“Group Stay in the best way”

The Monroe Palm Springs
Ranked #51 of 74 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was introduced to this hotel as part of our stay and involvement in Modernism Week and the Vintage Trailer Show. I am pleased to say that they helped make our time in Palm Springs a great success. The staff was polite and friendly. I loved the clean and sustainable way they approached the rooms. Prices, beds, bathrooms and ease of getting in and out. Ricks across the street for breakfast. They get an A+ in my book and I will certainly return! Thank You Monroe for going above and beyond for all of us Vintage Trailerites!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here last weekend with the other participants on the Vintage Trsiler Show that was part of Modernism Week. It was perfect for our large group. Service was super friendly, and our room was great: clean, well-outfitted and comfortable on all levels. Near everything in Palm Springs. Rick's restaurant across street was nifty breakfast place and fun BBQ at Cowboy BBQ next door. Also, nice pool and jacuzzi. Only down side was Internet was spotty and on busy street. I would happily stay here again!!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Janine R
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am constantly on the lookout for great hotels in the Palm Springs area since it is one of my boyfriend and I's favorite places. I came across The Monroe while searching for an affordable choice for the Valentine's weekend. We were very pleasantly surprised.

The location is just north of the main strip and only a few minutes drives to all the shops and dining. When we pulled up I did have to warn my boyfriend that I had seen pictures of the hotel online and that he shouldn't judge but the exterior. It definitely is in need of a major overhaul of the outside paint and stuck in the 80's stucco style. The hotel clerk was very friendly and accommodating as he quickly gave us our keys and free breakfast vouchers. The vouchers are for a diner across the street. We did not end up using them so I am unable to tell you how good the breakfast offerings are.

We booked a single king room. When we opened the door I actually thought we were in the wrong room. It appeared to be a suite. Much larger than what I expected! Still not sure if we got an upgrade or if this is how their king rooms are. Besides the bed there was a couch and chair along with a small dining table and 2 chairs. Everything had been renovated to a modernistic style. In the vein of mid-century. Colors are vibrant and appealing. The floors are done in a vinyl type hardwood pattern. Many previous reviewers made snide comments that the floors aren't real hardwood. I might be wrong but i'm pretty sure the hotel doesn't claim it is real hardwood so get over it people. I much prefer the fake to nasty carpet anyways!

There is a large tv, safe, microwave, refrigerator as well as a small table area for your coffee maker, free coffee and tea pods as well as the ice bucket and glasses. There were two robes and two pairs of slippers offered for our use along with the standard shampoo, conditioner and lotions. There was a hairdryer and a lighted magnifying mirror in the vanity area which is outside the actual bathroom. My only complaint was that the huge counter space would have been much more inviting with a second sink and more outlets. My boyfriend and I trying to share that small area near the sink & outlet was a bit inconvenient. The bathroom was functional. A toilet and bath/shower combo were the only things in the room. Unfortunately, our toilet did not flush well but we learned to hold the handle down after use. Not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience. I made sure to let the hotel clerk know and he wrote it up on their maintenance form right then and there. The shower worked fine. Water pressure could have been better but isn't that always the case at hotels? :-)

There is a king sized bed with nice linens and nightstands on both sides. Plenty of soft, comfy pillows as well. I prefer very firm mattresses and this was fairly soft. If that's a deal breaker for you then this may not be the place for you.

We only stayed one night and this place was definitely a good value. However, we stayed in room 118 and it was right on the corner and facing the parking lot and the stairwell. All of which made for a very noisy stay. It's on the main walkway to the pool and we were constantly hearing people as they walked by or came down the stairs. The room could use some sound-proofing. I am definitely open to staying again but my boyfriend and I agree that we want a room on the backside of the hotel away from the walkway and main parking lot.

Room Tip: Rooms at the backside of the hotel seem like they'd be the most quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie P
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Monroe is a like an unexpected but wonderful surprise - the rates are low enough that it is easy to arrive with fairly low expectations. From the outside the hotel does not impress, but the management, amenities, and comfort are what win you over. We stayed in a room with two queen beds that comfortably slept 4 adults (not always an easy task) and since we were not in the room for long periods during the day, the size of the room (ample enough to freely move about, but not spacious) was not a problem. There is an unstocked mini-refrigerator in the room and bottled water provided. There is food in the "lobby" as best we could tell round-the-clock - what a nice touch to offer fruit, oatmeal, granola bars in the morning in addition to the breakfast coupons, as well as treats in the afternoon/evening. In addition to coffee/tea in the lobby there was also always something cool (lemonade or apple juice) to drink. These little touches are always welcome.

It is important to keep in mind that not only is the rate affordable for a hotel room in Palm Springs, but the rate includes breakfast coupons to the restaurant located across the street which provides at least an additional $6.99 (no tax)/person value. For four people, this was a savings of over $30 since we did not have to pay tax either for breakfast (we did leave a nice tip of course!).

One final note - the property is located on the north side of downtown Palm Springs making it extremely convenient to both Palm Springs proper and to the freeway which is useful if visiting other parts of the Coachella Valley.

Room Tip: The 100 building is a bit closer to the street than the rooms in the 200 building. The rooms facing...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Very nice, very clean and very well managed. Desk personnel extremely friendly and knowledgeable of Palm Springs and surrounding area. Located within walking distance of shopping and many fine restaurants. Reasonable rates, very competitive. Won't disappoint.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This place is my home away from home! I live in Los Angeles, and go to Palm Springs a lot, with and without my roommate. He loves this place as much as I do. When I first started staying here 3 years ago, it was an AMERICAS BEST VALUE INN, and when it came under new ownership since then, it went from being ok, to really a comfy, as well as enjoyable place to stay. The place was remodeled, and a free breakfast @ Rick's Restaurant across the street was added. The wonderful staff makes us feel like welcome guests and the newly restored rooms quiet and relaxing. I have stayed here many times, and never had a problem with anything. Maybe I should just live here! We'll talk about that later.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joseph V
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We loved this place. We had previously stayed at the hotel across the street paying a higher rate. The Monroe personnel were very friendly and helpful. We felt very welcome. The rooms were clean and modern having been recently remodeled. We were on the first floor near the office and there was noise from the 2nd floor room at midnight and a little street noise.

Room Tip: We loved this place. We had stayed across the street several times at a higher rate. The personnel w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family