“sales and management staff are unsavory”

Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ranked #18 of 75 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We just hosted an event at the Ace. The hotel grounds are nice and the staff that attended to us were very accomodating. However, the dealings with the sales dept other management has been atrocious. We are still in the midst of disputing the billing that is so ridiculous that our credit card agent was even laughing. After spending a decent amount of money with our large group of 28 rooms, you'd think they'd be appreciative and at least honest.

I wouldn't touch this place with ten foot pole because I'd be worried what type of grift I was being set up on. I want to trust that our host bills me correctly...and not have to go through my bill with an accountant and attorney...

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank zoeycho

Reviewed July 6, 2009

This hotel was a total disappointment for us. It's so sad because I really wanted to like the Ace...based on all the great reviews I was expecting a cool place with a unique and unconventional slant.

It has a kitsch vibe that makes it different, but sadly the second we got there we just knew it wasn't for us. First impressions... it's nothing more than a remodeled motel that still feels like a motel.... I was very underwhelmed. My first thought was,"Do I really want to relax in a motel for 72 hours?". It's parking lot was sitting right in front of the diner/check in desk like you would generally find with a motel. To me it was so cheap I saw it as an overnight resting place but not a destination spot. The entire property had a very bleak look to it and was situated right off a busy road. The Ace tried to camouflaged its motel vibe by strategically using yards of raw canvas, Ikea furniture, and a some tongue in cheek corkiness, but I don't know ...I just wasn't buying it. There was no real effort to differentiate the property from the typical motel setup. I suppose some people are more open minded and can appreciate the plain appearance, but at the end of the day it was too vanilla for us ... bleh.

The pool wasn't much better... boring and drab with sad looking apartment style lounge chairs. They had no cushions and were made from those uncomfortable plastic straps that let your butt fall through the gaps. A large portion of the crowd was made up of the "anti-hipster kids"...guess I didn't get the Urban Outfitters convention memo... yawn...I'm already bored. Not into overpriced cheapness so...no...not into this hotel/motel.

I knew If we stayed the experience would really suck for us. I guess my age is showing, but I can't pretend that sub-par is fine with me any more. I don't want to have to "make the best of" a weekend...pretend like it's cool. We ended up getting a room at the Riviera Resort & Spa, which was a whole different story in itself , yet still more enjoyable and cheaper with a way better pool and a more diverse crowd.

One thing I must compliment the Ace for is their restaurant. We did have lunch there and I must say, it was very good and sadly the only positive for me. All the employees were really nice and the food was exceptionally good at a reasonable price. We even came back the next day to have dinner. If you're looking for inexpensive basic good food this place is perfect, but if you're looking to wear your fancy pants go somewhere else. We just wanted a low key dinner after along day in the sun.

Keep in mind that my review is limited since I didn't stay there, but I think the Ace is targeting a niche customer that is willing to embrace and overpay for that kitsch 70's vibe because that's what resonates with them and their style, but for me it's not that interesting. If you're looking to stay at a hotel it may seem sort of cheap and bland to you. If you like that L.A. anti-hipster scene and going with a bigger group you will probably like it.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DEENGHAUS
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My fiance and I stayed here at the end of March for 4 days.
We thought the room was very cool and the pool was fantastic. Very clean and chilled with some great music.
The food in the diner was good and the service was always friendly, if sometimes a little slow. We were disappointed to find no snow cones on sale while we were there (during the week so less busy) but I'll let that go.
We especially enjoyed the free bikes they hire our to guests and going to Joshua Tree (45 minutes drive).

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2009

This hotel is really one of the Hippest Palm Springs hotels right now. We just love it here. We hosted a large Birthday Party here on June 20th and everything was Great .Our service was Super and we had a fantastic group of servers. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful to us when it came time to plan the party. Sunny McNair(event coordinator) even showed up that evening on her day off to check on us. All 41 one of our guest had nothing but good things to say about the great rooms, food & creative drinks that weekend. We had such a Great Birthday there! There no doubt in our minds that we will return.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2009

What the ACE hotel does well, they do very well. What they do 'not so well', really stinks. The pool was awesome and we enjoyed the live entertainment on Sunday. They had a dj and two live bands. The pool had good deals on canned bear and some tasty drinks (margaritas with homemade mix). They had adult snow cones, which were regular snow cones with vodka. Very tasty. The prices of everything differed depending on what bartender helped us on Sunday and it seemed some of them just made up the price on the spot. While we ended up getting a few free beers this way, it was sort of annoying. There was a menu with the prices listed and if you ordered from the waiters who walked around, the prices were more consistent. The rooms were cool. A mix of retro and beachy, which we loved. Beds and pillows were comfortable. The food was good by the pool and in the restaurant. We had the fish tacos and a chicken salad (with avocado, corn, etc) for lunch. Salad was better than the tacos but both were great. For dinner we ate the brisket burger (amigo burger) and fries. The burger was tasty but the fries were ridiculously good. Now onto what was bad. On Saturday night we got back from a dinner in town around 10pm. We came to found out Eak A Mouse
was playing at the hotel. There is a building in the middle of the hotel complex that they are using for parties, concerts, etc. There were people everywhere and it was LOUD. We were not happy because we had not been told that there would be a band playing about 30 feet from our hotel room. We were planning on a relaxing nice by the fire with some wine. Our room was shaking it was so loud and this was going to continue until 1am. Not only the noise was bad but there people just hanging out and smoking in front of the rooms. We called to complain at the front desk and luckily they moved us to another room. They acted like we were the only ones to complain and told us this as well. They said they tried to inform all guests as they checked in and must have missed us. They didn't' offer us anything for the trouble, which was annoying. We also told the manager the next morning and he also did not offer to comp anything or offer up much of an apology. He said they are trying new things and working out the kinks, which we understand; however, as a paying customer, I think if you are troubled, the establishment should do something - maybe a free meal, a few drinks, etc to make up for it. If they had done something, this review would have been more positive. Even when we got moved to our new room, there was another party on that side of the hotel going on with loud music and someone on a microphone making annoucements. Luckily that one ended at 11pm and it was fairly quiet after that. The second big problem was the service. It was bad at the pool on Saturday. We waited over 30 minutes to be brought canned beer. After that we started going up to the bar ourselves to cut out the wait. Breakfast service at the restaurant was very bad on Sunday morning. We were told the service would be better at the bar so that is where we sat. We had to stop someone and ask after 10 - 15 min if we had a server. A guy came by a few minutes later and told us that he just found out we were his table. After that it was better. We would recommend staying here as long as you know what events are going on in the evening but if you want a more quiet and relaxing environment, you might want to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2009

The "urban outfitters" of hotels. fun funky and perfect for the urban hipster. Had fun chatting with other guests and loved the 24hr pool.
However, service was slow and unresponsive and the cleaning of rooms was not good...by day 4 I was soo ready to go. Rooms are pretty small (it is an old Howard Johnson). I would, however, go back...because the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Incredibly friendly and accomodating staff. Great food, both poolside and in the King's Highway restaurant where I had a fabulous pureed corn stuffed ravioli with parmigiano reggiano cheese. The breakfast there is also not to miss... we had chilaquiles and ricotta pancakes. Both fantastic.

My husband and I are both in our 30s, working in creative fields. We loved the fact that other clientele seemed to reflect our sensibilties, as well. If we had to guess, we'd say they probably were also creative 30-somethings. So, we all appreciated the little touches that abound at the Ace Hotel, from the record player in the room (we brought a dozen records and loved it) to the vintage photo booth in the lobby, the Hobo magazine in the room, and the open-to-whomever fireplaces all over the grounds.

The pool is excellent. Each chair has it's own shade attached and there are fantastic "umbrellas" all around that can be moved to any angle to block the intense sun. Then, all around the outer edge of the pool area is a covered wood structure, under which there are daybeds, hammocks, and picnic tables up for grabs. And the canopy above them is lined with a great misting system that kept us at a perfect temperature at all times.

To top it all off, we found a great little art gallery (Dezart One) in the Backstreet Arts District nearby and found a new piece of art to bring home with us and remind us of how we need to just take a break and head back to the Ace Hotel for a couple days.

One final note: It's a very family-friendly place without being completely overrun by little ones. Everyone is welcome and everyone seems to get along just fine. We especially loved seeing the couple on the bicycle-built-for-two (provided by Ace) and their two-year-old strapped into a seat on the front. Adorable.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple