“Summer at the Viceroy.”

Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs
Ranked #21 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Viceroy continues to be my favorite place to stay in Palm Springs. The check in is always seamless and it's easy to find the room. This trip I discovered the gym. I'm not one to stay out at the pool for hours so I was happy to find a small gym with a few treadmills and some weight equipment. It was all I needed. The pool areas continue to be quiet and civilized which is what I'm looking for. The Viceroy is better for a couple without kids. It has more of an adult vibe to it. My wife and I just like the overall atmosphere of the place, especially in the night time. The Viceroy is definitely one of the more expensive places to stay in Palm Springs and the regular rooms are not very big but overall we always seem to love the experience there. A five minute walk from the Viceroy is a restaurant called the Falls. Try sitting out on the balcony and order their Oregon Oysters for an appetizer. Delicious.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Avalon Hotel and Bungalows Palm Springs

Reviewed June 21, 2012

For those of us who have stayed at this Viceroy property our standards are not too high. The physical space needs some TLC and the service is always a little mediocre. But you choose to stay there because the facility has some charming spaces and some of the suites are large (although it can't compete with the Parker). We just returned from a three night stay there. Althought the bathroom was remodeled since the early days when the terra cotta tile was painted white, I will never understand why any one chooses to put in a fibreglass shower enclosure instead of doing a nice tiled shower. Got to be the cost. I am attaching a photo of the hallway to our "suite" which shows both filthy carpet and a real lack of care in the maintenance of the place.
My big gripe, howvere, is the fact that we were awakened at 3 in the morning by the sound of a saw and the loud sound was coming directly behind the headboard. We were not sure if the Texas Chain Saw Massacre was happening in the adjacent room or the hotel was falling apart, but it was way too loud to sleep. After about 10 minutes, my husband went downstairs to find a manager. Upon entering the lobby he saw that dry rot repair was being done on the kitchen and our room shared a wall with the wall where the work was being done. The workman on the job told him that the work had been scheduled for that evening and that maybe we could ask for a complimentary breakfast due to the disturbance.
The next morning we received a message on the room phone from a manager informing us that our room would be comped for the "noise disturbance". We spent all day at the property but never once received a verbal apology from anyone.
I received the customary email from the manager asking me to rate our experience and I related our story. The next day my husband received a phone call from a manager apologizing again and offering a complimentary room next time we're in town. So they handled that part just about right although she did tell him the work was an emergency and not pre-scheduled. Still sounds a little sketchy and maybe like some one was trying to do some work without permits.
Still not happy with the way the situation was handled when we were on site. We had two rooms for 3 days and had a pretty decent-size bill at the end of the trip.

Room Tip: Room 402 has a porch light that is left on permanently so your room is never completely dark. We wer...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lorinhayoyo
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

Dear Lorinhayoyo:

I am sincerely disappointed that you and your husband did not have the experience you were expecting. I hope you understand that we would never intentionally disrupt the most basic expectation of our guests which is to thoroughly enjoy their stay.

If we would not have had a water leak earlier that night, we would not have performed the emergency repair.

It is my understanding that our General Manager did speak with your husband, and that the resolution offered was acceptable.

We hope you visit us again, as it is our goal to have all guests have pleasant experiences and memories while visiting the Viceroy Palm Springs.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

What a great hotel located in the heart of Palm Springs. The service was fantastic, food great, cocktails continuous, and the spa heavenly! There are 3 pools to chose from with one being a "family" pool. However, this isn't really a hotel I would take children to. We will definitely go again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

The Viceroy is one of my favorite places on earth. The service is outstanding the rooms are fabulous and the vibe atmosphere of the place is the very best. I will keep coming back to this place again and again!! Everyone is very friendly there without being intrusive or anoying. I was there with the GF and still enjoyed all the eye candy at the pool. Some of the most beautiful ladies frequent this place.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 13, 2012

While the hotel itself was nice we feel like they should catagorize themselves as adults only. Out of 3 pools children are only allowed in one. The "family" pool has no bathroom, is very hot because it is surronded by a wall and is in the far end of the property. Service to this pool is sparce at best. If you want service there is a phone to call. On one of the days we went to the pool first thing in the morning and ordered drinks, at 6:00pm that same day the dirty glasses, towels from the morning were still there along with all the other guests soiled towels and food/drink dishes. There were no towels in the towel rack either. The first room we checked into had a patio enclosed by a cement wall and a loud air conditioning unit. There was no space for the kids to go outside and enjoy the hotel. We asked to be upgraded to a room with some room for the kids to move around outside and were moved to a room around the pool for an additional cost. Unfortunately the patio for this room lead out to one of the adult pools so the kids had to stay on the patio or risk being told by the hotel staff "this is the adult only area" even though this area hosts the only jacuzzi, restaurant and bathroom. Overall the hotels housekeeping in the public areas was bad, dirty dishes everywhere for hours on end before ever being picked up.

On a positive note, the room was nice and the front desk clerk Roxanna?? (I think that is her name) was delightful. Thank you! If you go here to relax and have an adult only stay you will probably be happy.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank J S
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The Viceroy - hands down - is the best place stay in Palm Springs. We've been staying there for a few years now and try and make it out a few times a year. The staff and management and are outstanding, they truly value their guests and do everything to make you feel welcome. The entire property is oozing with charm and the other guests are always fun to hang out with and chat. Looking forward to our next stay. Don Divine, the manager, and Roxy, front desk, were so great to work with I must mention that we look forward to seeing Harrison each time we stay. (:

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 4, 2012

The Viceroy in Palm Springs is absolutely fantastic. They have the best staff I have ever dealt with. The food at the restaurant was outstanding. The villa we booked was incredible. The general manager Don personally took care of everything we needed. It is the only place in Palm Springs I will stay.

Room Tip: The villas are pricey, but absolutely worth it for the long weekend.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple