“Service, Style and elegance.”
Review of Colony Palms Hotel

Colony Palms Hotel
Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
newport beach
“Service, Style and elegance.”
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I've enjoyed Palm Springs more and more over the past few years. All of the upscale hotels seem to have something to offer, but no hotels have it all - beautiful grounds, well trained articulate staff, excellent food and a great energy. I know it's asking a lot, but coming from LA where you can have anything you want, my wife and I are looking to be blown away.

The Colony Palms exceeded all expectations. The grounds are so misleading from the street - it's truly a hotel you don't need to leave once you arrive. You HAVE to try the restaurant but make reservations first! My only complaint was that locals swarm the place and we were not able to get "prefered" seating as a hotel guest but that only meant we had to wait an extra 20 minutes, a small price to pay for the quality and presentation of the food.

Polite valet, attentive desk staff and the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in (and I'm a Four Season traveler.)

When you are in Palm Springs, spend the extra money on a one of their Casitas and enjoy the Hotel that offers it all.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mojay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
los angeles, ca
Reviewed November 13, 2007

This is a charming hotel with a very helpful staff BUT the thermostat is set at 72 degrees and ran at 74 degrees. No one can change it to a lower OR higher temperature. I was unable to sleep in the heat. People may wish a warmer or cooler room for various reasons, but you can't have this here.

If this were an environmental reason, then there would be solar panels, recycling bins, native plants, and fluorescent bulbs. There was none of that, so the reason must be to save money.

If they would change this issue I would stay there again, but if the comfort of their guests is not important I sadly will have to find another hotel.

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — hot rooms
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank stirlingmonkey333
Palm Springs Ca
Reviewed November 5, 2007

I recently had the pleasure of spending 4 glorious days at the newly renovated Colony Palms Hotel in the heart of Palms Springs & the original Movie Colony neighborhood. I have been a Flight Attendant for 21 years, Domestic & International,so I speak from experience of having spent many nights in all types & classes of hotels around the world. Now. to add a twist to this review, I am a resident of Palm Springs and was to begin a 3 weeks vacation right here in my home town, starting with lunch at the Purple Plum Restaurant at the Colony Palms Hotel. As I was dining pool side with a spectacular view of the San Jacinto Mountains, I requested a tour of the grounds & to particularly have a look at one of the Casitas, which are set apart from the rest of the Hotel. I could not resist at this point but to book Casista #8 for the next 4 days! I hoped for rest & relaxation with beautiful & peaceful surroundings and this is exactly what I experienced AND MUCH MORE! From the king size bed with the top of the line bedding(I had to force myself out of bed each morning)to the lucious bath towels & robes that are provided for the oversized glassed-in shower & for the tub/jacuzzi on the spacious private patio---I knew immediately that these 4 days would exceed my expectation, and they did! How lovely to return to my Casita each evening to find my bed to be turned down to just fall into. I dined several times at the Purple Plum Restaurant,I everyyhing was outstanding. I can honestly say that the Angus Burger with goat cheese & pesto shoestring fries is the best anywhere! Therefore, my advise is to run, don't walk, to this new "Oasis in the Desert" for dining or for a wonderful "get-a-way".You will be glad that you did.Thanks to a very professional & effecient staff, I am writing this review as it is evident that they have succeeded in bringing a lovely hotel & restaurant to Palm Springs that I will happily recommend to everyone.

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank sunsetPalmSpringsCa
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 3, 2007

Called a couple of days before to confirm my reservation. They said they had no record of it. I couldn't believe a small hotel could have
so much trouble getting their books straight. But with some back and forth - which should not have been necessary - my reservation was confirmed.

After arriving at the parking lot of the hotel I was thinking "Oh my gaahd, what kind of cheap motel did I accidentally book?" At most, it
felt more like an apartment than a hotel. Their website was definitely posh and slick and nothing like what I came upon. The hotel was in the middle of a remodel - I wish they would have had the
courtesy to inform me when I called a few days earlier so that I could have had the option to change my mind.

And it's not really located downtown - it's actually at least 2 -3 blocks to the restaurants and shops downtown. So in the dead of the summer heat, you have to drive the few blocks as it's unbearable to walk even a block.

To get to the reception, I walked past the pool, which was a scary murky green with 2 people sunbathing in the middle of the afternoon -they like being crispy fried I supposed. It reminded me of a Holiday Inn atmosphere.

I was greeted by a very sugary sweet (read: not genuine) desk staff and was told I was "upgraded" to a room with a fireplace - uh, how is
that an upgrade when it's 110F outside...hellooo?! So I asked to be put in a regular room without the fireplace.

The room, thankfully, was very boutiquey w/ exotic decor, excellent linens, very comfy bed, robes, super spacious shower w/ 2 shower heads with great water pressure, etc.

Because the room was as presented on the website, I give it a 3 raing
rather than the 2-rating the rest of the hotel earned.

• Stayed August 2007
6 Thank finicky1
San Francisco
Reviewed November 2, 2007

My overall impression is that this place wants to be, and sometimes assumes it is, a great resort - it is not.

On the whole, the staff is friendly and helpful. From valet to spa to room service and check in, the people working there were great (I was there from Sunday through Friday, so it was pretty quiet).

The "resort" itself has a long way to go to be world class. It is basically the combination of two or three old resorts that they have painted to look like one place. There are three pools (salt water- a plus) that are relatively small, but generally well maintained. I didn't really like the idea of sun bathing while breakfast, lunch and dinner were served right next to me, so I avoided the central pool as they have a pretty lively restaurant with tables located outdoor on the one side of the smallish central pool.

The buildings look like they have been painted, but not really updated. The interior of the rooms is a bit like "Trading Spaces" in that they painted them in somewhat interesting ways and tossed in a few (generally plastic) decore elements and opened the doors. It is obvious that this place was done on a very small budget.

My room was large enough and had a king sized bed, sofa, desk and armoire. What it lacked was a dresser - which sounds small, but when you have no place to put away your shorts, socks and underwear, it is kind of annoying. There also isn't much in the way of space to hang up clothes as the built in cabinet in the closet takes up at least half the closet and the other "closet" is taken up by the mini-bar. Not the end of the world, but annoying.

The bathroom was large and actually had a three tiered shelf behind the door which was useful in the absence of a dresser. It was simple and clean, if not terribly well maintained (again, the low cost renovation probably has something to do with how good it looks and for how long).

The spa is generally good. I booked a package of three services only to be called on the day of my appointment to be told that the facial person wasn't going to be available. They offered another treatement of equal duration and actually reduced the package cost by the cost of the facial appointment (so I ended up getting a lower cost and the same general amount of service). I thought this was a great touch and a great way to deal with a potential problem .

Lastly, it definitely is very centrally located and it was easy to walk to downtown Palm Springs.

Overall, not sure I'd stay there again. The service was very good, but I'm sure I could stay at a few places that have been built or refurbished much better than this.

• Liked — employees
  • Disliked — cheaply done remodel
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank 94131Traveler
az
Reviewed November 1, 2007

We arrived to find the hotel in a good area, but still under some consruction. The lobby smelled a bit, but the room was odor-free. The room had two double beds- per request for 3 guests, but towels for two people. The bedding was divine and the room had a nice TV. No information in the rooms- we were told that they were not done yet? There was supposed to be roomservice- but no menu? We made reservations for dinner, asked for the menu to the Purple Palm- the hotel's restaurant. We were brought the breakfast menu???

The restaurant was lovely, but the food was mediocre and over-priced. Great music- snooty waiter.

The room was very small, but nicely decorated. It had a tiny bathroom and tiny bar. No coffee maker. Lots of bottles of liquor to purchase.

Overall the hotel is big on appearances and not up to par on service or common courtesy items.

This hotel would be fine if it were half the price. If you want to stay in a pretentious bar-atmosphere, with mediocre service- this is your spot!

• Liked — Great bedding
  • Disliked — The stay felt half-hearted
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank caseymc
Redondo Beach
Reviewed October 28, 2007

My husband and I arrived at the Colony Palms Hotel on October 14, 2007, excited to get away from our 13-hour workdays and to visit a friend staying in a neighboring condo. We had used a third party hotel reservation broker online. Unfortunately, on closer examination of our printed "confirmation," we discovered it was a fraud, and the hotel, understandably, had no record of our reservation. The assistant manager, Bryan McGee, took pity on us. Not only did he book us a room without prior reservation, but he selected for us his personal favorite, #3, a quiet, spacious, and well appointed king room. As if that weren't kind enough, he honored the rate on our faux confirmation for an upgrade from the room we'd originally selected. Wow, now that's service!
Once that crisis had been averted, our stay was impeccable. The linens were top quality; the palacial, Moroccanesque decor was impressive; the pool, adjacent to a hip, open-air, top-shelf bar was large and refreshingly cool; and every staff member we encountered, including the executive chef, was extra friendly. Our only regret was not getting to try the restaurant, whose menu looked amazing.
If you like a boutique hotel atmosphere with more amenities and space, Colony Palms will deliver!

Stayed October 2007