“fun kitchy place”

Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles, California
“fun kitchy place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Ace Hotel. Some friends and I got a couple of rooms for one night. The pol was excellent and the service was great. Inexpensive drinks and food at the pool. Two pools, both worth checking out.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
San Jose CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

Okay this your off the beaten path brilliantly redesigned hip hotel that focuses on tons of great stuff. The big draw is the pool, with boozy snow cones and the old cruiser bikes you can pick up and take anywhere ( except home).
It is not for stuffy old farts, as it is highly progressive with alot of wonderful gay men running and lounging about the pool area. Don't let this sway you, fantastic service and wonderful food/ beverages to be had by all. If you are ready to let your hair down, Mary..this is your spot!

Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
adiefire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

The best part about this hotel is the people. The crowd is young and hip and ready to get down and party, which is great. The food is really good and the staff is friendly, and laid back. Although the food came out of what looked like a diner, it was actually more gourmet style and reasonably priced. The pool in the Commons area is surely the hot action pool. The first night we were there we saw people skinny dipping. Although I'm sure its not officially condoned by the establishment, it was fun anyway. If you are looking for a chill party vibe, this is a cool place to stay. If you are looking for luxury, this is not your place. There wasn't a bell hop, valet or concierge. We had to carry our luggage up to the second floor of the hotel to get to our room. But it was worth it. The bed was really comfortable and there was classical music playing on the radio when we got in. There was also a couple of issues of National Geographic from the 70s. It was like being in a college dorm room from the 70s, very different from your average hotel, but a welcome change nonetheless. Oh, and the bar in the room is less like a mini bar and more like an actual bar. The prices are not super outrageous either. Overall, it was a fun and relaxing experience. If you are thinking about booking a room with an outdoor patio included, just note that the top is partially open and people can see into it from the second level of the hotel. We were happy with our standard king room. As far as the bar in the hotel, the Amigo Room, the specialty drinks were a bit unusual but again, it was fun to try something that other hotels don't do.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
san diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

He had our 43rd Birthday part and my brothers 40th at the ACE. The organization was excellent. We had a contract in a day and all the plans made within a week. This is the kind of party i like. Just walk in and enjoy! Food was amazing and served family style. Cocktails were equally as good and unique. Victorio was our main man and he was always there to help. This place is for young and old. We were up all night and had a grand time. This is a fun hotel. If all you want to do is sleep, i would find a different hotel

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

The staff was very friendly, however my room was not ready on time. I went to the front desk multiple times only to be sent away because the room had not been cleaned yet. When I finally checked in around 8pm I find my room without any food or beverages. The next day I ordered extra towels. 20 minutes later I call to check on the status of the delivery. The front desk person laughs and says, "Oh, your room was 240 right, we sent it to 420 by accident, but I'll come and deliver them in a second." Overall the design of the hotel was relaxing and nice, but I can't say that I would ever stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009
1 Thank Smashley22
los angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

We just hosted an event at the Ace. The hotel grounds are nice and the staff that attended to us were very accomodating. However, the dealings with the sales dept other management has been atrocious. We are still in the midst of disputing the billing that is so ridiculous that our credit card agent was even laughing. After spending a decent amount of money with our large group of 28 rooms, you'd think they'd be appreciative and at least honest.

I wouldn't touch this place with ten foot pole because I'd be worried what type of grift I was being set up on. I want to trust that our host bills me correctly...and not have to go through my bill with an accountant and attorney...

• Stayed June 2009
2 Thank zoeycho
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

This hotel was a total disappointment for us. It's so sad because I really wanted to like the Ace...based on all the great reviews I was expecting a cool place with a unique and unconventional slant.

It has a kitsch vibe that makes it different, but sadly the second we got there we just knew it wasn't for us. First impressions... it's nothing more than a remodeled motel that still feels like a motel.... I was very underwhelmed. My first thought was,"Do I really want to relax in a motel for 72 hours?". It's parking lot was sitting right in front of the diner/check in desk like you would generally find with a motel. To me it was so cheap I saw it as an overnight resting place but not a destination spot. The entire property had a very bleak look to it and was situated right off a busy road. The Ace tried to camouflaged its motel vibe by strategically using yards of raw canvas, Ikea furniture, and a some tongue in cheek corkiness, but I don't know ...I just wasn't buying it. There was no real effort to differentiate the property from the typical motel setup. I suppose some people are more open minded and can appreciate the plain appearance, but at the end of the day it was too vanilla for us ... bleh.

The pool wasn't much better... boring and drab with sad looking apartment style lounge chairs. They had no cushions and were made from those uncomfortable plastic straps that let your butt fall through the gaps. A large portion of the crowd was made up of the "anti-hipster kids"...guess I didn't get the Urban Outfitters convention memo... yawn...I'm already bored. Not into overpriced cheapness so...no...not into this hotel/motel.

I knew If we stayed the experience would really suck for us. I guess my age is showing, but I can't pretend that sub-par is fine with me any more. I don't want to have to "make the best of" a weekend...pretend like it's cool. We ended up getting a room at the Riviera Resort & Spa, which was a whole different story in itself , yet still more enjoyable and cheaper with a way better pool and a more diverse crowd.

One thing I must compliment the Ace for is their restaurant. We did have lunch there and I must say, it was very good and sadly the only positive for me. All the employees were really nice and the food was exceptionally good at a reasonable price. We even came back the next day to have dinner. If you're looking for inexpensive basic good food this place is perfect, but if you're looking to wear your fancy pants go somewhere else. We just wanted a low key dinner after along day in the sun.

Keep in mind that my review is limited since I didn't stay there, but I think the Ace is targeting a niche customer that is willing to embrace and overpay for that kitsch 70's vibe because that's what resonates with them and their style, but for me it's not that interesting. If you're looking to stay at a hotel it may seem sort of cheap and bland to you. If you like that L.A. anti-hipster scene and going with a bigger group you will probably like it.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple