“The Riviera is 1959 hotel history but 5 star 2010 all the way !!!”

Riviera Palm Springs Resort
Ranked #44 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed March 29, 2010

From the moment we arrived at this circa 1959 hotel that has been redone to the highest of quality, we felt pampered and important. The valet guys were smiling and directed us into the lobby where we were met by Eddie Dezeurn at the front desk. Eddie was professional,charismatic and nothing but charming. It was a bit of a walk to our room but you have to remember this hotel has kept its charm,original design and decor and if you want something different and unique then this is definitely the hotel for you! Our original room was beautiful but a long walk to the pool so we called Eddie and he moved us to an even better room right next to the pool quickly and with no extra charge.The rooms are beautiful,bathrooms spacious and decor 1960s all the way. We spent a lot of time at the pool, it is fabulous. The chairs are plush,the crowd is inviting(we met some amazing people,hi to Kevin,Mary,Raoul and Vianey) and the staff attentive and friendly. Dominic Peterson,Joe,Candace and Courtney treated us like old friends and everyday was full of fun,great food and really yummy drinks. The pool bean bag floaties are a must at just 10$ a day,my cousin even ate her lunch in hers. The dining was impressive. Steven our waiter at Circa 59 was a real sweetheart and the food was 5 star and very large portions. We were quit happy to spend our money in this hotel and only ventured out once to the casino. If you are looking for a different experience in a unique hotel with a fun vibe and terrific people then this is the hotel for you. We are planning our next trip there and we encourage you to give it a try!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank HeyCanada59
Write a ReviewReviews (2,616)

Reviewed March 22, 2010

This past weekend (mar 20-21), I booked a one night stay at the Riviera Resort in Palm Springs through Hotwire. When i arrived at 3:30 pm on Saturday, we were told by management that despite the hotel confirming my reservation on the phone two weeks prior, that they actually had OVERBOOKED ALL of the Hotwire guests. What really made me upset was that they KNEW about the overbooking for the last 24 hours but didn't have the courtesy to even call to let me know that my room was overbooked. They claimed they didn't have my phone number from hotwire. I have never been to the Riviera before and I absolutely have NO REASON EVER to book anything ever again with the Riviera.
I had brought my parents to palm springs expecting a nice getaway in celebration of my first real job, so you can image our surprise when we were told that we'd have to be put up in the far inferior Shilo Inn (2stars) across the street. They (Shilo Inn) didn't even have toiletries and the beeping firealarm kept us up ALL night! I went back to the Riviera and made it clear that this "overbooking" at the Riviera was EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL, and OUTRAGEOUS. In an attempt to rectify the situation, the Riviera comped me 2 nights the future, but I will still be very hesitant about booking with them. I am not willing to drive all the way through the desert just to have my booking "lost" again and go through the whole "I'm so sorry" appeasement speal from management. The worst part is that Hotwire is unwilling to reimburse me the cost of the booking unless i can come up with the "proof" that this happened. I have tried calling the Riviera 5 times and keep getting the run around. I'm sorry I even wanted to come out to palm springs in the first place. For a hotel that prides itself in Luxury and service, how about giving their customers something as simple as common decency: Common decency to call ahead once an mistake's been made in booking, common decency to put up the displaced patron in a hotel of comparable quality (not the nearest 2 star motel) and the common decency to ENSURE that the cost of the botched night is fully reimbursed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank horus83
RivieraPalmSprings, Community Relations Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2010

Please accept my apology on behalf of the Riviera. Third-party reservations has its "pros and cons". Obviously, this is a prime example of the "cons". The more parties involved, the more opportunity for human error. We do hope that you take advantage of the complimentary room nights so that you can experience what the Riviera has to offer.

Reviewed March 22, 2010

It's kind of hard to write a positive review for a hotel when you're there with a group of friends for your "dirty 30 bday party" and they overbook the hotel by 45 rooms. Having people who fly in, move hotels is really tacky. Especially when these rooms weren't just "reserved" they were paid for in advance. If you want to charge the price of a four star, you can't be making those kind of mistakes and offering the Ramada across the street.
The pool was really nice, I liked it a lot. We rented a cabana which was great. Joe who supervises the pool is a fun dude.

Also, the valet guys told us to hit up a spot for kareoke, which was $60 dollars away in a cab. Seriously not cool! $30 into it, I was throwing a fit.

I guess I'm just not used to paying this much for a stay, spending a good amount of money and having these issues. I expect for your staff to be knowledgable, bottom line. Maybe Palm Springs had the repuation of a different kind of customer service, but this girl would rather spend $3000 on a weekend in vegas. We had a group of 15 people, and none of them will go back.

• Stayed: March 2010
1  Thank lskalman

Although you may not have left with the best impression of Palm Springs, the destination does have a lot to offer along with the Riviera. We apologize for the overbooking. If you do decide to return with a group, please call directly to the Riviera and ask for the sales office. Our sales staff takes care of groups with as little as ten rooms to as large as a hotel sell-out.

Reviewed March 19, 2010

We just got back from a 5 day stay at the Riviera and totally enjoyed the experience. I saw a lot of reviews about how poor the service was but nothing could be further from the truth. The staff is friendly and go out of their way to help. I even saw them helping a young girl with her homework! The resort has been redone and is really quite funky. The location is very convenient, close to downtown and the airport. If you are looking for a place to kick back for a few days, this is it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
RivieraPalmSprings, Community Relations Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2010

Thank you for reporting on the excellent service you received during your five night stay at the Riviera! Our staff takes pride in their work and it shows through your review.

Reviewed March 18, 2010

I've been in the travel industry for 17 yrs (Ontario) and came to palm springs before leaving LAX for Fiji - Just because I've never been here before.... I picked the Riviera to stay at because of it's location, good ratings and Spa. I was not disappointed !!
The rooms - I'd call them "retro" and before I came I wasn't sure I'd love the style but I've got to say that everything was very high quality and the bed was the best I've ever slept in.
I loved the rooms.
The pool/area and outdoor restaurant were amazing and I was able to get an evening table right beside a fire. I had 2 treatments at the spa and it was the nicest one I've been to (and sorry Fiji - that includes you)..
While I was here I had a spa/pool day, walked the downtown area which is very close by and took a day to drive up and through Joshua Tree National Park and the Indian Canyons.
I looked at other hotels and areas of Palm Springs - because that's what I do for a living - and I'll be sending people to the Riviera.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo

I love the title of your review, "Perfect Palm Springs hotel"! Being built in 1959, the Riviera is a piece of Palm Springs history. We look forward to your referrals and to your next visit!

Reviewed March 18, 2010

The Riviera Resort in Palm Springs is 5 minutes away by car to downtown, where on Thursday evenings the main road comes a lively street fair. The rooms were clean; the wallpaper on hallways was quite distracting. Spa resort fee is mandatory; if you don't have a computer, internet service is not free. At the exercise room, we saw stacks of postcards offering free 1 hour yoga lessons to hotel guests; however, when we arrived at the lesson, the yoga teacher insisted we pay $10/guest. That was very deceptive; we mentioned to front desk, but no action was taken. Reviews of most Palm Springs lodging has been mixed, so we were pleasantly surprised the Riviera did not live up to prior complaints. We had a problem with closing bill, and it was promptly resolved.

Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends

I am happy to hear that overall your stay went well. I will most certainly look into the post cards with a "free yoga" offer. I am also glad to know that your billing changes were made at the time of check-out. We look forward to your next stay at the Riviera.

Reviewed March 16, 2010

Recently booked a weekend stay at the Riv and found it to be a very sexy fun place. The pool scene is amazing Joe the pool manager goes out of his way to make sure your having great service. The Bikini bar staff is well cute and very good at keeping a cool drink in your hand. All in all an amazing hotel great rooms, great pool, nice vibe. Will be back very soon.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
RivieraPalmSprings, Community Relations Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2010

I have to agree...we have two great pool areas and the staff to go with them. I am glad to hear we have a new "Riviera fan"! We look forward to your next stay.