All reviews purple palm casita room boutique hotel pool area mini bar outdoor fireplace romantic getaway poolside service great boutique mid week old school beautiful pool lounge chairs the parker small hotel the main drag downtown area
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My sister and I (both busy and overextended moms!) had a wonderful getaway to the Colony Palms! In every sense of the word "getaway," we felt like we were swept away to another world. I compared the setting to something out of Disney (we're moms, ok?!) because every detail made us feel like were were in a different place and time. We appreciated the attention to detail such as the lush foliage, climbing plants around doorways, intimate sitting areas around candles and fireplaces, fresh/cold water infused with lemons and oranges at the pool, complimentary coffee in the morning, and the list goes on! In fact, we ate most of our meals at the Purple Palms (in house restaurant) because we not only loved the food and service, but the setting located right by the pool was so relaxing and luxurious. Even in the 100+ degree weather, the misters were on in the daytime giving a truly tropical feel. We requested a room with 2 beds and as such, it felt a bit small. But our bathroom was huge and we loved the Bigelow lotions, soaps, and shampoo! Our room also had a pretty fountain and sitting area right outside our door. We appreciated the valet service being included in the $25 resort fee because we didn't have to walk to our car and the valet guy was so helpful in giving us directions. Because of the romantic and luxurious vibe, this place is not appropriate for little kids as most guests are having romantic weekends or personal retreats. All in all, we will definitely be back -- and next time, maybe with our significant others!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are definitely more private and offer little sitting areas and nice touches like water features.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This is a lovely hotel for couples - not advised for families. They have really nice facilities but you have to stay in the hotel to get the value of them which we didn't as we arrived late. Rooms unfortunately didn't make up for it as that's all we used. They're not bad rooms, clean, ok decor wise, bit on the small side especially if you have children. Overall I thought it was expensive and would recommend to couples not wanting to do anything else apart from relax in the nice surroundings. Incidentally don't come in August as everything and everyone has left town so lots of shops and restaurants closed.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Miss-sip
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Great vibe at this classic Mediterranean hotel updated with Moroccan finishes and design. We loved the ambience - especially the endless supply of chic and chill-lax music by the pool (literally hours without repeat) - the uber-cool day beds where you can snuggle up and watch the stars at night. Best for romantically inclined couples who love an unpretentious scene (sorry Viceroy) - the food was amazing and simple and affordable - and the service was easy and laid back from the front desk to the spa and wait staff. We will return (in Winter)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was outstanding. I was extremely hesitant to stay here because my husband booked it, but it was just outstanding. An old estate, this property was updated and gorgeous. It felt like you were a very welcomed guest at a ritzy estate. This property is small. You are not walking into a huge chain, but there is something inherently charming about that. This was once a mobster's hideaway where celebrities flocked. Read the history because it makes the hotel feel slightly scandalous.

Now the details:

Check-in: You need to valet upon arrival. Not an issue, just a fact. It seemed that they were not ready for our arrival, however, it turned out it was because we received champagne, flowers, and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival. Cute lobby. Helpful employees with a knowledge of the area- offering maps, suggestions for food, attractions.

Property: This is a small hotel with posh features. There are day beds by the pools and cabanas off to the side. There is an amazing pool... AMAZING... and a gym and spa. Despite the heat, the pool was an amazing relief and there was plenty of shade.

Room: The Spanish-style hotel screams old Hollywood, but the inside is updated. Our room was large with a flat screen, iPod hook-up, VERY reasonably priced mini-bar and large bathroom with EXCELLENT toiletries. There was no view from the room, but there was a cafe sized table and chairs on the inside of the balcony. There was also no real place to put luggage. A few luggage stands could help.

Restaurant: Amazing. One of the best meals on our two week trip around California. The waiter seemed pushy at first, but we realized he was extremely knowledgeable. We had the meat and cheese platters. I had a special, which was amazing, and my husband loved every bit of his entree.

Service: There was one person serving the pool, but it wasn't an issue for us. We weren't there to be waited on hand and foot.

Bottom Line: Romantic, Old Hollywood, Oasis...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cr0wlondaPr0wl
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel has a cool, boutique feel. The rooms are tasteful and updated, and the overall feel of the place is eclectic. There was one cocktail waitress for a busy weekend, and she was unattentive. I thought I could lure her to better serve us the following day by tipping her well the first day, but no luck. The restaurant was good, and the waitress was too.

There were $150 of extra charges made to my room, which was the hotel's mistake and they claimed someone staying in a casita had the same room number and it was an accident. The hotel manager gave me a luke-warm apology and made me feel like I was a jerk for disputing the charge. I had to ask who I could follow-up with since he didn't give me the impression he would...and he didn't. There is still an outstanding charge that has not been remedied.

This hotel was a "wild card" choice for me since I found it on Groupon. Based on the customer service, I would NEVER pay the $$$ they are asking for the nightly stay had I not received a discounted rate. Overall, this place could be a gem, but it fell flat for me and ended on a sour note with the room charge issue.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple