“Perfect ... for young, hip and rich”

Riviera Palm Springs Resort
Ranked #45 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I am not one of those people who thinks much about design, until it smacks me in the face, as it does the second you walk in to the Riviera Resort & Spa. This place didn’t define cool, it invented it – twice actually, effortlessly and before you even woke up this morning. From the second you walk in the lobby, and including every detail you’ll see from there on out, this place just exudes cool, leavened with occasional kitsch, and dripping Hollywood glamour. Palm Springs is, you’ll recall, the location where all the hepcats of the Rat Pack used to spend their decadent desert nights, in some cases, at this very hotel. The décor, then, is a contemporary update on that original cool decadence. The rooms feature bold monochromatic patterns, reminiscent of the 70s, enlivened by splashes of bright color, and plenty of mirrored surfaces. They are a nice size, with absolutely delicious beds, and sleek bathrooms featuring upscale bath products. This attention to the detail extends to the hallways, common spaces and outdoor areas too. The pool area is especially inviting, although since it was November, I didn’t get to actually swim in it. At night, the area has fire pits and comfy chairs where you can hang out, toasting marshmallows if you are so inclined, or more likely, sipping elegant cocktails.

But, while I have plenty good to say about the Riviera, all is not 100% bliss. First of all, the place is gigantic, like a maze, and you’re definitely going to feel like the ugly fat kid when they banish you to the further removed reaches at the back end of the property. These rooms may be every bit as nice as any others on the property, but it is truly a haul to get back to them. You must wander through endless dim hallways, which aren't that well-maintained: littered with room serivce trays that had been sitting around who knows how long, they also didn't look like they had been vacuumed thoroughly or recently. The other thing I would mention is demographics. As in, if you have reached the middle of your age, let’s just say you’re going to feel that acutely here. Not all of the clientele is young and rich, hip and hot, but it certainly helps to be – you’ll feel far more at home. So that’s the primary group the Riviera is hoping to appeal to, and there’s no harm in that. But if you want someplace that’s quiet at night, or family-friendly… Well, go to Best Western. Finally, the hotel’s Circa59 restaurant is not all that: the food was good, but not great, and the service wasn’t even that. While we were the last people on the terrace the night we ate there, that’s not sufficient cause for rushed or forgetful service, and we experienced both.

While at the Riviera, I did not have time to check out any of the hotel’s bars or lounges, or the spa. Nor did I have the chance to shoot some pool on the spectacularly be-dazzled table off the hotel lobby. So, even though I am beyond the target demographic, I consider those several very good reasons to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front of the property.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank supergirl_sf
RivieraPalmSprings, General Manager at Riviera Palm Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2011

Thank you for the detailed review. I would like to address your issues with our restaurant. I am excited to say that since your November visit, we have a new Executive Chef and Restaurant Director who have made a superb team which has translated into a memorable dining experience. We hope to see you as our guest again in the near future. Perhaps next time you will have a chance to stop in to our lounges and spa.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,629)

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I live in Hollywood, CA, and have been heading to the desert quite frequently over the past couple months. I had a special dinner coming up and was combing over cool places to go is Palm Springs and kept hearing good things about the Riviera. I checked the website and fell in love with their restaurant Circa 59. I went during the day to check it out (just in case), and it was great. The resort is very stylish, with photo op nooks everywhere. When I got to the restaurant, I thought I was back in Los Angeles or South Beach, everything was perfect. The place looks even better at night! The staff was great, we wanted to change our seats from inside to outside... no problem. Our waiter (Monty) looked like a model, but had some actual waitperson skills (so not LA). His every suggestion was delish. Tasty drinks, yummy truffle fries as an app, and dinner was very good. Our food came quick, our waiter met our every need, and their manager came over to personally greet us. The Saturday night crowd was big fun, and was a good mix of people. The 5 British models popping bottles of champagne and celebrating a birthday by our table was surreal… If this restaurant was in Los Angeles, you wouldn't be able to get into it... thankfully, it's not. My guest was from Palm Desert, and could not believe he had never been there. Shout-out to Gabriela for making us feel at home. A MUST!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Harris_of_Hollywood

Thank you for acknowledging our staff as they work diligently to provide top-notch service. Your guest is not the only local who is surprised when they visit the Riviera and Circa 59, especially those who reside on the eastern-side of the valley. For future reference, if you are ever in need of a venue for a dinner party, our private dining room accommodates up to 20 guests. We hope to see you again during your next trip to Palm Springs!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Riviera Hotel in August of 2010. The rooms are very nicely decorated and updated. The pool was one of the best we have been in in Palm Springs. Very helpful and courteous staff. We will be back very soon.

Room Tip: Try to get a room near the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends

It is great to know that you will be back soon! Thank you for complimenting our rooms, pool and our staff. Please feel free to contact the resort if we can assist in planning your next visit.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Spent my birthday at the hotel and had a great time. We somehow got upgraded to a suite for my birthday, so I was lucky! The rooms are clean and cool decor! The hall ways and stairwells are old, but who cares. The pool area is amazing! It has fire pits and a bar, and it's great! If you're looking for a nice getaway, this place is worth it! Gave it a 4 because as a guest we have to pay an additional $25 resort fee, and I think that's bogus. Also, my boyfriend tried to set up flowers in my room to surprise me for my bday--and they don't offer that. So he had to call around to a florist in PS and figure it out the hard way...

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

We appreciate being named the best in Palm Springs! In response to the resort fee, it does cover several amenities that would normally be charged separately. Resort fees are common to the comparable hotels in this area. Thank you for bringing the floral request to our attention. Our Concierge would be able to assist in ordering flowers through a local florist. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We look forward to next stay.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel is always such a great experience for us. We have been here a handful of times, and we are now officially spoiled. The deals offered in the off season are well worth being on the lookout for and when you are there (since you got a great deal) it would be silly not to at least rent some chairs or a float. Revonda (the bar manager for the pool area) is generous, appreciative, kind and patient. She will make your outdoor pool experience well worth it and will make renting a cabana make you instantly feel VIP.

We had one problem with the sink our room and not only did they fix the sink within 10 minutes of the call, they had a staffer call us to make sure it was fixed to our liking. A girl could get used to this!

The only down side is the pool is heated. When it's 110 degrees out, you kind of want the icy cold pool water into which you can jump. However, I'm pretty certain I am the only person that feels this way. And, when it's cooler at night, you can still go for a dip without freezing. I'm obviously conflicted on this point :).

When in Palm Springs, if you want a MINI Vegas experience (with a ton of extra pampering) that is still kid/family friendly, come to The Riviera. You won't be sorry that you did.

Room Tip: I got my deal with Groupon!
1  Thank Kateness32655

It brings great satisfaction to know that you feel spoiled by the Riviera. Thank you for acknowledging our staff and raving about our resort amenities. It will be our pleasure to make your next Palm Springs trip amazing!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We'll definitely come back. A little pricey but worth it if you want to treat yourself. The food is amazing at Circa and at the hotel in general. Mushroom, Onion crusted Barramundi, truffle frieds, the Huevos Rancharos, fish taco's by the pool. Great bar, spent all day in the pool.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Our Executive Chef will be happy to hear guests are enjoying his dishes. Thank you for choosing the resort. Pick up a Riv Weekly from the front desk on your next visit. It lists all of the happy hours and special prixe fixe dining options as well as specials from all of our outlets including the spa and boutique. We hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I am a repeat visitor of the PS Riviera. I have never been disappointed & don't expect to be. The warm welcome & genuinely friendly atmosphere really just opens the doors to paradise. Thank you all at PS Riviera! See you soon!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for thanking us! It is great to hear from our return guests. We thoroughly appreciate your confidence. I have a feeling we will see you again soon!