“Under New Management, Big Disappointment.”

Best Western Inn at Palm Springs
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I reviewed this hotel during my first stay back in February, but apparently things have changed at this once "spectacular" hotel.

This time I attended with my boyfriend for our anniversary, after enjoying this property with my younger sister. It was quiet, out of the way and a great place to relax.

We arrived for our 7 night stay on Monday, and saw our worst nightmare plastered on the front door... "Pool closed until December 16th". That was the day we arrived. We were disappointed, but reassured by the front desk attendant that it would be open that evening. So we wondered up to our room (clean and nice as it was previously). We walked around town in the afternoon, anxiously awaiting our evening trip to the hot tub, that never opened that night. Nor did the pool open AT ALL the following day (tuesday). So we complained to the useless front desk man, who really didn't say a word to us. However, after a conversation with another upset couple in the lobby, we found out that this hotel is under new management as of September 2013... No wonder we were receiving poor service!

I demanded to speak to the manager, of whom nobody knew when he would be in... So finally, I complained enough that the manager personally called me in our room that evening. I was very upset, as we came to this property to relax by the pool. He was adamant that we stay or MOVE 15 miles down the highway to Palm Desert (WE CAME TO BE IN PALM SPRINGS!), and apparently had "no relationship" with the best western in town (Palm Springs). I was upset, in tears and agreed to see the pool the next morning that was supposed to be open.

The next morning we went down to the pool, still under construction, noisy (cutting tiles), yelling construction workers, smoking, and being disrespectful. The pool was not warm, not even clean or on until the following day (Thursday), and the hot tub was dirty until Thursday as well. The pool deck was muddy, and the whole situation was just bad.

We were given some money toward dinners, but this in no way replaced the relaxing pool atmosphere we had travelled to enjoy. In fact, when we left on the following Monday, the 23rd, the pool was still under construction.

A few more things to mention...
- We got less and less towels in our room through out the week. Only got pool towels once.
- The cleaning ladies blared their music when cleaning adjacent rooms in the morning, early and unexpected wake up call
- There is now a giant tip jar in the breakfast area (tack, considering I tip for good service, and that should not be an expectation)
- Front desk guy should learn some customer service skills or be fired
- Customers should be called when the pool will be closed during their stay so that alternate arrangements can be made

I will not stay at this Best Western again (such a shame), but rather stay at the one in downtown Palm Springs, that has a pool bar and a much better management service.

2  Thank LizzieG19
There are newer reviews for Best Western Inn at Palm Springs

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I've never seen such contrasts of reviews; apparently, people either like or hate this place. We liked it, and stayed two nights in Room 209 which had two queen beds. The room was quite clean and modern with a large bathroom with nice granite counter tops. Sink fixtures were modern which were brushed nickel. I suspect this bathroom (and perhaps the entire room) was remodeled recently. Bed was definitely comfortable. Shower head was powerful with a nicely adjustable temperature control. Although the HVAC isn't central, there's a touch pad control on the wall which worked very well. The HVAC room unit was quiet and efficient. The room had a 46" (just a guess on the size) flat screen HD TV with Direct TV. Picture quality was good. We watched it very little, so I can't tell you much about the channel selection; but it definitely got all the local channels and PBS.

Some of the things I really liked about the room. Sunny. Good lighting. Lots of conveniently located plugs to charge your rechargeable toys. The free internet worked very well, and was pretty fast. Room had a microwave and a small refrigerator. We dined out a couple nights and brought back some of the food. It was nice to be able to store it, and then heat it up the next day. We'd brought our own soft drinks and bottled water, so we could keep those cold. There's no real view from this particular room.

The included breakfast was definitely better than average for a motel of this caliber. The breakfast was in a very pleasant location which had either radiant heaters nearby or a gas fireplace (this is being written in mid-December), and it's adjacent to the pool. Wall Street Journals are provided there for free. There's a person making very good waffles, and you can have a variety of juices, coffees, cereals, milk, toast, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, and yogurt; stuff like that.

We were fortunate enough to be there the day the remodeled pool opened. The large, surrounding area by the pool had all the tile replaced, and it looks great. Although we didn't use the pool, there are a lot of chaise lounges available for this large pool and pool area.

We'll definitely be back.

Dan Kap,
Whittier, CA

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 209 which was very nice, a short walk to the pool and breakfast.
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Great quite rooms. A little older hotel but still very nice. The people were great, and very helpful. Close to the village (Palm Springs Downtown Area) Great restaurants close by. And a very quite area of town. A great place for the value!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stay at many Best Western motels in the USA and as a Rewards member, enjoy the perks and conveniences. This property is the poorest value of any I have stayed. Choose another motel in Palm Springs. There is a much nicer but more expensive BW Plus up the road. Maybe just a bad room but not then here I am writing about this stay. Room was cold, poorly decorated, rotten door in bathroom, poor hot water supply and just felt tacky. Left around midnight. Couldn't get comfortable. The Night clerk then had to remind me that my original Mastercard had been declined when a replacement card was furnished at check-in? WHY? Enjoy if this is what you like.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We moved to this hotel, which is located a mile or two from the centre of Palm Springs, because it was Thanksgiving and the hotels in the centre of town were heavily booked. The price was competitive for the dates we were there, and check-in was carried out efficiently by the pleasant receptionist. The room was spacious if rather sombre. It had everything that we needed although some things were a little worn -for example, the room safe was not securely fixed to the wall and if the room had been broken into it would have been easy for the thieves to run off with the whole thing. The bed was comfortable but there was some noise from vehicles entering and leaving the car park. I have to say that should I want a Best Western in Palm Springs, I would chose the Las Brisas in preference to the Inn at Palm Springs because the location, breakfast and rooms are better there.

1  Thank V3971RTjohn
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

This was the worst experience we have had at a Best Western. I want to start by saying I have stayed at many best westerns in 3 states, and this was by far the worst. The bathroom was dirty, had a light fixture that I can only assume it was missing a plastic cover because it exposed and old rusty pipe, it also hadn't been cleaned in a long time if ever. Also the walls were so thin you could hear the TV from all rooms around you, even the ones that werent next door. The floor above was so noisy that even my 2 year old couldn't sleep. The worst night we have had at any hotel, so if you don't want to get any sleep, this is the place.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank tury001
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I recently stayed with Best Western when I was moving back from South Korea on my way to Phoenix, AZ with pets in tow. I was surprised at how comfortable and up-to-date this hotel was. Front Desk staff was super friendly and room was very clean and comfortable. I would definitely use them again.

Room Tip: at the base of the mountain side. take a walk around the complex. it was my first experience with...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business