“Divine Luxury Caters To Your Every Whim”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Divine Luxury Caters To Your Every Whim”
Reviewed November 26, 2010

This desert oasis provided us with one of the most relaxing and satisfying vacation experiences. From the warm friendly greetings we received, to the funky chic clean decor and impeccibly kept grounds, the Viceory is a special kind of get away located at the foot of the San Jacinto mountain range. Step outside and you are literally a few blocks away from dowtown Palm Springs with it's quaint shopping, dining and entertainment. Step back inside and find the kind of "pampering" you deserve. Mention has to be made about our host Don Divine, who's friendly and efficient "ask and you shall receive" attitude helped us discover and enjoy the local arts and cuisine that made our vacation even more special. Don't forget to dine poolside at Citron, it's one of the best. Do yourself a favor and spend some time at this unique Palm Springs hotel and spa.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, December 4, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am thrilled that Don Devine made such a wonderful impression. Don and the rest of our team take pride in providing intuitive service to every guest and make sure they feel as though they are staying with family. Thank you for your comments about the décor, location, food and service. On behalf of everyone at the Viceroy, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please contact me directly once your next trip is planned so that I can personally greet you upon arrival.
Warmest regards
Diego Heredia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Seattle
Reviewed November 24, 2010

The Viceroy is a bubble left of plumb whe it comes to being a completely relaxing experience. Our room was small but not unacceptable. What was most unnacceptable was there are no drawers in the room! We couldn't unpack at all! Unless we wanted to put our clothes on the floor for five days. When I asked about this, thinking it MUST be an oversight, I wS told that they could bring up draws for our last night as they were being used by another guest. The burning question is, "since the rooms have double armoires why not simply install drawers?". Another surprise was the "Resort fee" of $28 per day! Couldn't that go toward drawers? Other than that, the staff was excellent. Very clean property. However, we will explore other hotels on our next trip. I never thought in my decades of travel to inquire about drawers!

• Stayed November 2010
1 Thank JazzManSeattle
Dear guest,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. As I mentioned to you on you on our email correspondence, the hotel has six rooms that are considered our smallest rooms. Although these rooms have all the amenities provided in our larger accommodations, they do not have enough space to accommodate a full dresser in addition to the armoire already provided. I am thrilled that you have agreed to return to our hotel based on the excellent service that you experienced. On behalf of everyone at the Viceroy, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please contact me directly once your next trip is planned so that I can personally greet you.
Warmest regards
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 14, 2010

I and two friends stayed here one night recently. The hotel is nicely designed but feels like a thin veneer of glitz over an aging property. At $250 a night, we expected this to be one of the better properties in Palm Springs and that's just not the case. The ceiling over the shower was full of water - apparently a leak from the room above. There was a large bubble in the ceiling just ready to break and spill water in our bathroom. By the way the ceiling looked, this was an ongoing issue. If that wasn't bad enough, the toilet leaks so that every 20 - 30 minutes, the tank refills which causes a loud squealing sound to come from the pipes. We had to turn the water to the toilet off to go to sleep. Finally the airconditioner in the room looks aged and dirty. On check out we informed the front desk of these issues. They waived the $28 resort fee and apologized but that was the only thing they were willing to do.

I would choose the Orbit Inn, the Rivera, Zoso, the Hyatt or any number of other hotels over the Viceroy. They're less expensive and better maintained.

Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review and for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize about the issue we had with your bathroom. The guest that was in the floor above you had left his water running and this of course went through the floor boards and into the ceiling of your bathroom. This has been repaired since your departure and the ceiling in that bathroom has been properly dried up and painted. We have also addressed the issues with the running toilet. I am glad to learn that my team was proactive in making an adjustment to your bill. Kindly call me personally so that we can discuss the details of your stay further and ensure your return to our property.
Yours sincerely,
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed November 13, 2010

Over and above how I felt about this hotel...I resented being charged a $25 resort fee under the circumstances. I picked up a room at this hotel through Priceline based on an agreed-upon price, and to show up late at night with no other options on this non-refundable reservation to discover I'd be paying $25 more than we'd all agreed upon was very irritating. I'm disappointed that any hotel would pull this (to be fair, Viceroy is far from alone in this practice)...why not just adjust the bids they're willing to accept rather than "trick" us? There are more honest ways to make a buck, and this business practice reeks of "gotcha" deceptiveness.

The grounds are lush, lovely, and professionally managed. They play edgy music in the lobby and there are statues of dogs everywhere, and fashionable and attractive young people in the bar. The interior...well, what to say. If you decide to go "avant garde" you should make the commitment. I wish they'd hired whoever designed the grounds to design the interiors as well. Personally, I think the black-and-white stripes, fashionably-uncomfortable yellow chairs, and plastic silver chandeliers cross the line from avant garde to tacky, but who is a guy like me to judge? I'm having to watch every $25 I spend.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FoxTamer
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. I apologize about your frustration with the resort fee charge. I did check with our representative for Priceline to ensure that the resort fee charge is clearly stated in their site. I am pleased that it is posted as the full disclosure of this fee in all internet sites is extremely important to us and our guests. The resort fee, which is in place in all the resorts in Palm Springs, covers daily unlimited use of the internet both in your guest room and all public areas of the hotel, including the pools, complimentary coffee and tea daily from 6am to 11am, complimentary news paper daily, unlimited use of our bikes and unlimited use of the fitness center. I hope that you were able to take advantage of these benefits during your time with us. Kindly call me personally so that we can discuss the details of your stay further and ensure your return to our property.
Yours sincerely,
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We didn't care for some of the staff. They seemed put out by even the smallest of requests, such as local recommendations. One even sighed. We certainly didn't care for our room. It was small and noisy, walls thin and we could hear people walking and flushing in the room above. We thought the room's design was tacky (only an opinion), but mostly it was worn and the white parts dirty. Our area of the hotel felt like a renovated motel. Grounds were well kept and the bungalows looked good. Massage facilities were fine but not luxurious or unique. Good restaurant. Overall, I would recommend exploring other hotels and lodgings--there are plenty of options in the area to choose from.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay. I was very surprised and disappointed to read your comments about the staff. Please rest assured that this is truly not indicative of the customary service on which we pride ourselves. I have shared your comments with our management team for further follow up and to make sure that this does not happen again. I do hope that this experience has not marred your overall impression of the Viceroy and that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence and restore your faith in us. Kindly contact me directly should you wish to discuss the details of your stay further.
Sincerely
Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We drove to Palm Springs from a very wet and rainy LA and the moment we drove onto the main road it was as if we were in a different world. It took us a couple of drives past to find the Viceroy as it is tucked away with no guady signs advertising it's wares! But when we did walk past the subtly lit koi pond into the delicately scented reception area it was apparant we had found paradise!!
Every member of staff we met were polit, friendly and so helpful. I would go so far as to say the best we have met anywhere in the world!! Nothing was too much trouble even when I mentioned I could not eat wheat the guys on reception not only got me directions to the nearest health foodshop but also rang them to make sure I had exaclty what I wanted!!
The room was stunning wih a really comfy bed, ipod dock, tv anddvd player! The bathroom was like a mini spa with beautiful toiletries to use and not just slly little bottles!! Fluffy white towels and bathrobes too!! Our only niggle was the amount of hanging space for clothes as half the wardrobe space was taken up by the safe and mini bar.
We didn't eat in the restaurant at night as there were so many to choose from in Palm Springs, The Fishermans Market and restaurant is a must!! But the choice at breakfast was fantastic. From fruit platters to blueberry pancakes and fresh smoothies something for everyone!! ALso comlementary coffee to go!
We only spnt one day at the pool which was clean with fresh towels and comfy sun loungers. Also everywere you go there is ice cold water on tap!! Again service was excellent! We didn't get to use the spa but I did hear plenty of good reports!

I wouldn't hesitate to cme back here and will recmmed it t anyone who asks!! The scenery alone is worth the trip!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Viceroy. I was delighted that you decided to come to Palm Springs to escape the rainy weather in LA. Thank you for acknowledging all of our team members. We are all passionate about providing intuitive service to all of guests and it is our joy to be able to make every guest feel at home and become part of our family. I also appreciate your remarks about the amenities at the hotel, the scenery and the many great restaurants Palm Springs has to offer. On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warmest Regards
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed at the Viceroy for two nights after spending three mad nights in Vegas. Wow what a difference! This oasis in the desert is stunning - relaxing , calm, clean and very friendly. A little difficult to find at first because of the small sign but once you step through the yellow doors you will be pleasantly surprised. The complimentary breakfast by the pool was divine - especially the smoothie! We can't wait to go back...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
Dear guest,
Thank you for providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. I am glad to you were able to decompress after three mad nights in Vegas. Our resort lends itself to maximum relaxation in the desert sun. I do apologize about our small sign in the front which may at times be difficult to find but this is part of the mystique and exclusivity of the hotel. On behalf of everyone at Viceroy, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warmest Regards