“A place of LA's beautiful people to come and play”

Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ranked #15 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Brighton
“A place of LA's beautiful people to come and play”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

In August the activities are based around the Swimming Pool. Posers with dogs and Hotel Babylon in the DeserT.

Rooms recently been re-modelled and are very nice indeed if not a tad too small for 4 people and respective luggage.

Its the Pool area that comes alive with 24 hour swimming a nd plenty of smiles and happiness.

Billed additional $20 per day for something which I did not fully understand. I figure if you are a guest in the hotel then all such costs should be included in the initial price. I guess they were Extras Hunting!

Very trendy

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 5, 2009

You know the service leaves much to be desired if in the short time since they've opened, they've already undergone a shift in management. I've had TWO horrific experiences with the hotel. The first was over 4th of July weekend. I booked a spa treatment for me and 2 friends. No one told us there was a party at the hotel and that there were not enough spa rooms available. When we got there, they put us in a room right next to the pool party. It was so loud and bright during the massage and when I spoke to the spa manager she was hostile about the situation saying, "it's 4th of July. What did you expect?"

Against my better judgement, I was going to put this hotel on my list of places to stay for my Palm Springs wedding. I spoke to someone on Friday who created a deal for me. Said she needed approval but would call me back by day's end. Monday rolls around, no call. So I call again. No record of my conversation, I'm put through to the "manager" who assures me she'll call me back the same day. Not only did she not call me back, she WENT ON VACATION for 2 days. I called back to speak to another manager. They put me on hold for 10 minutes, then hung up on me. I called back, finally, after all of this, they weren't able to come up with the package that they initially promised. This place is an overpriced mock up of a chic hotel. Avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank ahj7
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I absolutely LOVE this hotel. I bring my dogs, and they have a blast in the patio rooms. Great food- with a great price. The rooms are cheap for a boutique hotel. The interior design is A+. Everything about this place has been thought out- and it really shows. My boyfriend and I are going to be married here next summer.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank theideabeast
Redwood City, California
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed at the ACE as a guest this past weekend as it was the overflow hotel for a large event which I attended. The front desk staff were fun and quite attentive and friendly.I was shown where my room was on a map and was also asked if I needed the bell hop to take my bags to the room which I declined as I travel light. It was extremely hot this past weekend so anything outdoors was really not that pleasant. I found my room to be just as the pictures show on here and def found the decor to be very different but fun at the same time. The mini bar is fully stocked with everything imaginable but the prices are excessive on most of the items so I did not even drink the bottled water.Liked the cotton robes with the stripes...nice difference from the usual terry cloth drab ones you find in hotels. The bath room was VERY small and the door barely closed past the toilet. The bath gel/ soap in the shower was finished after the first night that was I was there and was never refilled (this hotel does not provide soap, shampoo, conditioner etc in the small containers that you can take home.Rather they are in large containers bolted to the wall) Not a bad idea in these economic times. The Air con worked well and kept the room nice and cold. The bed was uber comfortable and I liked the iPOD sound system and flat screen tv. The pool facilities looked great , each lounger had its own sunscreen which is nice if you need the shade.Did not use the spa or gym so cannot comment on that. I would def return to this fun hotel and hopefully be able to check out the scene on the Sundays when they have the live DJ at the pool. Def for people who like to have fun, are chill , into modern alternative art and design and who are not stuffy. The staff here are fun and also helpful. Hope to return when it is cooler and take advantange of the private fire place outside my room. Could be real cozy in winter.

• Stayed July 2009
Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I just can't figure this place out. Part of me really enjoys it and part of me gets frustrated every time I'm there. There is ALWAYS something that goes wrong. Not terrible stuff, But I had to change rooms 3 times upon arrival (first was wrong room, then safe didn't work). It's a really neat atmosphere and the staff are generally very helpful. Don't try calling though. You'll almost always be put on hold and probably not re-answered.

The rooms are unique. Very neat actually. One review called it ikea, but I wouldn't agree at all. The towels (Turkish Towel Company) are awesome. The shampoo brand is great. Overall I like the place.

I think the hotel needs to cool it with the "Warnings" on everything. No outside food or drink at the pool? Really? Get over it. Let people bring their stuff. Otherwise, you're just gonna p*ss them off and they won't return. They have large offensive signs telling you to leave it or get out. I'm sorry. I'm bringing my coffee to the pool in the morning and won't feel a bit guilty about it. If I'm asked to leave over a coffee? Then it'll be the last time I stay. Period.

OH very nice gym for a hotel.

Also watch out for the "Resort Fee" it's an extra $20/day they don't tell you about and it's in the "Fine Print" upon check in. Apparently it's for "extras", like parking, wi-fi, pool. You know, all the stuff hampton inn has. But hampton inn doesn't seem to need to charge for it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank trilobite01
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This hotel is the best I have seen in a while in Palm Springs-- It is a lively crowd looking to have fun in the desert. The very hip staff here works very hard to please guests-- the drinks are excellent, hotel food is superb for Palm Springs and guest look like they are having the time of their lives.

What is most special about this hotel is that it recaptures the vitality of Palm Springs of the 1950's-- its shows the desert can be a place of exciting and sophistication-- even at 115 degrees in the summer. Its your 1950's post card of palm springs come to life.

Much Kudos for management of this hotel-- you hired and great staff and created a great ambiance not seen else where in Palm Springs-- even at higher price points.

Now if you could just get JOHN the Concierge from the Holiday Inn ( formerly from the Parker), you could have the Ultimate desert hideaway.

Can wait to book my next trip!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
Reviewed July 21, 2009

This was my 2nd stay at the Ace Hotel, I also stayed in May and had a great time and wanted to go back. The one complaint I have with this particular stay is being that it was 120 degrees outside we decided to hang byu the pool all day. But the pool was at least 90 degrees itself, which was not refreshing at all! It felt like bathwater. They are going to need to figure out a way to keep the water cold, because this was a definite disappointment and I will not be staying there again in the summer (the pool felt great back in May when it was only 85 out!) Other than that, the hotel is really cool & different, has an old Vegas vibe about it. The staff was great.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends