“Dirty, unkept hotel”

Ranked #49 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Twentynine Palms, California
“Dirty, unkept hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

We arrived to be told "we" had changed our online booking date, which we hadn't. We were informed that as the room we booked was no longer available we would get an upgrade. The upgraded room was in poor condition. I had difficulties turning taps on and off and the room was spacious but very basic (required a trip down to reception to collect coffee and creamer). The staff member in reception was rude and unhelpful. Would not stay again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Korean first
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

Excellent location and very friendly staff, the beds were fine, however the place was not very clean in general. Overall good experience.

Room Tip: Get this hotel if you only care about a clean bed and free wifi.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Riverside
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed here for one night and chose this hotel due to price and location. Got a great deal on the room, was a smoking room and it was horrible. Bed had a mattress protector on it which made me feel like I was sleeping on a trash bag. There is a fridge and safe, no microwave or hair dryer (so bring your own) Location was great, being close to downtown. Seemed a little shady with those staying there also. A bunch of teenagers running in and out of rooms during weird hours of the night. I should have paid a few more dollars to get a nicer hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank CA_Shanna
Covina, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

Was in Palm Springs for a weekend to play in a softball tournament, so all we really needed was a place that was somewhat inexpensive, clean and comfortable to sleep and that would allow pets. Location to the fields where we would be playing was a secondary concern. After some time checking out the internet discount travel websites, I came across this hotel. Finding a decent hotel at a good price in this desert resort town on the weekend was very challenging.

The price for this hotel was under $100 a day and I got what I paid for...a relatively clean and quiet place to sleep that would allow our dog to stay with us. There were no surprises at check-in and we got exactly the type of room we requested. My initial reaction when I entered the room was that it was large enough, relatively clean and did not smell. The beds did not sag, but I have slept on a more comfortable bed. The AC worked fine and was not overly noisey. The pool and jacuzzi were clear and clean. The jacuzzi was hot and a very welcome respite after 5 games of softball in one day.

The location of the hotel is about 2 miles north of downtown Palm Springs. It made for a lot less tourist traffic and noise. The hotel is situated between two major roadways in and out of the city, but I did not notice any residual traffic sounds. This may be due to the fact that my hotel room faced the pool and located on the inner area of the hotel.

There are restaurants on either side of the hotel that serve breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as a 24 hour 7/11 within a couple minutes walk from the hotel.

The morning breakfast consisted of muffins, yogurt, and juices. They were fresh and tasty. Only two small tables in the loby to sit at, so I took it back to the room.

This is definitely a budget hotel. Can it use a face lift...yes...could the beds be more comfortable...yes...could it be cleaner....yes...but is it the worst place to stay ...not really...in the end...You Get What You Pay For!!

Room Tip: I would suggest the pool facing rooms on the second floor. They seemed to be the quietest.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe C
Long Beach, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

This is the absolute worst place EVER!!!! I never felt so unsafe in my life! The police were there when my friend arrived and as I arrived they were coming again! DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN TO THIS PLACE!!! Being dirty was not as the worst part! I felt bad for the coach roaches that live there!!!! Please, if you value your family and their well being, do not stay in this dive with the rudest people in the office! Barbara and Peter need some PR skills! UNSAFE, DIRTY, RUDE!!! If there was way to give negative ratings, this would be a negative 100!!! So, Run, Don't Walk far away from this so called Inn!!!!

Room Tip: DON'T Go elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

I booked a room online for the night of March 12, 2011. An hour later someone from the hotel called to say the online system was incorrect and that they were sold out. When my credit card statement came the next month, I was still charged for the room. I contacted them, but they claimed they weren't sold out that night and that I must have just forgotten that I booked the room. HA. I had to call about a dozen hotels that day to find another room because everywhere was sold out, so no I DID NOT FORGET and YES they were sold out.

I am now fighting the charge with my credit card company. BEWARE OF THIS PLACE!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank dwr4msu
Alta Loma, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed at a ABVI located at 1900 North Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, CA, US 92262.

We will NEVER stay there or another ABVI again. It was an awful experience.
1. We requested non-smoking and although we were in a non-smoking room, it smelled like smoke, there were cigarette burns in the comforter and sheets, and it was surrounded by smoking rooms (what is the point of non-smoking).

2. Our reservation specified that our room would have a mini fridge- which it did not have. Also we were supposed to have "free wi-fi", again, this was NOT an amenity. Our reservation specified that our room would come with a microwave, and it did not.

3. The entire building including the rooms were dirty. There was a leak in the ceiling that they tried to paint over- I would be willing to bet that mold was growing in the walls.

4. The service was horrendous! The woman at the front desk “Barbara” absolutely REFUSED to let us check in at 2:30, because check-in time was 3pm. We asked housekeeping if there were rooms available, and they told us that there were plenty of rooms that were clean and ready for check-in. Instead, Barbara hung up on us when we called to see if we could check-in early and when we arrived at 2:30 she allowed a 7 month pregnant woman to stand in the lobby for 30 minutes because she had to make her point that check-in was 3pm. When we questioned her on the status of available and clean rooms, her response was “I don’t care, this is the rule and you are not special.” When I asked if I could speak with a supervisor she told me that she was the supervisor and the owner and that I was “out of luck.”

5. Lastly, as if our experience was not bad enough, we were in our room and about 3AM the loudest screeching noise started to come from the walls. The hotel must have a problem with the plumbing because from our room (235) the pipes in the walls whistled and screeched ALL NIGHT…from 3am until check out at 11am. When we complained about the noise we were told that they were sold out and they didn’t have any solution for the noise and they “didn’t know what we were talking about.” When we asked for a discount at check-out we were told “no” that is what you agreed to pay.

I was EXTREMELY unhappy with my stay with ABVI