“***** An true oasis in the desert ******”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Toronto
“***** An true oasis in the desert ******”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Staying at the Viceroy was just what the doctor ordered. If you desire a truly relaxing stay in the desert then this is the place for you. After a 5 day stay at the hotel it was hard to come back to reality. The manicured grounds of the Viceroy are so condusive to calm, that it was all we could do to lift ourslves from the plush lounge chairs to order drinks from the attentive but not intrusive staff.
Breakfast and lunch in a cabana poolside was delectalble.
Dinner at the house restaurant Citron is a must.
An early morning workout, a swim,and a day at the spa is enough to de-stress even the most overworked LA crowd.
A room with a balcony overlooking one of the three pools was well appointed and the bed incredibly comfortable.
A chest of drawers and a light in the double shower area would have helped, as would a few hooks in the large bathroom but these minor oversights are quickly forgotten.
The manager of guest services and promotions was nothing short of incredible!!!!
As were all the staff.
We would not hesitate to recommend the Viceroy to family and friends alike.
We can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Monterey
Reviewed November 1, 2009

This little cool gem caresses you with a subtle rhythmic infusion of sultry background music, crisp white linens and impeccable service. The staff is conscious of your every wish and need. The glistening pools are cool and clean with classic Palm Springs stripped awnings sheltering one from the rays of their warm sun. All meals may be enjoyed pool-side as well as at Citron, Viceroy's signature pure white adorned restaurant. The beignets are killer! GM Diego and Don Davine, Director of Hospitality have their eyes on all that insures their guests are comfortable and satisfied. The property could use a little TLC, but the grounds, cool clean white bedding, and superb service make you easily overlook the warts. Don't forget the Estrella Spa...Wow..fabulous! Try the 'Back to Basics' back facial..it'll send you to the moon! I have just had my 7th stay at this little diamond and will continue to make it my Palm Springs getaway each and every year...I hope you make it yours! This property is located in the heart of P.S., just walking distance to shops and restaurants...and if you happen to time it right you could be a guest at one of The Viceroy's great hip parties that they host throughout the year!!! Don't miss this place!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, November 5, 2009
Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for acknowledging our service, beautiful grounds, linens and location and Beignets! We are very proud of our entire team and your comments have been shared with everyone that was involved in making your stay memorable. I am thrilled that this is your 7th stay and that you will continue to make us your Palm Springs getaway. We hope to see you soon. In the mean time, we remain at your service.
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Viceroy was a beautiful hotel. The rooms had great character. LOVED the pool areas. We went during the heat wave so got a great deal, otherwise I would not pay $300 for the small room.
The location was great, walking distance to the strip, casino.
The wireless internet didn't work in our room, so had to go to the lobby.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, October 10, 2009
Thank you for your comments. I am glad to you were able to enjoy one of the many great deals that we are currently offering and that you got to enjoy the great vibe at the Viceroy. Thank you as well for acknowledging our convenient location just minutes from downtown. I do regret to learn that you had issues with the internet connection in your guest room and apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused you. We have looked into this issue to make sure it has been corrected. On behalf of the Viceroy team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, CA
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We wanted something special for our 5th wedding anniversary so we decided to stay at the viceroy. We had a bad feeling as soon as we arrived, aloof was definitely the style of service. Apparently we got 'upgraded' but unfortunately that meant being above the noisy bar/restaurant and next to a giant cooling fan, so it was very noisy and not at all romantic.

I wouldnt recommend this for a quiet and relaxing getaway, we checked out and went to our old favourite, the peppertree inn for our anniversary, which was perfect, as always.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, October 6, 2009
I apologize that your stay with us was not as romantic and quiet as you had expected. Please forgive us for the noise issues you experienced during your visit. Our air conditioning units do get overworked due to the high temperatures in the desert and the humming noise can be distracting at times. I am terribly sorry that our team was not able to locate a more romantic and quiet room in the resort and that you felt we were aloof. Please rest assured this is truly not indicative of the customary service on which we pride ourselves. Out team is dedicated to guest satisfaction and are genuinely concerned with each guest’s experience. I hope that this experience has not marred your overall impression of The Viceroy and that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence and restore your faith in us. In the mean time, we remain at your service.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed October 3, 2009

This place is a case of retro gone wrong. I am all about historic "old Hollywood" and keeping things as they were, but there comes a point when you need to do some updating. The decor reminds me of what I saw at Elvis's Graceland on acid.

The bathroom is depressing, and the AC unit needs to be brought into this decade. The shower scalded me several times when it was only on cold!

The staff is indifferent, aloof and unaccommodating to say the least. They put us in one of the worst rooms on the property. the "patio" with a 9 foot wall, and that being the only source of natural light. The AC unit rattled and looks like it is original to the hotel.

My husband booked the room thru a website, he subscribes to, which entitles us to an upgrade, free cocktail, free breakfast, and late checkout, none of which we received. As soon as we checked in, we couldn't wait to leave.

2 Thank HMSchneider
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, October 4, 2009
I regret to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. Please forgive us for the AC unit noise and hot water issues you experienced during your stay. We encourage our guests to bring any issue to our attention so that we can correct these immediately and make every effort to ensure a wonderful visit. I am concerned that you feel our staff was indifferent, aloof and unaccommodating. Please rest assured this is truly not indicative of the customary service on which we pride ourselves. Our team is dedicated to guest satisfaction and all of us are genuinely concerned with each guest’s experience. Your comments will be shared with the rest of our team and they will assist us in maintaining our commitment quality and will help us take proactive steps to avoid similar situations in the future. I hope that this experience has not marred your overall impression of The Viceroy and that you will give us the opportunity to regain your confidence and restore your faith in us. In the mean time, we remain at your service.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We returned recently from spending a week at the Viceroy. This would be about our fourth time staying at the Viceroy. Booked directly with the hotel, (thanks George!)as that is the best way to assure you get what you want, and the price for a villa was great!
The few housekeeping issues we encountered were quickly handled.(Don et. al thanks!)
We love to just sit by the pool (LOVE Nancy!) or walk the grounds. The differerent areas and pools (thank you for a separate kids pool!) are really great. We did have few fresh grapefruits from a tree near our villa.
The closeness to downtown is a plus, as is the ease of valet parking, (here are my keys, bye!)the internet connection etc.
Hey Viceroy, how about a time share?

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, September 25, 2009
I was delighted to read your wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Viceroy Palm Springs. I am glad that George was able to assist you in booking the perfect room for your vacation. I do apologize about the issues you encountered with housekeeping but I am happy to learn that Don was able to handle these quickly and to your satisfaction. I also thank you for acknowledging Nancy as she takes personal pride in the job she does around the pools. All of our team members are passionate about providing intuitive service and it is our joy to be able to make every guest feel at home. On behalf of our entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 8, 2009

It reminded me of the old Rt. 66 motels,my family use to stay at. I wouldnt say motel 6. Not visiable from the street. Exterior entrance very inviting. Small Lobby was very hot. No AC in temps over 105 outside. Website states a huge property with 3 pools. I could only find one. May I suggust a map to be given out to guests checking in.
My room (2 queen beds) was decorated in black and white,very interesting. I wouldnt want to have a hungover in this room. Bathroom very small,but cute.linens,high grade,very quiet. valet only,but you can park on street. Valet was not present, when we arrive from being out for the evening. I thought it was a little pricey for the summer.People were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
diefab, General Manager at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, September 9, 2009
I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are genuinely concerned with each guest’s experience and comments such as yours assist us in maintaining our commitment to providing excellent service. Although, I understand that it can be difficult to find us when driving down the street, this is part of the exclusivity of the resort. I also apologize for the temperature in our lobby during your stay, but I am happy to report that we recently updated our AC unit for the lobby and restaurant and these areas are now a beautiful retreat from the desert heat. Thank you for your acknowledging our great service and amenities. Every effort is made by all our colleagues to assure a comfortable guest stay and provide a unique experience. On behalf of the Viceroy team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.