“Great week at the Viceroy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #24 of 70 Hotels in Palm Springs
Edmonton
“Great week at the Viceroy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I spend 6 days at the Viceroy Palm Springs. The signage on the front of this hotel is very subtle and if you blink you will miss it. Parking is on the street or valet. We found plenty of parking on the street but the valet was included so that was nice. We were escorted to our rooms and shown around the complex. Our room and bathroom was quite small but cutely decorated. The room we had was definately in need of some TLC but was very comfortable. This complex is very very quiet.

The complex itself is beautiful in the old Holloywood sense. The grounds were very well kept and the fruit trees were wonderful. There were 3 pools but room around each pool was very limited. One night they had a "crooner" playing by the pool who sounded fantastic. If I wasn't completely exhausted I would have gone out to listen. There were free bikes to take out on a marked bike route around the city. My "Audrey Hepburn" bike was so cute. About a 5 minute walk behind the hotel is a trail up the mountain that was absolutely fantastic. It is a challenging climb but what great views!

Be aware of "resort fees"!!!! I booked this hotel through www.perfectescapes.com. At the time, this site didn't mention any resort fees and the website at the time did not mention them either. Surprise!!! I had to pay it anyways and was extremely mad. I contacted the website company and they said that the Viceroy's old website had the resort fees indicated but the new one didn't. Too bad for me, I still had to pay for it. We had received a great rate on this hotel and budgeted accordingly. An extra $200 for the week is a lot. I may not have stayed here if I was made aware of the resort fee. I am glad that we enjoyed this hotel so much that I was willing to overlook the matter a bit. Would I stay again? Maybe....no resort fees....definately!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The Viceroy offers a true authentic Palm Springs experience within its tastefully refined footprint nestled just behind the main street in downtown Palm Springs. The Viceroy has a modern midcentury décor with a hint of shabby chic which is a nice reminder of the Hotels age and legitimacy. For me the Viceroy is easy to navigate around and experience the different pools, dining areas and other spaces. There are definitely rooms and lounge areas inside and outside that are private but if you want to feel the energy and old school Hollywood glamour then choose a room just off the main pool and dining rooms, you feel like you’re in old Europe, Palm Springs style. There is no specific type of guest either, it’s a mix of people, ages and lifestyles all wanting to share the same Palm Springs experience so that’s nice.

The staff is exceptional. I have stayed at the hotel several times and they truly make you feel like a guest and not just a customer. You can tell from the moment you check in as you are genuinely welcomed to the hotel. At 90% of the other hotels you will stay at the experience starts off with the standard 2 sentences with a blank “Can I help you” followed by a blurt out (as they frantically look down while attacking a keyboard) “I need to see your driver’s license and credit card” and usually before you have even had time pull your wallet out of your pocket…I never forget hotels that treat customers like true guests and the Viceroy is one of those hotels you will remember.

Room Tip: If you want to feel the old Hollywood glam energy at night, choose a room overlooking the main pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I love staying here! I have been many times, and will continue to go back.
It's lux, yet small enough to feel like you are staying at someone's estate.
The location is perfect for walking downtown and grabbing some food and entertainment.

Room Tip: Tip: Splurge on one of the villas, totally worth it! :)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amysvortex
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

So let me start by saying that we had a wonderful time at the Viceroy, that the staff was great, and that the grounds were beautifully maintained.

I appreciate how hard it is to update and keep fresh and older structure that was built for another time, and different expectations.

The good:

-Staff was friendly and genuine. And that is a huge plus as it means that the hotel is managed well and has strong leadership - you can tell.
-3 pools - easy to relax and enjoy either a quite peaceful moment, or more music filled fun - all is the sun and in the pool.
-very family friendly
-great food and drinks

The Needs Work:
-The locations is typical downtown Palm Springs - very dates environment, screams the 50's and 60's and simply feel like a motel by the side of the road as you approach
-The main structures look like an old motel. They have tried their best to update as much as possible, to give it some flair and touches - and those work very well. But still there is work to be done. The facades could be updated in a variety of ways that would give the design more modern looks
-The rooms were also in need of updating. Our bathroom, for example, had dirty calking around the tub and toilet that just looked gross. Small touches needed attention, especially when you are paying $300/night
-Price: It's about expectations - at $300 night I expect more than if I were paying $189. The game needs to be stepped up in the details. For example, it felt like a motel at times with, upon exiting my room, the big maid trolley was left there for a couple hours, vacum cleaners lying around, etc.... It just didn't have that feel of a higher-end place - although the price and marketing messaging led you to believe this.

Overall, I would stay again at half the price if I ever would to return to PS.

One last thing - I was there for a wedding and the event and wedding staff were amazing - wonderful, kind and professional. And - the food was excellent - not easy to make chicken for 120 guests, and mine tasted as if it had been made just for me. Well done chef!

I feel that this hotel has all the necessary ingredients to be much better so kudos to them as it just needs a bit more TLC in the details.

Cheers

Room Tip: Ask for quite room if you do not want to hear guests around the pool
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
S Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights during a family holiday in California. Wanted to go back to Palm Springs having visited it with the wife in April 1993 on our first trip to California and we were sold on the area. Booking.Com offered a the best deal and we got the Viceroy at a really good rate for a family room as not many places in Palm Springs could offer family rooms. As with a lot of Californian hotels you end up being charged a daily resort facility rate for using their pool? Viceroy was about $25 a day plus tax.

It was a pleasant experience and the family enjoyed the stay. The room was small for a family room with limited storage space but it was very clean and the beds (2 x Queens) very comfortable. The day we arrived our room was not ready which was a bit frustrating after a 4 hour drive from Las Vegas but the staff were very apologetic. There are 3 pool areas which are usually full by about 10.00am. You can never be sure whether a sun bed is free or not because the guests just leave their towels on them when they leave. 2 of the pools are designated as adults only but this appeared to be ignored by some families without any apparent complaints? They are small but water nice and warm

We didn't eat in the hotel as there were a number of good restaurants nearby that had been recommended - Chop House and Grind Burger Bar did very good food.

Take a trip in the aerial tramway - fantastic view of Palm Springs and surrounding areas.

The Valet car parking team were very friendly and full of useful advice and tips.

Room Tip: You need to request a pool area room for best option.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Trying to keep this brief... We arrive around 7 or 8 at night, giving car to valet, taken to our room (we reserved two beds, next to pool for the kids to swim as we are able to watch) the room was not near the pool so we are taken to another room, it only had one bed so they say they are going to give us a villa, we didn't really care, but still not by the pool. Ugh. Anyway, as we are there for a cheer competition for my daughter we are now in a hurry, I have to roll all her hair in curlers for the next day, this takes an hour so we order room service, HAIR in the pasta! Nice. Then as we are not eating that, a knock at the door, the valet SIDE-SWIPED my car! Whole side of my new Escalade is damaged and tired is ripped open! They say they will take care of everything but long story short, they hand me an insurance pamphlet and off I'm to go! Wow. So as we are going to bed, checking to make sure everything's looked up- guess what- THERE ARE NO LOCKS on bathroom windows and these are not small bathroom windows, plenty big enough for any person!!! I was so shocked! We were on the ground, not up in a building and surrounded by a neighborhood. And BOTH bathrooms! there was absolutely no locking mechanisms at all! I have 2 small children with me! Next night, no hot water! They send a guy in to fix it and he states while then leaves saying he doesn't know why there's no hot water and have a good night!!! Absolutely no exaggerating here! It was amazing! And our final morning there around 7am our room keys stop working! I actually had to call the manager (who never extended anything to us except a ride to our competition the morning after our car was damaged and actually that wasn't even from the main manager, I never even spoke to the main manager until I called) I was laughing because it was to a comical point with this hotel! And what could I say? That I wouldn't stay there again? They don't care, he didn't care, so I just said (as it's what really matters now-a-days) I'm posting this whole experience on Trip Advisor, let everyone else judge for themselves!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
9 Thank MercedesAndSean
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The service was slow, they messed up our orders couple of times. Rooms are small, but comfortable. Food was average. The gardens are amazing for relaxing. The pools are warm. The location is close to a shopping strip, not as good as being in palm desert.

• Stayed April 2013