to get a guaranteed 2-bed room.

I loved that every room had a balcony - we had a nice little balcony w/ 2 chairs and a small table. Great view of the San Jacinto Mountains (you're right at the base of them. Very clean room, small bathroom but perfectly adequate, we even had a fridge and microwave. We cooled off our water and some food we bought in L.A., and heated the food for lunch the next day before check-out.

I hit the hot tub, the pool felt heated but it was just too cold out for even the heated pool. The hot tub felt great, I was alone in it, very heavily chlorinated. After a while I realized there was some debris at the bottom, and the more I thought about it the more it made me uncomfortable, so I got out sooner than I intended. That was the worst part of my stay. My friend and I needed to do laundry, their facility was adequate, but only one washer and dryer, so we had to do a load at a time. I would expect at least 2 of each machine anywhere, but it wasn't the end of the world.

The breakfast was more than fine. Some fruit, some cereal, some juice, coffee, danish/pastry/donuts, and they even had a waffle iron w/ batter, so we had great fresh waffles. More than I expected, and more than enough to start the day.

I will definitely check on the Royal Sun for my next visit. I can see this place being even better in warm weather when their beautiful pool can be enjoyed better.

• Liked — The value, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Hot tub/spa was a little dirty
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank johnny_07656
vancouver
Reviewed November 22, 2007

The Hotel has a good location, clean, friendly staff and ample parking right outside your door. The room has a safe they charge $1 per day. Breakfast is great you can make your own waffles, lots of fresh fruit, juices, coffee and tea. The hotel is a little dated and the carpets need to be changed, but the beds are comfortable. Pool and Hot tub in good working order and very clean. If you make your booking on-line the hotel does not get the information on the fly so if you try to confirm with them they may have not received it. Over all a good value for the money...Loved the Pool and Hot Tub..

Stayed November 2007
#10 of 16 in Indio
Stardust Hotel
Stardust Hotel
#12 of 23 in Palm Springs

Been to Royal Sun Inn? Share your experiences!