“Beautiful hotel in great location”

Riviera Palm Springs Resort
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Bend, Oregon
“Beautiful hotel in great location”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I booked this hotel at a discount rate but I would return and pay full price. Mark at check-in took extra time to find a room for us to make sure my dad had an accessible room with two beds for us to share the room. We were not treated differently due to the fact we booked the room through a discount site. The pool area is beautiful and I could spend all day there! Unlike some hotels, this one has excellent food. We really enjoyed the music on Friday night in the lobby bar!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the buildings around the pool- not the back building. If you are there on a weeken...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ellen g

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hotel is a fine place to stay and aside from a very soft uncomfortable bed there were no problems except that the price includes a hidden, additional $28 per night resort fee.

I have to think legislation is going to be passed soon to make this practice illegal. It is certainly unethical.

The first notice I received of this fee was the piece of paper they slipped under my door upon checkout. Not mentioned at checkin, and if it was mentioned when using Hotwire, the notification was too insignificant to attract my notice.

Shame on Riviera and shame on Hotwire.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank David H
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This hotel has potential, but not quite there yet. The rooms are large and comfortable, beds are comfy, and the pool area is nice. It does have an old Palm Springs feel, which is nice. It has a decent gym and the grounds are nice enough. I commend the front desk staff--they are incredibly helpful and customer-service oriented.

My complaints are the resort fee (around $30, which is steep considering the grounds/amenities aren't that great), and supposedly include a paper (which we never got the two days we were there). The bathroom showers look great, but the water pressure is poor and the hot water situation was bad--the showers only get lukewarm, and then go cold after a few minutes. The water pressure is very poor; though that's less of a problem in my opinion. There's also a bit of sewage smell coming up from the pipes, but this is an older property and they probably have some upgrading of the pipes they need to do.

The location is in a quiet neighborhood and is just fine, but if you want to be a walkable distance to downtown it's not ideal. It's not a long walk, probably only about a mile, but not a particularly enjoyable/scenic walk.

All in all it's OK, I don't have major complaints, but I'll probably stay somewhere else next visit (Hyatt downtown is a great location, reasonable price and nice rooms).

4 Thank CritiquerCA
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This was our first trip to Palm Springs and the Riviera was a great introduction. The hotel is a good mix between the classic modernist vibe of the city and the up-to-date amenities we expect from a resort. We were very pleased with our room and the quality of the resort overall. It was convienently placed near downtown and was just a short drive to everything we wanted to see. We really enjoyed it and would look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joe B
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2013

great location, terrific laid back fun vibe, fantastic pool scene, this place has it all. Hotel staff very friendly and helpfull, rooms hollywood glamour decor, spacious and funky, and very sexy lobby bar. We've stayed 3 times and are booked again next week, can't wait !!!!

Room Tip: there are no bad rooms, but pool view always nice...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DL752
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed overnight here, since MLK Day was the next day & I had Monday off, me & the b-f decided to get out of town for a minute.

What can I say? From the moment I drove up, I was totally blown away. The exterior of the place, including the drive-way, is so glam Rat Pack-era! And the lobby is stunning! Seriously, first rate decor, all the way.

The front-desk clerk was so sweet & attentive. Once I gave her our name, she looked us up, then told me that we'd been upgraded to a Pool View Club Suite (we had originally booked a Marquee Suite). So that made me happy from the get-go & the Riviera & their wonderful courteous staff made sure that we stayed that way for the remainder of our visit.

The suite itself was gorgeous! First off, it was spacious & clean (I do a full inspection always, upon arrival, bedbug check, bathroom sweep, the whole nine) & the decor was so hip, I was thrilled! Because I wasn't expecting it to live up to the photos on the website, but it did, & beyond. The suite was located in Bldg. 1, which has been mentioned in other reviews as being noisy, but I guess because of our Sunday night stay, a lot of the weekend partiers had already checked out, because the pool was pretty sedate the entire time we were there.

I didn't even want to leave the room, it was so nice, but I was hungry & wanted to grab a light bite before our couples massage. So we went down to the Sidebar, which has outdoor seating set up right next to the pool area. It was so nice, I loved the cool rattan furniture with the plush cushions. I ordered the Flatbread, which had roasted mushrooms & melted gruyere & parmesan cheeses on top, & a glass of the most delicious sangria. The flatbread was tasty! Another first, I generally loathe hotel food & always think it's overpriced, not so this time. Also, I found the menu pricing to be reasonable.

On to the spa. SpaTerre. Whoever set this place up, needs to come up to LA & make over some of these overrated dumps that charge you thru the nose but are in dire need of spiffing up & actually living up to the sense of luxury they charge you for. The spa was beautiful. Very calming & relaxing. Spacious, first & foremost, & decorated in soothing tones, with Zen music playing in the background. Upon check-in, a girl attendant showed me around the waiting area, plus took me to the women's locker room & instructed me to change into a robe & go back out to the waiting area & wait for my masseuse to come get me. At the same time, a male attendant showed my boyfriend to the guys locker room. The waiting area was spacious, there were a few recessed, private rooms where you could wait, as well as chairs more near the pools/open area. There was also an area for you to help yourself to water & teas either before or after your appointment. Two pools. One was a hot tub-type pool & then there was a pool with a waterfall, I guess more for those who were feeling the need to cool off.

We were scheduled for the couples massage & it was wonderful. I had the male masseuse & my b-f had the female. My masseuse was great! A bit strong at times, but whenever I tensed up, he'd immediately lighten up, w/o me even having to ask. After our massage was over, we just went back in the waiting pool area, & lounged for a bit in the jacuzzi. Excellent!

I didn't use the gym, but I liked what I saw. All the ellipticals & bikes looked modern & new, not crappy old equipment that's the usual fare in most hotel gyms.

For dinner, we went to Circa 59, the hotel restaurant, and again, A+! I wanted to sit outside, even though it was brisk, & they put us right by a fire pit, so it was cozy in spite of the chilly night air! I ordered the Chicken, Twice (actual name of the dish) which was "roasted breast and leg confit, mushroom fricassee, goat cheese dumplings, oven roasted tomato" Very good & the little goat cheese dumplings were the best! This was part of their Prix Fixe menu, where you get 3 courses (salad, entree, & dessert) for $36. Very good! And for the price, you can't beat it!

Oh yeah, & the Sidebar had a cover band playing all types of hits & they were very good. I helped them with a few verses of Rick James's "Give It To Me Baby", LOL!

All in all, I didn't want to leave! SO wishing we had the time to stay an extra night! But, real-life beckoned, back to LA we went the next day.

But I know this, I definitely will be coming back to the Riviera soon, for at least a few days, to really get the full experience of everything this hotel has to offer.

They have a new fan!

Room Tip: If you are a stickler for noise, you may want to avoid Bldg. 1, because the Pool Room Suite we were...
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had never been to Palm Springs before this trip. Our travel agent recommended the Riviera and we're glad we stayed there. The hotel has all the amenities; including Valet, lots of staff to direct you or assist with luggage. First class hotel indeed. The hotel even upgraded us to a junior suit, which was amazing. Would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank ekonshuh