“Lovely grounds, so-so service and mediocre rooms...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Colony Palms Hotel

Colony Palms Hotel
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Madison, Wisconsin
“Lovely grounds, so-so service and mediocre rooms...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The good: nice pool, decent restaurant, lovely gardens, nice shower in bathroom. Good service in restaurant.
The not-so-good: Rooms not so great to hang out in if you want to escape public spaces, loud air conditioning, thin walls (diagnosed neighbor with sleep apnea), attached "patio" tiny and not inviting at all. Appears that most rooms do not have attached, appealing outdoor spaces. Service at front desk and poolside were sluggish.

For my money, I'll go back to Viceroy next time. Several pools, spot-on service and most rooms have nice patios/decks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We enjoyed ourself.The room was nice,staff was great.The Location was good for us because we could walk everywhere.We went to a small farmers market a couple blocks away.very relaxing.We had a drink and snack by the pool.It was great,not cheap but worth it.I thought it was lovely

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heart001
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My Kids and I were competing in a triathlon in La Quinta- about 45 minutes from Palm Springs. The staff was so accommodating. They allowed me to ship three very large boxes containing our bikes which they stored before our arrival, and helped get them shipped back after we left. Thanks Jonathan (excellent bellman). When I told the staff we needed to be up two days in a row at 5am, they made special arrangements to make the coffee 2 hours early. We stayed in the main building in a beautiful suite--- Clean, crisp, with a beach like Moroccan feel. The food at the Purple .... Restaurant was nouveau franc and the kids loved it (11, 18). The best was the pool and hot tub and cabanas. My son on sunday afternoon following a grueling competition said "Does life get any better than this". I looked around at sun bouncing off the pool, sunk into the mattress, felt the 80 degree heat, tasted my fresh brunch omelette, and said "I really don't think so". Another bonus is the location, we were able to enjoy all that downtown offered--- don't miss the chinese foot massages or some really good Italian restaurants just a few blocks away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

We drove into Palm Springs without reservations for the night. We looked around and this hotel had street appeal, so I went in.

Reception couldn't have been nicer. They told me the price of a room and when I said out of my league, instead of sneering, they worked hard to accommodate. The pool staff was genuinely friendly; they helped us find a vegan restaurant. The decor is beautifully done and the pool is refreshing. Eye pleasing everywhere you look. We will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

The hotel is small and charming no doubt. It has a nice pool, and a nice restaurant, PURPLE or something like that. But it attracts an element. I saw casual drug use, and excessive alcoholic consumption, maybe that is just PSP for you. The gym is non existent, just a tread mill here or two and the rooms needs a lot of help though nicely appointed they are tiny. Also I bought a mountain view. Got to my room and went to the smallish back window and saw a parking lot in back. Called front desk and they said my view room was the entry area. So you sit in a public hallway and yes there was a small table with a chair but honestly, this was no balcony it was where your door mat is. Not a view room. Sorry not even close. Other than that, its still better than that tacky bridesmaidszilla place the Viceroy for me... Depends what you want.

Room Tip: don't get a view room, you'll be sitting on your door mat.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tomk626
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I will be one of the few who didn't love the Colony Palms. Admittedly, I am pretty particular about hotels… but many travelers are, so maybe this review will be helpful to them.

In my opinion, the photos on the website make the Colony Palms look more luxurious and glamorous than it really is. We had high hopes when we looked online and read the reviews. However, we were disappointed. Here are a few reasons why:

The food at the restaurant was just average. Lunch was OK (crab cake sandwich was edible but fries were sort of soggy and they brought out the wrong order for my husband), but the breakfast was really not good (pretty bad huevos rancheros and unripe fruit). Our room was dark (one dim overhead light and two bedside lamps) which made it hard to see in the closet. The decor was very basic. Intermittently, the safe didn't work correctly (sometimes if you punched #3, a #6 showed up on the screen). We were given a handicapped-equipped room which is not a problem, but the shower head was a hand-held wand and it pointed straight down so we had to stand right by the wall to get under the water. There was no door on the shower which made it cold (this wasn't just because it was a handicapped room… our friend's shower had no door either). Our towel rod broke and fell on the floor. There was no full length mirror. The thermostat wouldn't go below 70. On two separate occasions I asked the front desk for change for a $20 and they didn't have it. While there is free wi-fi in the rooms, each time I turned off my device (both phone and iPad) I had to sign in again when I turned it back on. I didn't power down each time, I just turned off the phone like you normally do. The walkways at night are poorly lit and very dark. Lastly, the price of the room was high for what you got (went up to $429 on Friday night!)… AND there is a $26 resort fee added daily.

None of these things individually is a deal-breaker, but putting them all together made for a disappointing stay at the Colony Palms. I do want to say that the staff were very nice and helpful… and the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank g0t0ne
Orange County and UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Beautiful setting with the restaurant next to the pool.
We arrived earlier than check in, I think its 4pm which I think is late. We were able to get things out of suitcase while we were on the patio area and then our suitcases were looked after. We walked into town for lunch and returned to the hotel. It just seemed a bit naff that guests already checked into this hotel had to share the pool area with those of us waiting for a room, we're sitting there in our normal clothes, our handbags and rucksacks with us, waiting for the 4pm checkin. Then when we got to checkin the receptionist on the desk didn't recognise us. If it really was a top class hotel, they would have recognised us from 2 hours earlier, and when we got to our room our suitcases would have been waiting for us. Instead we had to wait for them, strange.

The room was pleasant and basic, predominantly white with a bit of tapestry. It reminded me of a hotel in Antigua. We had a nice drink at the bar later on and went into town for a meal. The next day we spent the morning by the pool until checkout. We had breakfast at the hitel, which is a lovely setting. Water kept seeping through the sunbeds so we got through about 10 extra towels under our backside! There were a few guests with dogs climbing over the sunbeds. I'm not sure what those Californians with 'allergeeees' would have made of that! It kept me amused anyway' watching the dogs get pampered in the sun.

Pleasant room, predominantly white with

Room Tip: No patio with our room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple