“Relaxing few days with kids after long flight”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #23 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Sydney, Australia
“Relaxing few days with kids after long flight”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

We always wanted to see Palm Springs and thought a few days of predictable hot sun and days by the pool would help us and our 3 children (6,8 and 10 years) to unwind and relax after long flight from Australia. We loved our suite/little cottage with its own kitchenette...just the right amount of charm for us as we prefer quirky decor any day over the predictability of large chain hotels. The Viceroy was surprisingly comfortable with the 3 kids and would recommend it. There are 3 pools and one for kids/families like us. Staff were helpful at all times with tips on what to do/where to eat good Mexican food...etc.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank macmarkman
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had an opportunity to enjoy Palm Springs after your long flight from Australia. Thank you for your great comments regarding our property. It is our unique décor, grounds, personalized service and history of our property that differentiate us from the large chain hotels. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.
Diego Heredia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We planned a business/reward trip for a few key people. We used the pool area for the first nights cocktail and appetizers event. The food was incredible and the service was impeccable! The manager of guest services, Jessika, was so accommodating and made sure that the plan we set up went smoothly and we also changed location for the dinner for the next evening which she did with grace and acted as if it was no problem. The staff was friendly and helpful and made us feel like very special guests. The manager, Don Devine, really made sure all of his staff was accessible and helpful. We used the spa as well and everyone raved that it was wonderful. You really feel like you are in old hollywood, like the Marilyn Monroe & Frank Sinatra days of the past. We truly enjoyed the few days we spent there and are planning our trip for next year with possibly the same location.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to learn that our team made such a wonderful impression an you and the rest of your group. Our goal is to ensure a memorable experience for all of our guests regardless of the purpose of their visit. I have shared your comments with Jessika, Don and the rest of the team. We look forward to having your group back next year.

Warmest Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel, albeit in July last year, and absolutely loved it. The style, the decor, the spacious rooms, the bathroom products, the food, the pools. It was all fabulous. I work in the hotel industry and stay at a lot of properties and this one is right up there as one of my favourites. Palm Springs is a great break from LA and it is such a short drive too. This hotel is located a short walk from the centre of town, so great for evenings out. Well done Viceroy! I will be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
It was a pleasure reading and sharing your review with my team. I am glad that you loved everything from the style and decor of the rooms to the amazing food at Citron and our inviting pools. Thank you for making the Viceroy Palm Springs one of your favorite hotels. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Viceroy Palm Springs
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2011

I wasn't sure where to stay in PS as I was driving through. Some of the reviews weren't great on the Viceroy....regardless, I took a risk and I had a great stay. I am very picky about my hotels and I have stayed at some of the higher end hotels around the world....so I know a good and bad hotel, trust me. I thought it was great. The staff was very pleasant, the room was spacious, the grounds were very nice and the guests were attractive (yes I am a bit superficial....haha!). All in, I thought it was a great hotel and I would recommend it. Great aesthetic! If you are into the standard Sheratons or Hiltons of the world, this isn't for you....but if you like a cool vibe with a great decor and an excellent location, this is your spot!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments regarding your first visit to our hotel. We enjoy reading the reviews from our guests and although some are more pleasant than others, we use all of them as training tools to make our hotel and service better. I am glad that you enjoyed your room, the grounds and service. On behalf of the team at Viceroy, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We stayed at the Viceroy for 3 nights, starting Saturday. It was a small escape to Palm Springs for some sun. I was actually very impressed with this hotel for a number of reasons.

First, it's very trendy which I quite enjoyed. You can tell they cater to an upscale club during the weekends. We socialized with a diverse clientele the Saturday night around the pool. Everyone is out in the common areas enjoying themselves day and night. Interestingly enough, once Sunday afternoon hits, this hotel becomes dead quiet so if you are looking for peace during the week, you can have it here.

We were greeted warmly whenever we encountered staff and I found the employees to be more the nice and helpful during our stay. Minus a small incident (see later), the staff here is exceptional.

Our room was also tastefully decorated to a classic degree. We enjoyed the black accents in the linen trim, and the nice touches such a drapes on the sides of the bathtub. I agree with many other reviews that our room was never able to be cooled well during the night, but other than that the room was great. I only wish I could've afforded the villas - they looked great!

The common areas are really nice here. There are two adult only pools (not always enforced, but not a big deal), with the most comfortable pool chairs I have ever sat in. The furthest adult pool was our favorite, it got the most sun and was the quietest. We tasted some of the restaurant food and found it delicious.

A few drawbacks I'd like to mention - first, it's quite difficult to find the place (we drove by 3 times). There is no real sign, other than a small one on a post. Second, our stay was reserved for three nights and we were told on the 3rd day (rather rudely by a female staff member) that we had overstayed our welcome. Due to a computer error, they had us only for 2 nights and thought that at 2pm, we were still just lying around soaking up the sun. She went back to the lobby to investigate and returned to inform us that we were indeed booked for an additional night. No apology for her rudeness was offered, and it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Lastly, I found the $27 resort fee a little steep. While it did include internet and valet parking, if you had neither a car or computer, this fee is a bit high. I liked the coffee in the morning but not to the tune of $27. Nonetheless, these fees are a reality in Palm Springs and you just have to pay them.

Overall, I would absolutely stay here again. Despite the brief encounter with the female employee, I found this hotel charming and desirable. It's located within a block of downtown Palm Springs and all the restaurants, and has everything you'd want from a resort hotel. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and your great comments about the service and trendy clientele. I do agree that most of the hotels in Palm Springs experience a rush over the weekends from guest wishing to escape Los Angeles or San Diego. If you are in the mood for a quiet and relaxing getaway, the weekdays are the best time for this. We also offer amazing deals during the week on our website. I look forward to your next trip out to Palm Springs.
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Dear Viceroy,
My husband and I stayed twice at The Viceroy in 2010...and were very pleased with most of our experience. However, during our last stay during Christmas we and several other guests we spoke with were subjected to a very unpleasent experience that occurred over our entire four day stay.

We had a king suite room with balcony overlooking the main pool/bar-restaurant area. We were told this was an adult pool and the children's pool was located a distance away near some outlying rooms off the parking lot. This seemed a very reasonable way to assure children had a place to play and that people like ourselves who wanted a more adult experience were not subjected to screaming all day from romping young children. Well, unfortunately very young children were allowed into the adult main pool all day and into the cocktail hour and the screaming was non-stop...even when people were eating poolside at the designated restaurant tables. We observed many people leave as a result and frankly our vacation was ruined. We politely asked the front desk staff, on two seperate occasions, if they could inform the parents that their children needed to be in the designated area and were assurred verbally this would be done--it was not. Just the opposite, as a family checked in with very young children we overheard a staff person assure them the children could play in any pool they wanted and at any time!

So, we LOVE your hotel and would like to return but we, like many, many of the other guests and friends we have talked to believe this is a make or break aspect of whether we all return again to The Viceroy.

Again, we have no problem with children and thought your solution of having a seperate pool/play area was a perfect option unfortuntely it was not enforced at all during our time at the Hotel.

Please advise if we can expect young children to have their own pool and play area should we return and some assurance that that rule will be enforced.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. Please rest assured that we will follow up with the rest of the team to ensure everyone is enforcing our procedures. Since we do welcome everyone to our hotel, there may be instances when kids dining at the restaurant pool side may get a bit loud and this is very difficult to control without the assistance of the parents. We do however try our best to maintain a peaceful and relaxing environment for all of our guests. I am thrilled that you are returning in the coming few weeks and look forward to meeting you in person.
Nicosia
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I was actually quite surprised some really bad reviews - Viceroy is a little piece of heaven. The rooms are beautiful with extremely modern decorations, the resort itself is extremely quiet and relaxing and it is situated in a perfect location in a quiet street. I was really blown away by the decoration of the hotel and the restaurant which was magnificent. In addition the staff was more than friendly and helped us with everything we needed. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to visit Palm Springs and I will definitely choose it for my next visit in the area

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Dear guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review. It is so gratifying for me and my team to read reviews such as yours. Thank you for acknowledging our intuitive service, inspiring design, ideal location and amazing restaurant. All of us at Viceroy Palm Springs take pride in providing a memorable experience to every guest. Although it is always difficult to read the negative reviews, we use them as a training tool to enhance our service and improve product. Thank you for your commitment to not only return to our property but to also recommend it to your family and friends. On behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Please contact me directly when your travels next bring you to Palm Springs so that I can take care of your arrangements and welcome you personally.
Warmest Regards,