“Comfortable room but WiFi issue”

The Monroe Palm Springs
Ranked #52 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Ketchum, Idaho
“Comfortable room but WiFi issue”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at The Monroe for one Friday evening at the end of February and found my room comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.The Monroe is a renovated "motor lodge" style of motel, with two levels and outside entrances to your room. The room interiors have been remodeled with a retro-contemporary aesthetic; nice looking and comfortable, but not expensive furnishings. I found the bed and linens comfortable for my night's sleep, although I did request an additional blanket for warmth.

There are two things that I think people should be aware of. One is an apparent issue with the WiFi connection and the second is with the traffic noise. When first trying to connect to the WiFi, I kept getting a message box saying that the pass-code I was entering was incorrect. I re-checked the number code and re-entered the code a handful of times with the same message appearing. I called to the front desk and the gentleman who answered said he would be right up. He promptly appeared and tried a few times to connect my iPad but with the same message appearing. He said that he had seen this happen a few times in the past and suggested moving towards the office downstairs to see if we could connect. He said that customers had been able to connect in the office and then stay connected when they returned to their room. I easily connected to their WiFi in the office but disconnected again as I returned to my second level room. So I returned to the lobby to take care of my online business and while I was there a woman popped in and said that if people were having trouble connecting to the internet to keep trying. She said she was finally able to connect after repeatedly entering in the code. When I mentioned it the next morning as I was checking out, the person said they had never heard of problems, but did say they would let the manager know of the issue. I think the gentleman that tried to help me the night before was honest in his comment that there have been ongoing intermittent problems with their system. If you need a reliable internet connection, this may be a problem for you.

The second consideration would be the road noise. I stayed on the second floor facing the pool. Without the air-conditioner running, I could easily hear all of the outside noise coming from the main avenue the motel sits on as well as the people mingling around the pool. I was in need of sleep, so I went to bed early, put in ear plugs and turned on the air-conditioner. I woke early morning and turned the air-conditioner off because it was audible through my earplugs. I woke shortly after to the sound of the morning traffic and some people talking in the pool area.

The Monroe is a comfortable motel to stay and reasonably priced but be aware of the potential WiFi problem and the lack of soundproofing in the rooms. The rooms facing the side parking lot might be more protected from the road noise.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Staff was friendly, property clean. Room was small and very basic. Not great construction. Guests above us were very loud. Sounded like kids jumping.Redo of a former budget hotel. Breakfast coupons at Rick's across the street were great.

Room Tip: Pool views would be quieter than the parking lot. 2nd floor might be as well. Beds were comfortable
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Greg P
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Friendly staff. Rooms were updated and comfortable. The price was reasonable for Palm Springs this time of the year. It was a pretty busy weekend in PS. It is a basic hotel and I give it a 4 star rating based on price, service and cleanliness of the rooms. We would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank joeblowHB
Encino, CA
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great hotel/motel for the price. The Monroe is a refurbished motel and the owners did a great job on the remodel. The furniture, floors, and bathroom were all modern, clean, and cool looking. The staff was accommodating, personable, and very helpful. I based my rating on the class of hotel, so don't expect The Four Seasons based on the "Excellent" rating. For a converted motel, The Monroe is a clear 5 stars/dots.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Corey0528
Riverside, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here two nights for Modernism Week (Vintage Trailer Show)- nice room, very comfortable beds. Pool area is great- heated pool and a jacuzzi. Staff was very friendly- a worker even went to the office and got us towels while we were in the pool. We didn't ask- he offered! Check in was fast- very clean hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Eat at Rick's Coffee Shop right across the street. Food is amazing.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Menifee, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was introduced to this hotel as part of our stay and involvement in Modernism Week and the Vintage Trailer Show. I am pleased to say that they helped make our time in Palm Springs a great success. The staff was polite and friendly. I loved the clean and sustainable way they approached the rooms. Prices, beds, bathrooms and ease of getting in and out. Ricks across the street for breakfast. They get an A+ in my book and I will certainly return! Thank You Monroe for going above and beyond for all of us Vintage Trailerites!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Laguna Beach
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend with the other participants on the Vintage Trsiler Show that was part of Modernism Week. It was perfect for our large group. Service was super friendly, and our room was great: clean, well-outfitted and comfortable on all levels. Near everything in Palm Springs. Rick's restaurant across street was nifty breakfast place and fun BBQ at Cowboy BBQ next door. Also, nice pool and jacuzzi. Only down side was Internet was spotty and on busy street. I would happily stay here again!!

Stayed February 2014