“GREAT place! We had a blast!”

Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ranked #18 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed November 23, 2009

My three friends and I chose this place because it just looked cool and, man! - we were not disappointed. It's a striking looking place that seems both vintage and modern all at once with pristine white buildings, manicured grounds and adorable fireplace seating areas all around. We selected the Kings lounge room because it would accomodate us all, which it did well, although it's a good thing that we are good friends because it does feel small with four adults in it! Beautiful room, though and the bed was VERY comfy! If I had one complaint, it was the lack of storage space - there is no dresser (there is a trunk that, I guess, can be used) or much in the way of shelf space, so our bags were all over the floor. Not a huge deal, though since we really weren't in the room much. There is a bit of a noise issue, though, if you are downstairs! We think there were kids above us and, apparently, the parents didn't mind them running across the floor! This is a obviously a party place, too, and on Saturday night we were blasted awake by some crazy loud music at 3AM! I wasn't sure if it was coming from a guest room or from the Commune. I was too tired to call and complain, but it was annoying and the one bad point of an otherwise pleasant stay. Oh, that and the fact that the maids threw out the full water bottles that we left on the desk! Minor stuff, really but still... it was a bummer to come back from a walk and find our water gone!
There are two pools, but the main pool is the place to be. A DJ was spinning on Saturday and Sunday (the one on Saturday 11/21 was WAY better!) and the bar serves up adult snow cones, that we could not wait to try after the desk clerk filled us in. Too bad they were out of coconut, since he assured us those were the best! The other flavors were delicious, though. I only saw on server working the pool area, so if you expect hands-on service, you might be disappointed. It was not a problem for us, really, since it was not crowded and we easily got her when we needed her.
I just have to say, in response to the reviews about the bad service at the ACE, that we had some of the best, friendliest service I have ever gotten at a hotel! The front desk staff was warm, welcoming and helpful, as were the pool bartenders and servers. We recieved smiles and hellos from every staff member we encountered and our request to fix a faulty toilet was met immediately. And the Happy Birthday bottle of wine delivered to our rooom while we were out was a nice touch, too! My only complaint was the seeming lack of control over the noise level after 3AM! I'm not sure what was going on, but it seemed that it should have been reined in earlier than it was. Other than that, everything was AWESOME! There is a hipster cool vibe here, but it's still laid back and friendly enough for a foursome of 30-40 somethings as well as famlies with kids to feel comfortable and welcome. Oh - and it's dog friendly place! I loved that and wish I would ahve brought my dog! Check the ACE out! You'll love it!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank eskeeemo

Reviewed November 5, 2009

This place is so relaxed friendly and chilled out, that you will have a wonderful time, whether it be lounging by one of the 2 great pools reading a book, or having a cocktail on the stars viewing deck, or chatting with Friends around one of the many communal firepits - there is something that everyone seeking relaxation can do. The management team and staff are friendly and helpful, and listening to Linda give one of her accapella impromptu sing-a-longs in the restaurant is a real treat. Food is varied and delicious, as are the drinks. If you are looking for a fun get away with friends, loved ones or even your dog (it is dog friendly and they even have a small dog park!) then this place is for you!

Reviewed November 2, 2009

I've been vacationing in Palm Springs since I was a kid. This hotel is an exceptional new addition to the vacationing experience in Palm Springs. Unlike most PS hotels, ACE is youthful, cozy, and uniquely catering to your comfort in all areas. You don't feel like a guest in someone's home where hotel regulations (originally set to ensure your hotel experience) end up a hindrance to your actual experience. This hotel gives its guests the freedom to vacation the way he/she would desire.

I found during my stay, ACE was so thoughtful in the details as a hotel, that as a result guests feel comfortable in their individual relaxation and in turn, create a communal relaxing feel.

Rooms are cozy, clever, creative, more than functional, with easy, quick access to parking.

The poolside experience included perfect pool temperature, an area big enough to accommodate all guests comfortably - able to mix families with small children and young singles just wanting to relax. Good food, friendly service, non-intrusive, individual adjustable sun-visors per chair with classic feel-good music playing throughout to continually ensure the tone.

I'm excited ACE has landed in Palm Springs. It is a true gem and will be my only hotel choice while in Palm Springs.

Reviewed November 2, 2009

My friends and I had a truely "ace" expericence at this hip, bohemian and uber relaxing hote. The hotel's ambiance and neighborhood / communal like feel of the hotel is so unique and made for such a one of a kind experience. You can bet that we will be coming to the hotel at least once a month if possible! :)

Reviewed October 31, 2009

We found this place online and made the booking. We found this to be the best trip we had in years!!! The staff was super friendly and super helpful to all of our needs. The pool was simply delightful. I could order the most killer bloody mary's I have had in a long time and relax in the sun all day long. The fact that the place is family and dog friendly even made it better! Next time down (oh yes, there will be a next time) we will bring the kid and the dog. The massages we got were decadent and delightful. i haven't been this relaxed in years and years. In short, GO TO THE ACE HOTEL!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Avoid this place. Rude and ridiculous service. Faulty Amenities with no apology. Front Desk personnel and Managers are extremely rude. Noisy with private parties making noise until late. Overpriced and pretentious. Never EVER returning.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lepeche
Reviewed October 17, 2009

The following is a letter I sent to Ace Hotel's General Manager about my stay.
Jason Dibler:

My best friend and I checked into the Ace Hotel on October 9th for the weekend. We had booked two deluxe fireplace rooms. We arrived at 3 pm and there were two, very frazzled desk clerks. There were three people in front of us, and three behind us. Check-in took over 20 minutes. I had my credit card, i.d., ready to go, so we would just get our room keys and go, not so fast. The clerk went over to retrieve papers pertaining to us, and that took another 10 minutes for her to find them. I had no idea what the papers said, and just signed. She just gave us our room keys, and said, "have a nice weekend, " and I politely asked where our room was located, she huffed, and then pointed, back there. Lovely.

Made our way to our rooms, 207 & 209. Rooms very lovely. However, I heard noise from the room above mine. Shrugging it off, we ventured out to the pool. We found a table by the pool, and waited for a server, and waited. It wasn't that crowded as it was Friday afternoon. We asked several servers if they could help us, they seemed much more interested in talking amongst themselves at the bar. We ventured inside to the Amigo Bar, and finally got some service. We then took our drinks back outside to the table we had just left, finished our drinks, and again waited for service. We decided to retreat to our rooms, take a nap, and have room service for dinner.

I don't think guests come to the Ace Hotel to sleep. The minute my head hit the pillow for my afternoon nap, the people above me began moving around their room, which normally shouldn't be a problem, but since the floors of the room are concrete, I could hear every step they took, when their door opened & closed. Fun.

Room service was great, food yummy. We really enjoyed sitting out on the patio with the fireplace on. Bedtime came, and the same problems I had in the afternoon were back, but now even worse. I called the front desk to see if I could be moved, alas the hotel was sold out. I finally got to sleep, but as soon as the sun came up, light was streaming in the room. The window coverings do nothing to keep the sun out. Our room service tray from the previous night hadn't been removed, and now there were ants everywhere. I called room service, and they told me they were busy and would try and pick it up sometime within "the next two hours." I called the front desk 45 minutes alter, and finally the tray was removed. I was beginning to notice the absolute disregard for service, and the very blase approach that was taken towards guests.

We did some shopping, came back to go hang by the pool at 2 pm. Unable to find chairs at the main pool, we made our way to the other pool, for hotel guests only. The joke was on us. That pool was closed for a wedding set-up, but the wedding didn't begin until the evening, I don't understand why the second pool was closed when your main pool is open to the PUBLIC (yes, I know it's for a fee). We finally found a table, sat down, and again, we were ignored. Had to flag down at least three people to help us, and even then, they told us, not their table, someone would help us. Unacceptable. A server finally emerged, without an apology and didn't care that we were parched. We sat back and listened as a British employee led guests in games. The British man had a microphone, and he made one of the most racially insensitive comments I have ever heard. He was probably trying to be funny, but believe me, that was the farthest thing from my mind. I was completely mortified and so was my best friend.

We went back to our respective rooms, and again, tried to sleep. This time the problem wasn't the noise above me, but from the BLARING
music coming from the pool area. I had my doors closed, I turned on the a/c to drown out the noise, but was now freezing. That was my breaking point. We decided to check-out. I couldn't endure another night of this.

We were charged half day rate for our rooms, and for the bargain price of $752.00, we got no sleep, no service, no relaxation. I wanted to treat my best friend that is going through some difficult times, a reprieve from her life, make her forget her woes. Oh she did, and so did I, but we were sadly faced with a set of circumstances that we couldn't anticipate. For that, the Ace Hotel will hold absolute disappointment and I would NEVER recommend your property to anyone seeking rest, relaxation, good time, or service.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends