“Different vibe now way different”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
“Different vibe now way different”
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I'm a big fan of this hotel it's one of my favorite places however the fun lively vibe is gone. This time it was way to quiet and almost boring. Something is very different now can't really pin point it. An attractive front desk girl would certainly help. Maybe some cool upbeat music playing around one of the pools would be nice. The beautiful people that used to frequent this place are almost all gone. I don't expect the party scene of the ACE but I don't want it to become something like a retirement home. I also don't like seeing a uniformed security guard on the beautiful grounds it just doesn't fit with the look of the place. I'm not ready to give up on this place!!

• Stayed May 2013
ViceroyPalmSprings, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear DrFirully,

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are actually in the process of updating our soundtrack / music as I agree with you. The security guard is there from 10pm - 6am for the security of our guests, however should blend in and will be reviewing uniform standards with them. You've been a loyal customer and hope you do come back to see your input at work. When you do, please reach out to me directly.

Olivia Prescott
Director of Sales
D: 760-318-3018

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Bottom line: a good effort that failed to deliver. Check-in and check-out both took 20 minutes (at the desk) and involved medium-level inconvenience. An excellently decorated room disappointed because it was starting its descent into shabby. Nothing was really wrong, but there were minor breaks and signs of wear, and a bit too much dust. Some of the common areas were also utilitarian, and there were sound issues. None of this would have irked if the price was in the "cheap and cheerful" category, or if I was drinking vodka all day, but that wasn't the case. In terms of the other facilities, the exercise room was too cardio-focused, and a slew of weddings kept us away from the nicest pool and garden areas. Restaurant was sophisticated, with great staff, but a tad pricey.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank view_h0und
ViceroyPalmSprings, Director of Sales at Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear view_h0und,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. First let me apologize for the slow service you received at the desk. Check-in and check-out should not take 20 minutes so if there was anything specific that slowed the process down, would you mind sharing with me directly so I can ensure that this doesn't happen again? We only host one wedding a day to make sure we can keep at minimum one pool open while we close the Regency Courtyard & Pool for an hour, please feel free to reach out to me directly should your plans call for Palm Springs again but I do thank you for greater feedback on your front desk experience.

Olivia Prescott
Director of Sales & Catering
D: 760-318-3018
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Viceroy Palm Springs was a wonderful downtown Palm Springs resort experience. The staff are all friendly, informative, and very attentive. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. With three pools to chose from, there are plenty of places to lounge around and cool off after laying in the hot sun. Plus, it is in walking distance from many of the downtown attractions. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in early May in one of their Regency Rooms, and like it says on their website, "good things come in small packages". Despite the small size of the room, it was clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. I only had a few concerns: 1) there were very few outlets, which it made it a little challenging trying to charge all of our portable devices; 2) there's practically no drawer space, only a closet - so we could not unpack most of our clothes. (I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but when I travel I actually prefer to unpack and not live out of my suitcase.); and 3) most of the windows just had wooden blinds, which only did an average job of keeping out the morning sun as it came up - fortunately this was too bad, since my wife and I are early risers. Not withstanding these concerns, I would certainly go back for all of the other reasons I mentioned above.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed for two of our four nights in Palm Springs at the Viceroy - we would have stayed for all four, but rooms were not available! Reception was quick and straightforward - room not immediately available, but we were in no hurry to get to room. Room was very nice, facing onto centre pool. Bed was a bit soft, shower was cramped and took forever for the water temperature to get hot, but otherwise, the room was lovely. We enjoyed a lovely dinner on Sunday evening - it was exceptional, brought to our friend's room. Breakfast in the poolside dining area the following morning was good, but over-priced for simple oatmeal and yogourt, but still the atmosphere was so relaxing. The entire resort is an absolute gem, with the villas being especially amazing!

Room Tip: Dorrington Villas are amazing and well worth the extra charge - full bedroom, kitchen, dining and pa...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We recently had my daughter's wedding at the Palm Springs Viceroy. The staff at the Viceroy was helpful from the moment we first dropped in the year before, unannounced. Olivia and Jessica were a great team. We began with Olivia, but Jessica was our go to person for the event.
From the moment we arrived, two days prior, the staff was amazing. We had a party the night before at our villa, as well as the ceremony and reception at the Viceroy. The food, drinks, service, and staff were great.
We stayed a day after to enjoy the property after the wedding guests departed, with only family remaining and a few friends.
It was such a fun wedding, and I cannot think of one person who did not have a great time.
The restaurant is well located for breakfast or dinner so that your guests can stop by on their way in or out. Coffee and tea service was provided complimentary in the hotel bar every day.
Great place for couples, friends, and pretty good for families, although only one of three pools open to kids.
Beautiful property, and the staff worked well with all our vendors.
Thank you, Viceroy for making this such a memorable event for our family.
Mary G (mother of bride)

Room Tip: We chose the villas in Fountain Court and the rooms overlooking the reception courtyard as we planne...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
portland oregon
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We had a fantastic stay from beginning to end. The valet's that brought us our bikes ( which are very fun) , the front desk staff who were always helpful and went beyond, the grounds are beautiful, Melissa in the spa spent time talking to me, the spa area very cool, the work out room is small but I had no problem getting my work out in, we loved our room and had great pool service as well as Veronica our wait person at dinner. Things that we loved were the sheets on the bed, the grounds, the complimentary coffee and really good tea, the always available water stations, the amazing staff and the very cool bikes. We had friends join us for dinner and to our surprise the hotel had a fantastic guitar player which we all loved. The dinner was perfect. We are coming back! You could tell the management is on site and cares. Loved our stay. M

Room Tip: We booked the breathe special and it exceeded our expectations !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I spend 6 days at the Viceroy Palm Springs. The signage on the front of this hotel is very subtle and if you blink you will miss it. Parking is on the street or valet. We found plenty of parking on the street but the valet was included so that was nice. We were escorted to our rooms and shown around the complex. Our room and bathroom was quite small but cutely decorated. The room we had was definately in need of some TLC but was very comfortable. This complex is very very quiet.

The complex itself is beautiful in the old Holloywood sense. The grounds were very well kept and the fruit trees were wonderful. There were 3 pools but room around each pool was very limited. One night they had a "crooner" playing by the pool who sounded fantastic. If I wasn't completely exhausted I would have gone out to listen. There were free bikes to take out on a marked bike route around the city. My "Audrey Hepburn" bike was so cute. About a 5 minute walk behind the hotel is a trail up the mountain that was absolutely fantastic. It is a challenging climb but what great views!

Be aware of "resort fees"!!!! I booked this hotel through www.perfectescapes.com. At the time, this site didn't mention any resort fees and the website at the time did not mention them either. Surprise!!! I had to pay it anyways and was extremely mad. I contacted the website company and they said that the Viceroy's old website had the resort fees indicated but the new one didn't. Too bad for me, I still had to pay for it. We had received a great rate on this hotel and budgeted accordingly. An extra $200 for the week is a lot. I may not have stayed here if I was made aware of the resort fee. I am glad that we enjoyed this hotel so much that I was willing to overlook the matter a bit. Would I stay again? Maybe....no resort fees....definately!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple