“Classic Palm Springs”
Review of Colony Palms Hotel

Colony Palms Hotel
Ranked #27 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We stayed at the Colony Palms for one night. When we booked, we asked for a room with a fireplace, which we paid extra for—$354 per night including taxes. We got room #3. In the end, it wasn’t worth it because the fireplace let out a gaseous odor. Also our room was dark and did not have much of a view. A hotel on the upper floor may have been better. The hotel has a pretty layout with the rooms around a pool, which we could not enjoy the pool because it was too cold. At one end there is the restaurant with a nice bar. This place is classic Palm Springs. One of the best things about the hotel is the location, within easy walking distance to the main downtown area, which is a nice walk. We spent an afternoon at Kofi, a cool coffee shop just down the block. The staff at the Colony Palms were superb—very kind and gracious, especially at the front desk and during check in.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ushma

Reviewed January 5, 2009

The Colony Palms is a very nice boutique-ey hotel, very stylish but has a few issues. The hotel is an older property but has been beautifully renovated. You get the feel of old time Glam Palm Springs here. The hotel overall is a small property just a 5 min walk from the main drag with all its shops and restaurants. It has a gorgeous pool -a great place to lounge especially if you're young and beautiful. Their restaurant is also gorgeous-we had a good though unusual Thanksgiving dinner there. Our room was nice though we did not have one of the casita rooms, just one of their average rooms in the back. The decor was pretty, the headboard is a padded Moroccan quilt headboard in bright colors, and the bed has a nice fluffy white down comforter. The pillows were too overstuffed-my husband and I both complained of neckaches. (I'm not one to bring my own pillow when I go on trips but after this one, I might change my mind). The room had a flat screen TV on a side wall which meant you had to turn your head to your left to watch tv from the bed. The room also had a minibar and a huge selection of booze displayed on the countertop-they're definitely hoping to sell a lot of booze. The bathroom had a nice saltillo-like tile floor, black carved wood vanity and a couple of "artsy" framed photos for decor. I had one big issue with the bathroom: there was no tub, just a huge shower that is an accident waiting to happen. Whoever decided to put glossy 4 inch tiles on the bottom of a hotel shower and no grab bars anywhere is not too smart. I nearly slipped several times. The other safety issue I had was that the hotel rooms are open from the street and our door had no peephole. Someone knocked on our door at night and we weren't able to see who it was-a little unnerving. Lastly, one of the artsy photos in the bathroom kind of offended me. It had a photo of an implied threesome -a man and two women in lingerie on a bed having a pillow fight. I guess I'm just not hip enough, and that would probably be my last comment. This place is hip and I think it wants it's guests to be too. It was nice enough for us once but we'll go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mustluvdogz
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Ours was the first wedding of its size at this newly renovated hotel and they did a spectacular job. We filled the hotel with family and friends and received nothing but raves about the ambiance, comfort, and service. The staff was extremely professional and helpful in every way imagineable, making our wedding and the entire weekend there a huge success. From the reception speciality drinks to the last crumbs of brunch on Sunday, every catering detail was carried out as promised, and then some. With the number of people served (170) everyone expected "banquet" quality, but the hotel outdid itself: the dinner was spectacular, as good as in their fine restaurant, served beautifully - and hot - from the first to the last guest.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank LATraveler77
Reviewed December 1, 2008

The Colony Palms Hotel is a hidden gem in the desert. The friendly and courteous staff makes the stay a complete joy. The pool is completely relaxing during the day and is pure magic at night with the spectacular moon setting. A truly memorable weekend....

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank mlenoci
Reviewed November 26, 2008

The boutique hotel has the advantage of location. The view of the mountains is stunning and town is a 5 min walk away. I spent most of my time on the property, hanging out with friends by the pool on the chic day beds and dining at the restaurant, which has one of the best chefs around. The intimate size makes it feel cozy--you just run into your friends who are also staying there, with no need for texting or planning. It would be a great place for a wedding or retreat. I had a great massage at the Moroccan themed spa.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank dstar23
Reviewed November 13, 2008

I've stayed at PS's higher-profile hotels -- including the Parker and the Viceroy -- but the Colony Palms is my favorite thus far. The rates, considering the level of luxury evident in the furnishings, are unbeatable; I paid $119 for a midweek stay (not including tax or the admittedly unfortunate $18 "resort fee" endemic to PS hotels), and the decor is seriously swank. (That said, the building it's housed in is an older, rehabbed mid-century motel, so -- much like the Viceroy -- the less-expensive rooms are relatively small and low-ceilinged.) Although I didn't have time to take advantage of them, the pool area and adjacent restaurant/bar are gorgeous, and I imagine they'd provide for a very interesting scene on the weekend (midweek is admittedly quiet in PS). The location's great: in the middle of downtown and within easy walking distance of several of the city's best dining establishments and mid-century furniture stores.

Demerits (though I'm still giving the place five stars): the hotel complex consumes a full city block, and it can be accessed from each side, all but one of which are dark and deserted at night. From a security perspective, I think it would be a good idea to at least make the three side gates accessible by card key access only. Also, not that I can blame them for trying to cut costs in a challenging economy, but they state outright that linens are only changed every third day (and of course at checkout), and room service menus are "seasonal and available upon request." Finally, although it's nowhere near as confusing as the Viceroy -- an amalgam of what used to be three separate motels -- the hotel's grounds are a rather mixed jumble, though the pool and restaurant/bar are dead center in the middle.

I would unhesitatingly recommend the Colony Palms, and I will definitely stay there again on future PS visits.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank Jeff K
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Let me start off by saying that I stumbled upon this gorgeous property by accident looking for a place to get married in Palm Springs. Tim Anctil, the hotel manager gave us a grand tour and we immediately fell in love with the staff and the decor. We decided to book our wedding the next day. The Sunday Jazz brunch with the John Stanley King band at the pool is truly the best way to spend a leisure afternoon in the desert. The food is spectacular and the service is unbeatable. We stayed in a Casita and it was fabulous, the private outdoor jacuzzi tub is the perfect way to end your day. Truly amazing! Eric at the front desk went above and beyond to make sure that each and every one of our guests was comfortable and happy with their room upon check in. Every single detail was handled expeditiously and professionally, even when I forgot to order a bridesmaid bouquet, Eric took care of it with the florist, Palm Springs Flower Mart, which was also a fabulous find. This hotel is truly a gem and will always be my favorite hotel in Palm Springs.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple