“A nice stay at the Ace!”

Ace Hotel and Swim Club
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
San Diego, California
“A nice stay at the Ace!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband booked a room at the Ace as a surprise getaway for me and our dog over Labor Day weekend. We started looking at the reviews and got a little worried about the service, cleanliness, noise, party atmosphere, etc...but thought we should give it a try. We were very pleasantly surprised and liked it! Our room was in the 500 building--close enough to the action at the main pool but at the same time felt pretty serene. We booked one of the patio rooms because we had the dog with us, and we liked having that private space. The room was ok--great artwork on the walls, but the bathroom and floors were a little grungy and the room smelled a little musty, for the price you pay. We also didn't have any housekeeping that came by during our stay--probably an oversight because it was booked solid but was kind of a bummer.

The pools are fantastic though and the service poolside and by the front desk staff was top notch. I never went thirsty or hungry during our stay. We ate at the King's Highway restaurant and it was pretty good, and they offer a pretty good room service menu that is reasonably priced. Drinks were also reasonable and delicious. The front desk staff was also really nice, offering to charge our phones since we forgot our plugs. I didn't try the spa but the gym facilities were good.

The crowd is kind of hipster and "trying hard" as described in other reviews, but we also liked that there were not a lot of people with fake body parts strutting around, and everyone seemed mellow and cool. We also didn't feel like the oldest people there (we are in our late-30s/early-40s) which was nice too, and there were some people there with kids (although I don't think personally I would bring children there given that the atmosphere is festive and somewhat booze-fueled). Everyone was friendly with our dog, and they have a dog park in the back for dogs to do their business, which was a great perk if you are a pet owner.

Overall, good place, would have rated higher if the room had been a bit cleaner, and we had housekeeping service...but other than that, great!

Room Tip: If you don't want to party all night, ask for a room closer to the "quiet pool"...it d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The Ace has the buzz, the press, the parties, the scene that any hotel would kill for; the Ace also has one room - mine - that stinks, reeks, festers smells of fetid tomatoes, unwashed clothes and years of closeted dankness. The odor of the room was palpable as soon as I walked in, but I decided to invest in an aerosol air neutralizer rather than ask to look at yet another room. Exhausted from emptying out my just-sold house, I only wanted to sleep for two days before leaving town. I chose the Ace because it was close to said house, and because of aforementioned rep; gosh, I wish I had chosen any other hotel.

The odor of the room aside - and it is hard to put that aside, I used that entire aerosol can in my two nights - there was the ubiquitous presence of the very unattractive house cleaning cart sitting outside my door for two days. There were those flat, hardened pillows lying on the bed that sat almost at floor level. There were the burned out bulbs in the bed side lamps - two lamps, two burned out bulbs, give me a break. There were the curtains that really didn't close fully against the eastern morning light. There was the scattershot service in the restaurant, though if I had to listen to that music that loud through my whole workday I might be more than scattershot at the end of the day.

What did I like? Well Koffi right across the street, what could be wrong with that! The wake-up call came right on time ... and, closing the door behind me and leaving behind that horrid noisome odor and an empty can of odor neutralizer (the room odor won, the odor neutralizer tried it's best but failed.

Room Tip: I really couldn't say other than avoid Rm 309 as if it had the plague, which perhaps it does.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank William B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am 1 of 3 fifteen year old boys that went on a trip with their mother to Joshua Tree and slept at the Ace Hotel for a night before we headed back to Los Angeles. When we checked in there were ropes hanging from the walls. I immediately had a bad feeling. We got 2 rooms. 1 for us and 1 for my mom. We had to wait in the lobby for 30 minutes while they removed the alcohol from the mini bar in our room. When we got to our room there were odd things such as curtains and drapes everywhere and weird white blotches everywhere. We were quick to find the cause of such monstrosities. The bed on the patio was black. We thought it was painted black so i sat down on it and suddenly my body was covered in black dust! In the mini bar there was a Intimacy kit containing condoms and lube. We are fifteen and definitely do not swing that way. As we were going to bed I found a blotch of clear sticky substance on my bed sheets and immediately jumped up and screamed. We found a used condom under the king bed when we were packing up in the morning!
This has been one of the worst hotel experiences i have ever had!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Cole H
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Our first time in Palm Springs, my boyfriend and I were pumped to stay at the Ace as we'd heard great things and my friend was having her birthday party there. We arrived, were able to check into our room early, and had an awesome time at the pool with friends. The drink service was great, and the pool was amazing aside from a few over-served 22 year olds next to us who were into some pretty aggressive PDA.

After grabbing some dinner at the restaurant which was fine, we went back to our room to shower, and noticed it was a little warm. We turned down the air a bit and waited to see if it would cool off. It didn't.

We left again, thinking surely it would be cool when we got back from hanging out with friends, but... it wasn't. So we called the front desk and they immediately sent someone to check it out. The "technician" was really nice about it and pushed a few buttons and told us to wait it out. Which we did, until the misery set in.

I called the front desk again, asking if they had a fan we could borrow, because clearly our A/C is not going to function in our room that night, and we were desperate for any kind of relief. The man who answered couldn't find one and sincerely apologized, reassuring me that he would make a note on our bill to discount us for the inconvenience.

After a night of sleeping for maybe 2 hours total on top of the sheets in the hotel room we went to breakfast and checked out, wanting to get back to LA as fast as possible just so we could simply get some sleep. At the check out, a hungover receptionist informed me that no note was made about discounting us, and then "generously" removed the "hotel fee" of $20 off our $290 bill.

I understand that sometimes machines crap out and there's not much you can do about it, but it was really disappointing that they didn't offer to move us to a room with a functioning A/C, refund our bill, or even try to fix the A/C. We were left baffled that a hotel that charges $200/night made barely any kind of effort to help us or even really acknowledge the problem at all.

I really loved the vibe of the place and was cool with paying for the experience, but now I'm left questioning whether I'd want to return.

Room Tip: Make sure your A/C is working right when you get there or ask to change rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sibley6
Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

I loved the Ace Hotel! I wasn't sure at first but it didn't take long for me to realize it was exactly the atmosphere I wanted. The environment is so laid back and so fun. The one down side was the broken air conditioner in our room! But, they were really nice about it. They moved our room as soon as they could and put fans in our room in the mean time. They also gave us a nice discount for the inconvenience. The management was really nice and attentive to show they cared. I also love that the pool is open til 2:00 am. I can't wait to stay at the Ace again and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2012
GMDibler, General Manager at Ace Hotel and Swim Club, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments! I apologize for our A/C system going out in your section, it is a rarity for us but if it happens we understand how horrible it can be in the desert. We look forward to having you out again!
surrey, UK
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here as part of a two week road trip between LA, Palm Springs and Vegas. I was travelling with my partner, and two kids aged 13 and 5. Ambivalent to whether would stay here again.

How long did we stay?
3 nights

Where we booked/how much we paid –
Booked via www.octopus.com for £55 per night about 4 months before our stay. This was for a quad room (two doubles)

About the place-
Ace have a number of hotels in the USA, this one is also advertised as a pool club.

Locally -
On a main road so easy access to downtown Plam springs. Few restuarants and shops within easy drive or bike ride of it werent August!!!!

Favourite bits –
Plenty of parking – we parked just near our room
Yummy food in the restaurant – definitely recommend the fries and the crisps and dips
Lovely pool area with plenty of sunbeds, sunshades, spray air con to coll you down etc. Pool area was always clean.
Jacuzzi pool as well as main large pool. No kids pool.
Palm springs is lovely and this hotel is about 5mins drive from downtown. Although its on a main road we could not hear the road at all.
Its a retro style hotel, a bit quirky but certainly different
Toiletries in the bathroom were lovely – good quality shampoo and conditioner in large bottles – none of this disposable rubbish!! Can also purchase it to take home if you like

Bits we disliked/or could be improved –
The reception staff were generally uninterested with all my dealings with them. Upon checkin I was given no information and he ignored any of my questions. I had booked under two separate reservations over three nights, he confirmed I would keep the same room. However on the afternoon before the last day I received a rude call stating I had not booked the same type of room and would need to move. They then called back to say I could pay the difference, which I refused as my booking clearly stated I had paid for a quad room. On my return to the reception that member of staff wasn’t available, they simply asked me to sign to keep the room. They were unable to let me know how much I would be charged.....so until I get my credit card statement I still have no idea!! I don’t know if this is the hotel or octopus.com mess up but either way it was not dealt with professionally by the hotel staff.
There was a cow hide as decoration in our room – it made the room smell gross!!
Quite noisy in our room over the weekend. Could hear lots of banging of doors all night....

Any tips-
I wouldn’t discourage anyone from staying here however Im not sure it would be my first choice on return. The price is good, the pool is lovely. However this is just an upmarket slightly quirky motel.
While in Palm springs we went to the aerial tramway – lovely, the villagefest on Thurs evenings, the air museum, the living desert , outlet centre about 30mins away and enjoyed lots of the lovely local restaurants. Would recommend 4-5 days in the area.
There is a $20 resort fee per night which includes bike hire, pool use etc.

Weblinks
www.visitpalmsprings.com

Room Tip: Upgrade to a pool view suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank willowhopkins
London
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Recently stayed in this great hotel with a very small baby and we all had a brilliant experience. The rooms are comfortable, clean and very cool, with some great little details and features.

The pools were excellent and we spent all our time in the second, smaller pool as ths was quiet and peaceful and we virtually had it to ourselves. Food in the bar and restaurant was great and good value.

There were plenty of kids there when we visited and the hotel was very accommodating to our little one (only 4 months old at the time) but I wouldn't call this a family hotel - which is certainly not a criticism! It definitely has a party vibe to it with a cool hipster type crowd, lapping up the old motel style and laid-back ambience. I have never stayed at an Ace before but will definitely check out the other hotels now.

Room Tip: We had a (more expensive) room with private patio and loved having the private outdoor space, but re...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends