All reviewspurple palmcasita roomboutique hotelpool areamini baroutdoor fireplaceromantic getawaypoolside servicegreat boutiquemid weekold schoolbeautiful poollounge chairsthe parkersmall hotelthe main dragdowntown area
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was outstanding. I was extremely hesitant to stay here because my husband booked it, but it was just outstanding. An old estate, this property was updated and gorgeous. It felt like you were a very welcomed guest at a ritzy estate. This property is small. You are not walking into a huge chain, but there is something inherently charming about that. This was once a mobster's hideaway where celebrities flocked. Read the history because it makes the hotel feel slightly scandalous.

Now the details:

Check-in: You need to valet upon arrival. Not an issue, just a fact. It seemed that they were not ready for our arrival, however, it turned out it was because we received champagne, flowers, and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival. Cute lobby. Helpful employees with a knowledge of the area- offering maps, suggestions for food, attractions.

Property: This is a small hotel with posh features. There are day beds by the pools and cabanas off to the side. There is an amazing pool... AMAZING... and a gym and spa. Despite the heat, the pool was an amazing relief and there was plenty of shade.

Room: The Spanish-style hotel screams old Hollywood, but the inside is updated. Our room was large with a flat screen, iPod hook-up, VERY reasonably priced mini-bar and large bathroom with EXCELLENT toiletries. There was no view from the room, but there was a cafe sized table and chairs on the inside of the balcony. There was also no real place to put luggage. A few luggage stands could help.

Restaurant: Amazing. One of the best meals on our two week trip around California. The waiter seemed pushy at first, but we realized he was extremely knowledgeable. We had the meat and cheese platters. I had a special, which was amazing, and my husband loved every bit of his entree.

Service: There was one person serving the pool, but it wasn't an issue for us. We weren't there to be waited on hand and foot.

Bottom Line: Romantic, Old Hollywood, Oasis...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cr0wlondaPr0wl
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This hotel has a cool, boutique feel. The rooms are tasteful and updated, and the overall feel of the place is eclectic. There was one cocktail waitress for a busy weekend, and she was unattentive. I thought I could lure her to better serve us the following day by tipping her well the first day, but no luck. The restaurant was good, and the waitress was too.

There were $150 of extra charges made to my room, which was the hotel's mistake and they claimed someone staying in a casita had the same room number and it was an accident. The hotel manager gave me a luke-warm apology and made me feel like I was a jerk for disputing the charge. I had to ask who I could follow-up with since he didn't give me the impression he would...and he didn't. There is still an outstanding charge that has not been remedied.

This hotel was a "wild card" choice for me since I found it on Groupon. Based on the customer service, I would NEVER pay the $$$ they are asking for the nightly stay had I not received a discounted rate. Overall, this place could be a gem, but it fell flat for me and ended on a sour note with the room charge issue.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather207
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed for two nights at the Colony Palms at the beginning of July. Upon arrival we discovered that only 1 instead of 2 rooms were reserved. This problem was quickly solved while we took dinner in the nice restaurant at the poolside. Both the rooms were stylish and romantic, with spacious bathroom, and with soft beds. We all had an excellent sleep. The pool and the surrounding garden provide a good escape for the heat in Palm Springs. We relaxed for the hole day at the hotel, enjoying the lounge music and the nice drinks of the poolside bar. The water of the pool could have been a bit more clean, but this was probably due to the lack of personnel on the 4th of July.
Overall a very good choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and i enjoyed an unwinding weekend at colony. The service was great overall, the staff were very helpful and friendly, and the food was delicious at the hotel restaurant. The pool is 24 hrs so we were there basically all day and sometimes a little bit at night too!! The property itself feels like you are a guest in a big house, so its not too large and commercial like others in the area, and it had a sense of privacy. All n all we had a great time, and I highly recommend this hotel if you want to relax and enjoy great hotel experience..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I went to Palm Springs for the second time this last weekend and stayed at the Colony Palms Hotel. I highly recommend this hotel, the service is great from the moment you check in to the moment you check out. The location is perfect to go downtown, the pool is open 24 hours, and during the day the play great lounge music.
Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends